Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Disciplined, commitment to the run football back in DC and it works! Who knew?

Gibbs Hog Heaven

A commitment to the run is dependent on gameflow, time, and the score. You're kidding yourself if you somehow think a "commitment to the run by our new head coach" has any validity.  

You cannot commit to the run when you are playing against far superior offenses who put you behind 2 or 3 scores in a manner of minutes. 

The only difference here is that we were playing the dolphins, who weren't good enough to get ahead of us. Their incompetence allowed us the flexibility to run the ball. Not to mention, the lanes were more open today than they were throughout the rest of the year.  

I do appreciate the lack of penalties and more disciplined play though, it certainly helps out with the running game. 

And Callahan seems to be willing to work with AP unlike gruden, which is nice. 

Kyle S. Is going to throw on some aviators, have a bowl of cream of wheat, and sit back while his squad runs us hard and rough.

The lube? That's staying in the drawer next weekend. 

Feel good now, OP, because we're going to need a vat of Preparation H next Monday. 

10 minutes ago, ExoDus84 said:

Feel good now, OP, because we're going to need a vat of Preparation H next Monday. 

If we remain disciplined and committed to getting the fundamentals right, I'll feel great even with a walloping off the 9ers next Sunday. 

The results immaterial. ALL about the process, as much through the week as Sunday's right now, and development therein. However incremental that comes. 

Hail. 

The Dolphins threw the game. Let's not pretend otherwise. And that's not even taking into account their crap roster and the amount of "injured" players they have who didn't suit up.

And we had plenty of penalties.

This game changed nothing. And Callahan was lost on the sidelines when it comes to HC decisions near halftime and end of game. My God.

16 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

If we remain disciplined and committed to getting the fundamentals right, I'll feel great even with a walloping off the 9ers next Sunday. 

The results immaterial. ALL about the process, as much through the week as Sunday's right now, and development therein. However incremental that comes. 

Hail. 

This mindset is what Dan and Bruce’s dreams are made of.  That it’s okay to lose and lose badly.  Because there is something greater at play here.  Sheesh.

4 minutes ago, Gibbs Hog Heaven said:

Because of course that's what I said and meant. 

Context is your friend. 

Hail. 

Of course you didn’t say that, it’s just my opinion of what you’ve been saying.  It appears I’m not alone in that regard.

The penalties will return next Sunday when facing legit competition.  Additionally, if they try to run AP for the sake of running AP, Tress way is going to have a sore leg.

49ers are not the Dolphins.  49ers  are 2nd currently ( I think) in total defense. 1st in YPG.  6th against the run.  The dolphins on the other hand are at the bottom.  

The Redskins run game will go nowhere against the 49ers.  This game will be so ugly.  I think they will put a bigger beating on the Skins than the Pats did.  Kyle will happily run the score up and there is nothing the Skins will be able to do to stop it.

They embarrassed the Browns and the Browns would own the Skins if they played.   prepare for a blood letting of epic proportions.

2 hours ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

Dolphins purposely flopped that XP to get the #1 pick. Most obvious tank job in the history of sports.

CCharlie Weis said it on the radio this morning. They called a play they knew wouldn't work against that specific defense on that play.

Obvious tank job.

Just now, Califan007 said:

Hasn't that been the mantra of those fans who want to get the #1 overall draft pick?...

Clearly for entirely different reasons.  Those fans are accepting that this team is going nowheresville, so why not try to acquire an elite player at the top of the draft?  Preferably selected by someone else without influence by Dan or Bruce.

The other side is that they are actually building on something here even if they are losing.  That’s just crap to me.  Especially on the heels of the mockery of pro football we watched yesterday.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Clearly for entirely different reasons.  Those fans are accepting that this team is going nowheresville, so why not try to acquire an elite player at the top of the draft?  Preferably selected by someone else without influence by Dan or Bruce.

The other side is that they are actually building on something here even if they are losing.  That’s just crap to me.  Especially on the heels of the mockery of pro football we watched yesterday.

Doesn't matter...both sides are saying the same thing to Dan and Bruce: it's ok if the Skins suck as long as it's in service of something larger that will ultimately make the team better.

13 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Hasn't that been the mantra of those fans who want to get the #1 overall draft pick?...

Good point.   49ers were 4-12 last year, 6-10 the year before.  I think we are poised to match a similar run.  They add Bosa to their D line, get settled at QB.  Now the idea of us beating the 49ers is comedy.   We likewise would benefit from a stud D lineman to the mix -- I want to be on that bullet train to a top 3 pick. 

