Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Politics Thread

Cooked Crack

Watkins never voted in Kansas or any other state until 2017, the year he returned to launch his bid for Congress.

Prior to 2017, he spent most of his adult life in either Alaska or Massachusetts, where his wife continues to reside. Watkins’ most recent financial disclosure lists no property in Kansas and ownership of two rental homes in Alaska. He settled a foreclosure lawsuit against one of those properties last month.

During the 2018 election, Watkins lived in a house in Topeka with members of his campaign team, according to three sources familiar with his living arrangements.

Following the election, he moved into his parents’ home in Topeka, according to the sources. Watkins father, a Topeka physician, spent $765,000 toward his son’s election through a super PAC.

Carpetbagger too

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/marco-rubio-joins-the-anti-capitalist-conservatives/2019/12/05/42fe26ae-1796-11ea-a659-7d69641c6ff7_story.html?utm_campaign=post_most&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=Newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

Marco Rubio joins the anti-capitalist conservatives

....Twelve times Rubio celebrates, or laments the loss of, “dignified work,” yet he never suggests the adjective’s meaning. What work does he deem undignified? Does “dignified” denote a certain ratio of mind to muscle? If so, Rubio should compare the work of the relatively few who operate today’s modern steel mills with the unpleasant, dangerous labor of the many who once toiled in dark, satanic mills containing open-hearth furnaces. Fortunately, their jobs have been eliminated by technology-driven productivity.

Rubio substitutes for data a torrent of overheated rhetoric about America’s “economic implosion,” its “disordered economy” (whatever that might mean) that has created only “pockets of prosperity” because the economy is “rigged” (a verb and adjective also favored by Elizabeth Warren and President Trump). Rubio’s limp solution to the American carnage he depicts is “common-good capitalism”: discouraging corporations’ buybacks of their shares, immediate expensing of investments, reforming the Small Business Administration, which he says is financing “lifeless corporate conglomerates.” Lifeless?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Springfield said:

I don’t understand how conservative candidates keep winning worldwide.  Has the whole world gone mad?

You have liberal governments recently elected in most Western European countries. Right wing nationalism is unfortunately a failed ideology that keeps coming back from the dustbin of history, and it typically ends with the same disastrous results. Any time there is major disruption, some people adapt and the others latch on to tribal instincts of self-preservation. Typically doesn’t end well for them.

Voter suppression tactic surfaces in Texas.  

These people need to be prosecuted. New laws against voter suppression schemes need to include jail time and permanent loss of voting rights. Time to put some teeth into voter suppression laws.

https://www.yourstephenvilletx.com/news/20191212/fake-voter-registration-applications-surface-in-erath-county

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

You have liberal governments recently elected in most Western European countries. Right wing nationalism is unfortunately a failed ideology that keeps coming back from the dustbin of history, and it typically ends with the same disastrous results. Any time there is major disruption, some people adapt and the others latch on to tribal instincts of self-preservation. Typically doesn’t end well for them.

But with UK.  I admittedly don’t understand their system of government.  Boris Johnson is essentially their president, no?  The guy seems like a bafoon who’s simply Donald Trump UK.  How does he win?  How does Brexit keep winning?  How do all these policies that benefit Russia keep happening?

Maybe I’m not seeing it all correctly,  but it seems to me like LOTS of world government are turning conservative, nationalistic, anti-globalist.  This only helps countries like Russia and China.

Hallmark Faces Holiday Controversy After Rejecting Ad With Same-Sex Couple

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/hallmark-faces-holiday-controversy-after-rejecting-ad-with-same-sex-couple/ar-AAK8gsD

Hallmark Channel this week delivered a sentiment very different from the ones found in its parent company’s greeting cards when its executives questioned an ad showing two women getting married — and barred the commercial from running on its schedule.

Zola, a company that offers online wedding registries and wedding planning services, had been running commercials in recent days that feature a lesbian couple contemplating whether their wedding might have gone better if they had used Zola’s products. A spokeswoman for Zola said the company would remove all of its advertising from Hallmark “for the forseeable future” after being informed by the network that it would decline to run commercials from Zola featuring a same-sex couple.

In a statement made to The New York Times, a spokesperson for Hallmark said the women’s public displays of affection violated the cable outlet’s standards. Another Zola advertisement featuring a heterosexual couple engaged in similar displays was not rejected.

The ads had already sparked a stir at Hallmark before they were taken off the air. One Million Moms, an advocacy organization that says it fights against indecency, had started an effort to get Hallmark to take the ad off the air. The group is affiliated with the American Family Association, a group that has for decades threatened media outlets with possible boycotts over controversial content. The organization was vocal, for example, about the use of partial nudity in the ABC series “NYPD Blue” when it launched in 1993, and, more recently, protested the 2012 depiction of a same-sex marriage in a storyline in Archie Comics. 

All kisses, couples and marriages are equal celebrations of love and we will no longer be advertising on Hallmark,” said Mike Chi, Zola’s chief marketing officer, in a statement.

i say merry christmas. even at work.

because i celebrate christmas, so that's what this time of year is about  to me.

you should say whatever it is you celebrate, cause that's cool too.

instead of me having to be sensitive of the beliefs of everyone else, why can't i just say merry christmas. and you respect that. and you say whatever it is you celebrate. and i'll respect that.

we spend an awful lot of time caring about **** that doesn't matter and making situations more complex than they need to be. 

• Like 3

On 12/13/2019 at 10:24 AM, Springfield said:

But with UK.  I admittedly don’t understand their system of government.  Boris Johnson is essentially their president, no?  The guy seems like a bafoon who’s simply Donald Trump UK.  How does he win?  How does Brexit keep winning?  How do all these policies that benefit Russia keep happening?

Maybe I’m not seeing it all correctly,  but it seems to me like LOTS of world government are turning conservative, nationalistic, anti-globalist.  This only helps countries like Russia and China.

I don’t think the Boris-Trump comparisons are accurate. Boris Johnson is a masterful liar but he’s not an inept buffoon like Trump. Boris is a shapeshifter. He was a moderate mayor of a cosmopolitan London, then saw a lane for right wing populism through anti-EU sentiments and has basically lied his way into power by promising simplistic nonsense. This time around he swept Labour partly by adopting a fair amount of leftist economic ideas and breaking from his parties history of austerity and cuts to social services. So he ended up winning a lot of working class left voters who bought into the lies of Brexit.

Despite anti-globalist sentiment, the world is actually pivoting towards greater internationalism. Support for the EU has gone up significantly throughout Europe after seeing the Brexit process. And while it isn’t desirable, China’s growing international presence is globalism in action as well. This is probably the most consequential change in the world order. 

Trump’s completely inept “nationalist” agenda hasn’t fought back against globalism, it’s made our platform smaller and it’s increased the influence and spread of Chinese totalitarianism.

Edited by No Excuses

maybe i'm just way to cynical but i can't help but think hallmark just caved to public pressure at the expensive of its viewership base

like... they're going to be a company with great morals and no customers; ie: bankrupt. 

maybe my understanding of who watches the hallmark channel is off, and it's not 60-80 year old white women but instead 20-30 year old millennials.

(I don't think I'm wrong on that but I didn't think I was wrong the one other time I was wrong so...)

• Haha 1