Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

I think it would be smart of Holtby to sign a one year contract here for next season at what he's currently making.  With Seattle entering the league after next season, he might be able to get a fat contract assuming the salary cap increases by a lot after next season.  Also, it's absolutely ridiculous to sign goalies to 10 Mil+ contracts considering they play like 2/3 of the games, at most.

1 hour ago, Springfield said:

I think it would be smart of Holtby to sign a one year contract here for next season at what he's currently making.  With Seattle entering the league after next season, he might be able to get a fat contract assuming the salary cap increases by a lot after next season.  Also, it's absolutely ridiculous to sign goalies to 10 Mil+ contracts considering they play like 2/3 of the games, at most.

Devil's Goalie's advocate: They do, however, play about 100% of the time in those games.  Also, they have a tendency of playing every game of the playoffs, when it really matters.

5 hours ago, Springfield said:

The only way the Caps could even afford that would be by trading a big contract. Backstrom's salary is going up plus they will need to fill a couple of other spots. He'd have to take a pay cut to stay with the understanding that he would likely be the back up barring some big time turn around this season. Plus, if he does come back in the playoffs and play great, he'd want to cash in with a big contract. 

Edited by Hersh

3 hours ago, Hersh said:

The only way the Caps could even afford that would be by trading a big contract. Backstrom's salary is going up plus they will need to fill a couple of other spots. He'd have to take a pay cut to stay with the understanding that he would likely be the back up barring some big time turn around this season. Plus, if he does come back in the playoffs and play great, he'd want to cash in with a big contract. 

I haven’t looked at the numbers so you’re probably right.  I think there will be more room for bigger contracts after next offseason though.

It seems like the team plays better in front of Samsonov, almost exactly like with Grubauer.  It’s good because it should give Holtby a rest going into the playoffs.  I think it’s because the guys believe that Holtby is better and they don’t need to help him as much defensively though.

When Samsonov plays, it makes me think we don’t need to add a defensive rental at the TDL.

4 hours ago, Springfield said:

I haven’t looked at the numbers so you’re probably right.  I think there will be more room for bigger contracts after next offseason though.

It seems like the team plays better in front of Samsonov, almost exactly like with Grubauer.  It’s good because it should give Holtby a rest going into the playoffs.  I think it’s because the guys believe that Holtby is better and they don’t need to help him as much defensively though.

When Samsonov plays, it makes me think we don’t need to add a defensive rental at the TDL.

Caps need to extend Ovechkin after next season and will have to pony up for Vrana, who will likely get a big time offer even as a restricted FA. Caps really need to develop some young defensemen in order to afford all the big guns. Samsonov will also be a restricted FA after next season. 

9 hours ago, Hersh said:

Caps need to extend Ovechkin after next season and will have to pony up for Vrana, who will likely get a big time offer even as a restricted FA. Caps really need to develop some young defensemen in order to afford all the big guns. Samsonov will also be a restricted FA after next season. 

Fehervary and Alexeyev will be ready to roll after next year. I’m not sure about that Johanson kid anymore. Fehervary could be a bottom pairing Dman right now IMO

Next year, the Caps have to spread the Holtby money around to Vrana and others.  I'm not sure what an Ovechkin extension would look like, but I imagine it won't be an increase in cap hit.

This year, there is a lot of hockey to be played between now and the playoffs.  I think it should basically be an open competition for the lead goaltender job, but they should retain Holtby.  In addition to simply needing 2 quality goaltenders, I think Holts deserves a farewell tour now that it's clear he's not staying (barring something crazy). 

15 minutes ago, max21 said:

Unfortunately I think it’ll be tough to keep Vrana after next year. Assuming he has another good year next year he could get some serious coin entering his prime. 

Absolutely, but he'll probably be around where Oshie is ($5.7M).  Without Holtby's $6.1M cap hit, that may be doable, but they'll need some young guys to contribute. 

16 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Absolutely, but he'll probably be around where Oshie is ($5.7M).  Without Holtby's $6.1M cap hit, that may be doable, but they'll need some young guys to contribute. 

Yeah, you could be right and I certainly hope so. But with the way players are getting paid today he could see maybe 6.5 - 7 AAV and I don’t think it would be much of a surprise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, max21 said:

Yeah, you could be right and I certainly hope so. But with the way players are getting paid today he could see maybe 6.5 - 7 AAV and I don’t think it would be much of a surprise. 

I can definitely see a team overpaying for Vrana in an attempt to steal him. That’s why it’s critical to keep producing young guys that can filter in to bottom 6 and defensemen pairings. 
I could see guys like Haglin and Eller traded to open enough space for Vrana. Jensen, Orlov, Panik and Hathaway are all guys that could go in the next couple years. Otherwise there is no flexibility. 

1 minute ago, Captain James said:

So Ovi needs 200couple more goals to surpass Gretzky. Seems like a lot, but even the great one himself is rooting for him apparently. At this point, staying healthy and in shape is probably the biggest factor for Ovi going forward if he wants to beat it.

The question is, if Ovi decides to go for it and try and break that record, does he do it in a Caps uniform?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Captain James said:

So Ovi needs 200couple more goals to surpass Gretzky. Seems like a lot, but even the great one himself is rooting for him apparently. At this point, staying healthy and in shape is probably the biggest factor for Ovi going forward if he wants to beat it.

Yes, the worst thing that can happen is a significant injury that (1) causes him to lose a big chunk of a season and (2) takes away from his effectiveness even after he comes back.  Seems to me that Ovi has 200 more goals in him, even if he slows down a bit just to aging a bit.  

• Like 1

I don't think Ted is going to let Ovechkin go if he can help it.  He means too much to the franchise.   Only way Ovi's not a Cap is if he doesn't want to be.

Those goals he scored last weekend were some old-school 20-year old Ovi stuff, 

At this point, I'm almost tempted to say he should be considered as a top-3 forward all-time.  Of course you put Wayne and Lemieux first, but after that, a goal scoring, physical winger would balance out the line.   

• Like 1