Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

On 5/3/2019 at 2:08 PM, sportjunkie07 said:

7:00 to 11:45 specifically. 

This is what I'm referring to when I say there are things the kid needs to learn before he is thrown out to the wolves. 

His footwork, follow up, and spin needs a little improvement. 

It ain't gonna be like Ohio state where his protection is way better than the opposing defense. They will exploit the issues in his game and it will lead to problems with accuracy.

All fixable though. 

This same guy did a video where he talked about why he thinks Daniel Jones will be a good pick. Insert eye roll emoji here. If someone can put lipstick on that pig at the number six pick, I'm not going to be able to trust any other QB evaluation they are pushing. Ever. 

Also, he could try really being interesting instead of having the schtick of making interesting facial expressions and shrugging a lot.

On 5/3/2019 at 11:31 PM, Veryoldschool said:

A critical review.  According to Cooley, Haskins ran very simple pass concepts and Cooley questioned Haskins ability to make pre-snap reads because in the OSU system the adjustments come in from the sidelines.  Cooley said he waits until the receiver is visibly open before throwing so Cooley wonders how well he reads defenses.  Cooley likes his arm but not much else and describes him as a project.

I hope Cooley is wrong.  Other than criticizing Haskins for being slow Cooley's critique sounds somewhat like how Griffin performed in the pocket waiting for someone to get open rather than understanding where the opening would be based on an understanding the defense and throwing his guy open.

He liked Jones a lot more.  Saw more evidence of Jones understanding more complex pass concepts, reading defenses, handling the pressure and throwing guys open.  Cooley saw evidence that Jones had a grasp of defenses and NFL style passing concepts.  He said Jones did more with less at Duke.  The Giant's talent evaluators must have seen the same things as Cooley.  Once again I hope Cooley is wrong.

Cooley does raise points about the offense that Haskins ran.  How does a team evaluate QBs that play in very simple systems?  Urban Meyer had a lot of success with talented rosters running a simple spread scheme.  Lots of colleges run similar offenses.  Haskins ran less than his fleet-footed precessors but according to Cooley still ran a very simple passing scheme. 

I suppose they have chalk talks during the interview process to plum the depth of a prospect's understanding of defenses but that's not the same as watching a kid run a pro-style scheme in college so teams are left to guess.  Hopefully, Haskins will put in the work and adapt to the NFL game.

Missing it. But its cool. Its how it is. Like I said, some people don't even know when they're type casting someone. Its just what a black QB has to go through if he's not a "dual threat" qb. In the meantime, Jones sucked the entire season, goes 8 for 12 in the senior bowl and suddenly he's the next Manning.

Haskins will need to adapt to the NFL game just like every QB that ever stepped foot on a pro field. BTW, there's a number of QBs (one that was MVP last year) that didn't play in a "pro style" offense in college. But hey, again, key words and phrases are no longer cryptic, they're sad.

5 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

This same guy did a video where he talked about why he thinks Daniel Jones will be a good pick. Insert eye roll emoji here. If someone can put lipstick on that pig at the number six pick, I'm not going to be able to trust any other QB evaluation they are pushing. Ever. 

Also, he could try really being interesting instead of having the schtick of making interesting facial expressions and shrugging a lot.

Im pretty sure he did that video before the draft. But the guy makes good points and has sound logic.. 

I have no idea if Jones will succeed, but I don't think the pick at 6 was as bad as everyone says. He could turn out to be a good qb. 

Hope he fails though. 

On 5/6/2019 at 1:07 AM, joeken24 said:

Missing it. But its cool. Its how it is. Like I said, some people don't even know when they're type casting someone. Its just what a black QB has to go through if he's not a "dual threat" qb. In the meantime, Jones sucked the entire season, goes 8 for 12 in the senior bowl and suddenly he's the next Manning.

Haskins will need to adapt to the NFL game just like every QB that ever stepped foot on a pro field. BTW, there's a number of QBs (one that was MVP last year) that didn't play in a "pro style" offense in college. But hey, again, key words and phrases are no longer cryptic, they're sad.

Please leave race out of this thing.   Race might be important to you but I and I think the majority just want a good player and teammate and hope we will get it in Haskins.

14 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

This guy praised Haskins for throwing a screen off of an Indiana players helmet.

Beginning at 1:30 this guy begins the most laughable attempt to see what others miss that has ever been shared on the internet. “I like this, I really really like this”, after pointing out no one else would begin their clip with these 3 spectacular plays that truly show how special a prospect is. 

