Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Vikings

KDawg

The team looks like a 2-14 team to me, maybe 3-13?  It surprises me.  I didn't think they'd be great before the season but thought they'd be mediocre.  The team IMO has underachieved this season both with Jay and Callahan.   The main difference with Callahan is we are bleeding the clock -- which thus far has made our offense look impotent especially oddly in the red zone (that's the downside) but at the same time keeping the defense off the field has made that unit look stronger.  So it balances out to loses but we are just losing in a different way.

And that's cool with me.  I can't root for them to lose games in real time.   But I do think there is a major upside to losing.  See what happened to SF's defense when they added Bosa.  Right now, we are headed straight down the highway towards Chase Young which IMO will do wonders for this defense.  I think he will be the best pass rusher this team has had since Dexter.

As for Callahan?  To me he's "meh" so far.  Don't love him.  Don't hate him.  If he floats some people's boat, that's cool.  It's a tough season to enjoy.  So for some if its Callahan that makes it more enjoyable -- cool.    For me its some of the young players like McLaurin and with each loss it makes watching college games more fun for me because instead of pining for the Joey Bosa types -- now we are looking poised to get a dude like that.

I am guessing the ceiling right now is 3-13, I'd bet on 2-14.  I think they can win 1-2 games among this slate but tough to guess which ones:  Buffalo, Jets, NY Giants, Lions.  If I hazard a guess I'd say we beat the Jets.  

13 hours ago, UK Skins said:

The best thing - watching Cousins and thinking "I'm so glad we didn't pay him what he wanted!!" Diggs and Cook looked world beaters but what an average team otherwise. Agree with the folks saying we would have won with Keenum. And that's not saying much about the Vikings!!!

The Cousins I watched completed 23 for 26 for 285 yards. He threw the ball away twice and had one dropped. Not much room for improvement.

For the year, his passing rating is the best in the NFL. But hey, thank God we don't have a QB like that here.

50 minutes ago, Kelvin Bryant said:

The Cousins I watched completed 23 for 26 for 285 yards. He threw the ball away twice and had one dropped. Not much room for improvement.

For the year, his passing rating is the best in the NFL. But hey, thank God we don't have a QB like that here.

Yeah some fans are in denial. He was good enough to win and build with. 

But the redskins fa doubled down on the poor handling of cousins by paying Alex Smith not much less. Now I don’t think we could have foreseen his injury, and for that we are unlucky, but we should have hit the reset button.

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

Mild curiosity... not that I disagree...

But how do you view Alex Smith?

Was never a big fan of his maybe his win pct in kansas city was good but it wasnt all that in san fran in this day in age if you cant score you cant win yeah we were 6-3 with him Last year but it was a fluke he had ten tds in 9 games and any good team we faced beat us handily I definitely didnt think he was worth the contract we signed him to....

17 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Lol I wanted to trade Kirk before his first Tag and sign Case. :ols:

everyone thought I was an idiot. And I might be, but not this time!

The what now?

This is a joke right?

32 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Was never a big fan of his maybe his win pct in kansas city was good but it wasnt all that in san fran in this day in age if you cant score you cant win yeah we were 6-3 with him Last year but it was a fluke he had ten tds in 9 games and any good team we faced beat us handily I definitely didnt think he was worth the contract we signed him to....

This is a joke right?

No it's not a joke.

10 hours ago, Kelvin Bryant said:

The level of hatred and delusion it requires for a Redskins fan to watch Cousins play and think ‘Man, thank god we didn’t get stuck with that’ is off the charts.  The ironic part of Cousins performance against us was that he played an optimal Alex Smith type game.  No touchdowns, no turnovers, behind a stout running game, and left with a win against a bad team.  That was a big thing with the folks who really bought into last years 6-4 start with Smith.  That his conservative approach led to less turnovers and a rested defense, and ultimately more wins.  Cousins showed everyone against the Skins that he’s clearly capable of the same thing.  Why that’s ever been in question is beyond me, considering he never had a running game or remotely decent defense while here.  But after watching Case, Colt and Haskins 4 quarters, to think a Redskins fan could watch Cousins play and think ‘phew, glad we didn’t get stuck with that’ would be laughable if not so utterly sad what Snyderitis has done to infect the minds of some of our fanbase.

Didn't chart this, just the eyeball test, but it looks to me like we are running a lot less zone under Callahan.  We were plagued with negative rushing attempts under Gruden and it appears that a philisophical change has given us competent rushing attack.  It hasn't translated to points on the scorebaord but seems to be a step in the right direction.

1 hour ago, Snagletooth said:

Didn't chart this, just the eyeball test, but it looks to me like we are running a lot less zone under Callahan.  We were plagued with negative rushing attempts under Gruden and it appears that a philisophical change has given us competent rushing attack.  It hasn't translated to points on the scorebaord but seems to be a step in the right direction.

I don’t dislike Callahan.  But he needs to be more animated on the sideline.  I don’t get to see him on every down.  But I don’t get the sense he inspires players.  I could be wrong.

17 hours ago, sportjunkie07 said:

Yeah some fans are in denial. He was good enough to win and build with. 

But the redskins fa doubled down on the poor handling of cousins by paying Alex Smith not much less. Now I don’t think we could have foreseen his injury, and for that we are unlucky, but we should have hit the reset button.

Somehow we did:

Smith

McCoy

Sanchez

Johnson

Keenum

Haskins

5 hours ago, Vanguard said:

I don’t dislike Callahan.  But he needs to be more animated on the sideline.  I don’t get to see him on every down.  But I don’t get the sense he inspires players.  I could be wrong.

I’m not sold on Callahan in any capacity, but I don’t subscribe to this theory where NFL players will run through walls for head coaches and subsequently give no effort for coaches they don’t like.  Not in October.  

8 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

The level of hatred and delusion it requires for a Redskins fan to watch Cousins play and think ‘Man, thank god we didn’t get stuck with that’ is off the charts.  The ironic part of Cousins performance against us was that he played an optimal Alex Smith type game.  No touchdowns, no turnovers, behind a stout running game, and left with a win against a bad team.  That was a big thing with the folks who really bought into last years 6-4 start with Smith.  That his conservative approach led to less turnovers and a rested defense, and ultimately more wins.  Cousins showed everyone against the Skins that he’s clearly capable of the same thing.  Why that’s ever been in question is beyond me, considering he never had a running game or remotely decent defense while here.  But after watching Case, Colt and Haskins 4 quarters, to think a Redskins fan could watch Cousins play and think ‘phew, glad we didn’t get stuck with that’ would be laughable if not so utterly sad what Snyderitis has done to infect the minds of some of our fanbase.

I don't usually agree with a word you say but that's a very fair assessment and could indicate that Cousins is happier (maybe even better coached) in Minnesota? The guys throwing out gaudy stats though are as usual missing the fact that most of Cousins yardage came on a couple of wide open Diggs catches and some screens. I wish I could say that even Keenum could have made those, although I'm not convinced, and maybe that's an area we agree on 🙂 I still don't buy in to the "we should have paid Cousins whatever he wanted" argument though and his performance on Thursday didn't change that viewpoint for me.

Archived