Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FAREWELL to the NFL Dwayne Haskins QB Ohio State

PCS

14 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I'm clearly being trolled right now.

I'll come back when the more mature posters are active.

Right here!

1 minute ago, Xameil said:

You're gonna be waiting a long time if you are waiting for mature posters...unless you mean age...because we got lots of grumpy old get off my lawn people..but mature as in mentally....yeah...short supply of those on here...

Nope I'm right here

4 minutes ago, Xameil said:

You're gonna be waiting a long time if you are waiting for mature posters...unless you mean age...because we got lots of grumpy old get off my lawn people..but mature as in mentally....yeah...short supply of those on here...

It should be noted, the gentleman waiting on mature posters just had a minor meltdown over internet banter & foot work.

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

While I think Haskins is quite accurate. @volsmet isn't wrong with that observation. Bad feet leads to poor body position, which leads to mechanical breakdowns in other parts of the throw (shoulder dropping, hips firing too fast/too slow, lack of leg drive, etc.)

There are some guys who can be better than that, but many can't.

Haskins needs to improve his feet. I don't care how much we like him. His feet need to get better.

But that doesn't mean the guy is a doomed.

Sooooooo, what I'm hearing is coach him up on footwork and he might be even better than he was at Ohio State?

Yep, that's what I heard.............

I love the pick.  The kid reminds me of Marino.  Quick release.  Quick decisions.   Smart.  Can spin it.  Got better and better.  Both had teams pass on.   Both had and have chips on their shoulders.  Haskins better wheels.

Can Jay keep his job.   If not I could see Urban Meyer and Ron Day coming to Washington.

Or a promotion for O'Connell.  The new boy wonder.

If Meyer is ever going to consider an NFL job doesn't the skins make the most sense.

I hope Jay can keep his job.   Means he did well enough this season.

5 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I'm clearly being trolled right now.

I'll come back when the more mature posters are active.

I think @volsmetmade a perfectly fair point about QB footwork being tied to accuracy. It is. Sure, you can still have accuracy without it but it's more difficult and will also get much more difficult in the pros as opposed to college. 

Hopefully I'm mature enough to be in this convo though......

....YOU POOPFACE!

31 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think @volsmetmade a perfectly fair point about QB footwork being tied to accuracy. It is. Sure, you can still have accuracy without it but it's more difficult and will also get much more difficult in the pros as opposed to college. 

....YOU POOPFACE!

Arent you still being mind controlled by your pet spider?

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

....YOU POOPFACE!

The point is, I NEVER said footwork wasn’t tied to accuracy, nor did I say I didn’t care about footwork. My original post was in response to someone who had concerns about Haskins’ lack of quick feet in the pocket and how that affected his ability to evade pressure in the pocket. I responded that that trait (I.e. quick feet / pocket mobility) was pretty far down my list on what I look for in a franchise QB. 

Volsmet then had some asinine comment about me contradicting myself. I honestly had no idea what he was talking about. 

Lack of concern over quick feet to evade pressure does not equal lack of concern over poor footwork during a throw, which does lead to poor accuracy. 

Does this still require further explanation, or can I go sing along to the Spongebob Squarepants intro on repeat for the next few hours?

On 5/4/2019 at 9:46 AM, CaptainChaos47 said:

You're right you said Jameis Winston was successful..that threw me off a bit.  😉

Heisman. Natty. Number 1 pick. Still starting in year 5 of his deal. What a failure. 

Theismann was significantly worse than Jameis. Like not even close. That guy wouldnt have made it past his rookie contract in today's NFL. 

On 5/4/2019 at 9:46 AM, CaptainChaos47 said:

You're right you said Jameis Winston was successful..that threw me off a bit.  😉

Before posting an arrogant winky face, do a quick google search. He's had off-field issues not denying that. But not successful. LOOOOL. 

Imagine if he was white... 

AND NOW we understand what were dealing with when people try to judge Haskins. 

Proving my point. Black pocket passers who use their arm and mind to be successful are difficult for you.  

915893874_ScreenShot2019-05-06at9_27_30PM.png.e35b384216a766497bd5c61384699a9e.png

These are Theismann's embarrassing stats... 

1477014248_ScreenShot2019-05-06at9_29_37PM.png.d2459bfa19bf28f2e51175bd226c1fe7.png

I haven’t watched much of Haskins other than highlights. How is he in read options?

I obviously know he is more of a pocket passer but did they run bootlegs? Can he throw on the run? Did Ohio state even have a run game. Does he know how to set up the run game? Some QBs seem to enhance the run game. Just some thoughts I had.

Theismann's stats came in a very different era where the receiver was being mugged all over the field. Rule changes have artificially made QBs seem better. Yards and scoring are way, way up. Scrubs produce better stats than Montana or Warren Moon or any of the best of the game. Remember that in 83 Theisman led a passing offense that blew away all the passing and scoring records of the time... and that was with Riggins in traction during the week and averaging three yards a carry. Theismann in today's era would be a considerably better QB because the rules make it so much easier to be a QB. I'd argue that today's NFL is like a soft seven on seven drill compared to what player's faced in the 70's and early 80's.

OTOH, Joe was not considered elite early in his career. In fact, he had to start out his pro career in Canada and then when he got to the Redskins was third string and was athletic enough to be our punt returner for a bit. It took him years to rise up the ranks and became our QB and won our first Super Bowl, but when he emerged he was really great for us.

Jameis Winston has done nothing compared to Joe. It's embarrassing for a Redskins' fan to suggest it.

40 minutes ago, SkinsNoles21 said:

Imagine if he was white... 

Proving my point. Black pocket passers who use their arm and mind to be successful are difficult for you. 

Can you please stop this?? Can we just stop judging by /commenting on color and let racism  just friggin die??   

Regarding the above conversation, I disagree that race is irrelevant when discussing historical misses when evaluating QB's. I don't think it should be off limits as a conversation. 

Regarding Haskins, I see what concerns people. I watched the Michigan and Washington games, two of his best statistical performances. They are really a mix of good and bad. Haskins does look inaccurate at times. Against Michigan, there was very little downfield passing. Against Washington, he made a number of really good downfield throws, but also missed a few throws, inexplicably. You also however see Haskins throw off platform at times against Washington. Sidearm. Fading backwards. The ability to do that is there. 

There are two things about the pick that reassure me. The best part of Haskins' game against Washington was his consistent ability to make the correct read, quickly, and get the ball out. I only saw one obvious missed read. Haskins is super smart and decisive, and I think what really separates players like Brees and Brady isn't just their great precision with the football, it is their ability to find open guys quickly and deliver the ball. I don't think Haskins is going to take a lot of sacks. I think he's going to be one of those guys that gets the ball out too quickly. 

The other thing that reassures me about him is his work ethic. Everyone raves about his football IQ and his film room work. They rave about him as a young teenager meeting to throw at off hours and throwing routes over and over and over until they were perfect. Shawn Springs compares Haskins to Brady in terms of work ethic, film room work, and football IQ. We are getting a guy that already prepares like a professional. That goes a long way when you have natural talent. 

Just now, bakedtater1 said:

So what are you trying to say?

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

This isn’t gonna go how y’all want it to go

Seems pretty clear lol. What is it you are having a problem understanding? 

Archived