AC92674E-8B8F-4F13-B3D6-9DA65F8CBC3F.jpeg

934EC25C-1A9F-4219-85C4-BA55075FFEE4.jpeg

1E844EB7-1AD6-421B-9698-743EFC7D4582.jpeg

9F97E537-24E5-40D4-ACE2-D766F5DA950D.gif

On 5/4/2019 at 3:32 PM, HTTRDynasty said:

I agree with you about his lack of quick feet in the pocket, but that to me is something that is pretty far down on the list of what I look for in a franchise QB:

-Accuracy

-Decision making

-Arm strength 

-Ability to effectively read pre- and post-snap coverages 

-Leadership 

-Poise in big moments

-Anticipation 

-Maneuverability within the pocket

-Mobility when the play breaks down

Your check list begins with a trait largely determined by the one you are dismissive of.

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

This guy praised Haskins for throwing a screen off of an Indiana players helmet.

Beginning at 1:30 this guy begins the most laughable attempt to see what others miss that has ever been shared on the internet. “I like this, I really really like this”, after pointing out no one else would begin their clip with these 3 spectacular plays that truly show how special a prospect is. 

Your interpretation of that section of the video doesn't even remotely match what I saw and heard.

At no time did he say those three plays represented him "seeing what others miss" or even subtly convey it. He does, though, say that others doing film sessions of Haskins wouldn't start off their analysis showcasing plays he says are "mundane and small". Not because others would miss them but because others would most likely start by highlighting "gigantic arm" throws, as he put it. 

I also don't see the pass bouncing off an Indiana player's helmet...I definitely see it bouncing off the ground. I don't know what it is you're seeing in the section you got the stills from.

14 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Your interpretation of that section of the video doesn't even remotely match what I saw and heard.

At no time did he say those three plays represented him "seeing what others miss" or even subtly convey it. He does, though, say that others doing film sessions of Haskins wouldn't start off their analysis showcasing plays he says are "mundane and small". Not because others would miss them but because others would most likely start by highlighting "gigantic arm" throws, as he put it. 

I also don't see the pass bouncing off an Indiana player's helmet...I definitely see it bouncing off the ground. I don't know what it is you're seeing in the section you got the stills from.

There are easier ways to tell me you’re confused. 

10 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

False.  I think Haskins has excellent accuracy.  The stats below back that up.

I never said Haskins wasn’t accurate. Nice flex, bruh. 

5klKV8F.gif

If a guy is impressed by QBs who throw a couple screens away, he will love Lock tossing away Dooley's predictable screens. The dufus in the clip above points out things you see every HS QB do, plays where the QB only has one option, & attempts to separate himself as a genius for pointing them out as if he appreciates the game on a more nuanced level — the pretentiousness is profound, so I do award him an A for affort.

25 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

False.  I think Haskins has excellent accuracy.  The stats below back that up.

While I think Haskins is quite accurate. @volsmet isn't wrong with that observation. Bad feet leads to poor body position, which leads to mechanical breakdowns in other parts of the throw (shoulder dropping, hips firing too fast/too slow, lack of leg drive, etc.)

There are some guys who can be better than that, but many can't.

Haskins needs to improve his feet. I don't care how much we like him. His feet need to get better.

But that doesn't mean the guy is a doomed.

On 5/4/2019 at 6:50 PM, Riggo'sRangers said:

I respectfully disagree. Doctson is nowhere close to McLaurin as a blocker, not nearly as fast, MUCH less physical, and has NEVER played special teams, much less the highest ranked ST prospect in the draft. Honestly, Terry is the polar opposite (the anti-Doc) of Josh, in my humble opinion. Harmon is just a good receiver, period. Hail

For sure, I agree with you about Doctson and McLaurin.  I'm excited for McLaurin's speed, special teams, and willingness to contribute however he can.  They are not similar prospects, in part because McLaurin profiles as someone who can line up everywhere.  That said, I was talking specifically about Doctson and Harmon though.  My hope for Harmon is that he develops into a slightly better version of Maurice Harris, providing good depth and maybe some use in red zone packages.  Harmon is the one draft prospect this year I'm meh on.

2 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

So in other words, you realize I'm right but don't want to admit it. Gotcha.

You may need more words. If you can’t see how desperate that dufus is to pretend he appreciates the game on some special level, then you’ve missed everything entertaining about the video. Pointing out the screen v TCU nearly had me in tears, faux QB experts are phenomenal creatures. 

As far as the play v IU, it looks like it bounces off the helmet of an IU player on this pad but, my joy is in the presentation of nothing as if it’s significant to the select few who get the game the way Michael Rapaport does. 

10 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

My hope for Harmon is that he develops into a slightly better version of Maurice Harris.

I hope he becomes a slightly better version of Randy Moss.

3 minutes ago, volsmet said:

You may need more words. If you can’t see how desperate that dufus is to pretend he appreciates the game on some special level, then you’ve missed everything entertaining about the video. Pointing out the screen v TCU nearly had me in tears, faux QB experts are phenomenal creatures. 