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Doesn't matter...both sides are saying the same thing to Dan and Bruce: it's ok if the Skins suck as long as it's in service of something larger that will ultimately make the team better.

I don't get the sense from those who cover the team (I even had a few exchanges with Larry Michael on it) that Dan-Bruce believe in a moral victory to get a high pick.  But I do agree that plenty of fans do -- me included. 

Just now, Califan007 said:

This is a far reach.  One side is actively rooting for losses to force change and for a chance to obtain a player(s) that will make the team better.  One side just believes that there is something greater within what’s already here.  Dan and Bruce would much prefer fans getting behind what’s already here for obvious reasons.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Good point.   Yes lets go old school.  49ers were 4-12 last year, 6-10 the year before.  I think we are poised to match a similar run.  They add Bosa to their D line, get settled at QB.  Now the idea of us beating the 49ers is comedy.   We likewise would benefit from a stud D lineman to the mix -- I want to be on that bullet train to a top 3 pick. 

LOL @ that part in bold 😂....so damn true.

At the same time, though--and somewhat reflecting what you said--I wouldn't mind spending this season toughening up the players, getting into a more smashmouth mentality and identity, adding a stud D lineman (again, like you said), upgrading on the OLine as well (top 3 pick and all) and putting Haskins behind center next year with a stronger new team, strong new coach and strong new D-Coordinator. Allen being gone and Kyle Smith promoted would be the ultimate cherry on top.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I don't get the sense from those who cover the team (I even had a few exchanges with Larry Michael on it) that Dan-Bruce believe in a moral victory to get a high pick.  But I do agree that plenty of fans do -- me included. 

I never thought they felt that way, either. I actually don't know how much they pay attention to what fans claim and clamor for--not sure how much I want my owner and team president to do that anyway, at least when it comes to on-the-field decisions. I was mostly, though, talking about whether or not fans having that "it's ok to suck as long as it's in service of something that will improve the team down the road" is good, bad. or irrelevant when it comes to Snyder and Allen. I guess option C is the best guess lol...

9 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

LOL @ that part in bold 😂....so damn true.

At the same time, though--and somewhat reflecting what you said--I wouldn't mind spending this season toughening up the players, getting into a more smashmouth mentality and identity, adding a stud D lineman (again, like you said), upgrading on the OLine as well (top 3 pick and all) and putting Haskins behind center next year with a stronger new team, strong new coach and strong new D-Coordinator. Allen being gone and Kyle Smith promoted would be the ultimate cherry on top.

It's hard for me to look at the draft and not be specific versus theoretical.    And you don't have to be a rocket scientist to see Chase Young is special.   IMO if you add a K. Mack, Von Miller, Bosa type killer pass rusher on the edge to what they have already cooking on the interior it could be a game changer.  See what happened to the Bears last year and the 49ers this year.  It's a big big deal. 

For me there is nothing that Callahan is doing or not doing that makes me veer from that point.   I just think there is a little chance the dude is the HC next year and in my view every HC brings their own culture.   I think a killer pass rusher or adding another stud player beats anything else that an interim coach does.    I don't think this team's talent is that great but IMO it also isn't that bad.    I think its a pass rusher, CB, QB, O lineman away from a major leap.    Hopefully the Qb is in house. 

4 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I never thought they felt that way, either. I actually don't know how much they pay attention to what fans claim and clamor for--not sure how much I want my owner and team president to do that anyway, at least when it comes to on-the-field decisions. I was mostly, though, talking about whether or not fans having that "it's ok to suck as long as it's in service of something that will improve the team down the road" is good, bad. or irrelevant when it comes to Snyder and Allen. I guess option C is the best guess lol...

My point though wasn't that Dan-Bruce should follow fans.  Based on their actions they obviously don't care.   Yeah agree its OK to suck from my point of view and obviously some others, too.

9 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This is a far reach.  One side is actively rooting for losses to force change and for a chance to obtain a player(s) that will make the team better.  One side just believes that there is something greater within what’s already here.  Dan and Bruce would much prefer fans getting behind what’s already here for obvious reasons.

Notice I never mentioned the crossed-out part in my post lol...

I was responding to your assertion that fans being ok with the team playing poorly "because there is something greater at play here" is ok with Dan and Bruce--that fans with that mindset are what their "dreams are made of".  That describes the segment of the fanbase whose #1 priority is getting that #1 overall draft pick.

Archived