Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

WTF happened to Carlson?  Why is he so damn lazy with the puck since last year?  He always seems to have turnovers or lazy passes or something that always seem to convert or almost convert to goals.

The Caps are lucky to not be down 1-0 after a short handed goal that the Leafs nearly had due to his lazy play.

Do people expect the Caps to be good this season? 

They are just older and slower now. There is going to be a lot of losing while Ovechkin goes for the record. Caps and Wiz making the same mistakes not moving on from some older players. Ted is a ****ing terrible owner. 

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Hersh said:

Caps and Wiz making the same mistakes not moving on from some older players. Ted is a ****ing terrible owner. 

I can't comment on the Wiz because I hate the NBA, but any Caps fan who remembers the previous owner probably wouldn't go that far.  Ted took a bath with this team the first 10 years he owned them, and I'm sure he hasn't forgotten that. Yes, they should've launched a rebuild a few years ago (for me it was after the 2021 season when they just got dominated by Boston and exited the first round for the 3rd straight year). But they're selling out the building, they've still got their franchise legend who should have a couple good years left in him, and I am sure said legend has zero interest in being part of a rebuild at the tail end of his career.  Stripping it all down and committing to a rebuild (the successful ones take at least 4 years) isn't as easy as it sounds.

And please note I agree with you that they're old and slow and will likely accomplish nothing this year.

Edited by capcrunch98
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

It would really suck to not even be a playoff team.

I think even that might be a stretch this year. Making the playoffs in the NHL isn't as easy as it was 5 - 10 years ago, when there was less parity and 1/3 of the teams were in some stage of a rebuild. Almost every team in our division improved over the past year. If we make it in, it's gonna be as a wildcard and we can look forward to playing a #1 or #2 in the first round.

3 hours ago, capcrunch98 said:

I think even that might be a stretch this year. Making the playoffs in the NHL isn't as easy as it was 5 - 10 years ago, when there was less parity and 1/3 of the teams were in some stage of a rebuild. Almost every team in our division improved over the past year. If we make it in, it's gonna be as a wildcard and we can look forward to playing a #1 or #2 in the first round.

Despite watching for 35 years, I’m far from a hockey expert.  I pretty much only watch the Caps (at least 75% of their games) and WCF/ECF/SC.  Random games here and there.  I’m lucky to be able to sit 2nd row behind the net for about 20-25 games a year also.

Anyway, all I’m trying to say is hockey is a much more random sport that football and your mileage may vary, but I have to believe we have enough talent on this roster to grab that 7 or 8 seed.  Not that it’s some big accomplishment.  The real question is, what can you do in the playoffs?  Probably not much.  I think there are things they could do to quickly get back to contender status. Trade Carlson, for one.  Eller also.  Both of those guys occupy premium positions and are -EV.  

With Wilson, the 1st line is fine.  It’s not elite, but it’s really good and you could have a cup contender if the other lines back it up in spades.  Ovi/Kuzy/Wilson is quality but not blow you away.  Strome is a question, but so far I’m impressed.  I think Oshie needs to be on that line to get the most out of it and I’m intrigued by Protas.

The 3rd line is a mess.  Eller is below average now.  Oshie needs to be elevated.  Johansson???  Are you ****ing kidding me???

4th line is perfect.

Defense…ho boy.  Hard to assess when your high profile, huge dollar guy is the biggest culprit for goal after goal after goal.  IDGAF if he QBs the power play (which sucks a lot).  He’s bogging everything down.

The Power Play ****ing sucks.  Even when it works, it sucks.  Zero imagination.  

PK is actually pretty strong.

Goalie??  TBD.  TBD big time!!!

So, all in all?  Yeah, I think that’s enough to get a 7 or 8 seed.  Carolina, NYR, Florida, TB, Toronto, Boston are the class of the east.  But I expect to fight hard, make the playoffs, and be a tough out.

BUT…

Perhaps the best thing that could happen is they miss the playoffs and reevaluate.  It would just be such a dagger.

I'd already worked all day at the store, doing the prep for what was going on at the local food fest today, and having to deal with stupid people for the last two days who acted like they'd never been in public before and/or placed a food order anywhere.   (I'm not kidding in the slightest.) 

My restaurant owner's wife took off on me about my Caps hat at the fest.  We were in public, or I would've smashed that witch's face in. 

"Unless that's where you're from"...

"WELL, YEAH...THAT'S WHERE I'M FROM!" came out about as loudly and as forcefully as it could.  I was over these asses already, have been for months. My area sup has already left for PFG.  (I hadn't seen his wife in years until today at the fest...we're making plans to hang out on the regular. I haven't hung out with any friends of my own age in what seems like forever.)  

It started out as a miserable day, but all ended quite nicely. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1