As far as the play v IU, it looks like it bounces off the helmet of an IU player on this pad but, my joy is in the presentation of nothing as if it’s significant to the select few who get the game the way Michael Rapaport does.

He never said--or even implied--what you claimed...that much is fact. You just misunderstood what he was saying and ran with it.

The ball never bounced off an IU player's helmet. Also fact. Hell, your 2nd screen capture shows that's not true lol...

You made two claims, and neither one is accurate.

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

He never said--or even implied--what you claimed...that much is fact. You just misunderstood what he was saying and ran with it.

The ball never bounced off an IU player's helmet. Also fact. Hell, your 2nd screen capture shows that's not true lol...

You made two claims, and neither one is accurate.

I was making fun of Michael Rapaport for being precisely as I described him, you are free to be as stubborn as you like. I, grant you, that permission.

I had already taken screen shots of the TCU screen he lauded before my tears of laughter cleared in time for the next clip in that goobers “film session”. There is a reason no one else would show those plays first, it’s because they display, quite literally, nothing. The TCU clip would only be shared, in the manner this guy shared it, by the most lost of faux QB whisperers. We need those creatures, laughter is important & Rap gave me plenty to laugh about in the clip above. 

Fight the good fight, Cali. 

giphy.gif

More seriously, Haskins needs to work on composure with pressure, arm speed, arm elevation, & the feet. 

That’s reality, Rapaport approved or not.

A Sweat & Rosen draft was there & we are worse for having given up a 2nd in 2020 to get a lesser combination. That said, @stevemcqueen1 loves Haskins enough to offer some hope that he can become close to what Rosen will be. 

giphy.gif

52 minutes ago, KDawg said:

While I think Haskins is quite accurate. @volsmet isn't wrong with that observation. Bad feet leads to poor body position, which leads to mechanical breakdowns in other parts of the throw (shoulder dropping, hips firing too fast/too slow, lack of leg drive, etc.)

There are some guys who can be better than that, but many can't.

Haskins needs to improve his feet. I don't care how much we like him. His feet need to get better.

But that doesn't mean the guy is a doomed.

I've noted multiple times earlier in the thread that Haskins needs to improve his footwork and mechanics (especially against pressure).  

But that doesn't take away from how accurate he is already, even with those issues, as you noted.  I'm a big believer in his ability to get even better in this area if we give him the time he needs to develop his footwork/mechanics.  However, apparently that's not what volsmet was referring to.  It's hard to determine what he's talking about... I've lost interest trying to figure it out tbh.

1 minute ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I've noted multiple times earlier in the thread that Haskins needs to improve his footwork and mechanics (especially against pressure).  

But that doesn't take away from how accurate he is already, even with those issues, as you noted.  I'm a big believer in his ability to get even better in this area if we give him the time he needs to develop his footwork/mechanics.  However, apparently that's not what volsmet was referring to.  It's hard to determine what he's talking about... I've lost interest trying to figure it out tbh.

It’s not terribly difficult to decode.

1) You said footwork/pocket mobility isn’t terribly important to you.

2) You made a little note & listed accuracy as your #1.

3) I said accuracy is largely dependent upon footwork.

4) Naturally, you posted some stats about Haskins ....because you were in your emotions ready to defend someone who wasn’t attacked rather than rationally absorbing the thoughtful, & accurate (the most important attribute per your list) reply to you.

moSh97X.gif

1 minute ago, volsmet said:

It’s not terribly difficult to decode.

1) You said footwork/pocket mobility isn’t terribly important to you.

2) You made a little note & listed accuracy as your #1.

3) I said accuracy is largely dependent upon footwork.

4) Naturally, you posted some stats about Haskins ....because you were in your emotions ready to defend someone who wasn’t attacked rather than rationally absorbing the thoughtful, & accurate (the most important attribute per your list) reply to you.

This is where your lack of reading comprehension failed you.  I never said footwork wasn't terribly important to me.  I said "quick feet" in the pocket was "pretty far down the list" for me.  Those are not the same thing.  I shouldn't have to explain that to you.

12 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

This is where your lack of reading comprehension failed you.  I never said footwork wasn't terribly important to me.  I said "quick feet" in the pocket was "pretty far down the list" for me.  Those are not the same thing.  I shouldn't have to explain that to you.

Ah yes, quick feet, you’re such a nuanced evaluator, you’d never hide behind semantics in your defensive little corner of the world.

I would be remiss not to mention the irony of you mentioning reading comprehension after determining this statement — “Your check list begins with a trait largely determined by the one you are dismissive of” — was something that need be met with the word “False” & various Dwayne Haskins statistics. 

giphy.gif

12 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I'll come back when the more mature posters are active.

You're gonna be waiting a long time if you are waiting for mature posters...unless you mean age...because we got lots of grumpy old get off my lawn people..but mature as in mentally....yeah...short supply of those on here...

Archived