Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Eagles

KDawg

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

Didn't like Sims not double checking the ball goes out the back of the end zone on the kickoffs. Sure that will be fixed. 

It doesn't need to go out of the back anymore, I'm pretty sure they changed the rule so that once it goes into the endzone it's a dead ball, just like a punt.

Good thread...

I'm not usually a guy who boils a football game down to a couple plays, but agree with a lot of what's been said. The killers yesterday were the 3rd-and-10+ defense (two long TDs and a couple other conversions on eventual scoring drives). If we get off the field in those spots, then it's a different game. Additionally, the lack of any offense in the second half hurt...and given who we were playing, that needed to come through the air. The missed TD pass and the handful of drops did us in as we couldn't let the D rest. 

I don't know how to feel looking ahead. Certainly there are positives, but I'm also unsure how much of our strong first half was related to Philly's rust more than our exceptional play. 

I dont fully accept losing Allen automatically means the defense has to fall apart.  If that's true, then we dont have a good defense.  Especially when we're supposed to have more talent than previous years.

It's a big loss certainly, but they should be able to hold it together for a half or a game or two.

And I was concerned about the depth behind the starters on the DL in training camp and was assured we were fine.  Yesterday, one guy went down and the whole operation went up.

9 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I dont fully accept losing Allen automatically means the defense has to fall apart.  If that's true, then we dont have a good defense.  Especially when we're supposed to have more talent than previous years.

It's a big loss certainly, but they should be able to hold it together for a half or a game or two.

And I was concerned about the depth behind the starters on the DL in training camp and was assured we were fine.  Yesterday, one guy went down and the whole operation went up.

Completely agree...we don't get to boast about a young DL with great rotational depth and then get stung for 25 second half points once one guy gets hurt. 

I'm surprised there is so much outrage about the game yesterday, you would think this team was a preseason favorite for the Superbowl the way everyone is losing their ****.  I didn't even expect us to be in that game and if one or two plays go differently we would have had a very good chance at winning.

I'm not surprised we weren't able to run because we havent run effectively for years and we have downgraded the O line this year so don't expect miracles. 

The WR's were good when given opportunities, we needed to upgrade this position and it looks like we have and we may have hit big on Mclaurin.

Case was good in the first half but he missed wide-open WR's/TE's in the 2nd half and I'm not just referring to the long pass to McLaurin.

Those 4 straight 3 and outs in the 2nd half by the offense wore out the defense, IMO that's what lost us the game.  Any defense in the league would break down under those conditions, I think we dressed 4 DT's yesterday, it was too many reps for Payne once Allen got hurt, he wore out by the fourth Qtr, if we move the ball on offense and just get FG's or field position that could have changed the entire complexion of the second half.

We have weaknesses in the secondary and O line and until they are addressed this is what we are going to see.  I was pleasantly surprised by how competitive we were considering what we are working with.

This is who we are, find a way to get a bit more out of your running game and get some first downs in the 2nd half and who knows what can happen.

1 hour ago, fearlessNelms said:

The obvious other killer to our chances was Keenum missing a wide open McLaurin on the deep ball that was surely a TD. After Philly had just pulled to within 6 to  make it 20-14 us, to score right back there and go back up 27-14 would've been huge. We blew a very winnable game for sure, but there was a lot to like and I'm looking very forward to Dallas next week.

Actually the real killer was Paul Richardson dropping the 1st down pass on the very next play to kill the drive.

Keenum threw a perfect pass that hit him in the hands. 

The Good

-The much scrutinized WR unit showed some real promise. Richardson played pretty well, and was inches away from coming down with an amazing Td. But McLaurin, Harmon and Quinn could be really good for the future. 

-Holcomb.

-Flowers and Penn, all things considered.

-Keenum was serviceable. 

-The Defense with Allen

The Bad

-The Defense without Allen

-Penalties

-Run Game - surprise surprise

-OLBs

The Ugly

-Second half coaching

-Gruden's presser

****ing Desean Jackson... twice on 3rd and 10. That's the ballgame. We can slice it up any way we want, but if you take away those two plays, it's a different story. 

Jonathan Allen again?!? I couldn't have been more disappointed in our DL. They ran for ****ing 4 yards on QB sneaks. 

There are plenty of positives and plenty more negatives, but this game came down to two awful plays.

42 minutes ago, dballer said:

-Flowers and Penn, all things considered.

Yeah, Flowers didnt really stand out too much, which is a good thing. I think he might've gotten a penalty in there somewhere, but he wasnt awful.

The past pro was pretty good too.  

But they pretty clearly were afraid and wanted nothing to do with running plays to the left side.

Good thread, KDawg. I’ll just add that it is clear we have some talent on both sides of the ball. What we don’t have is a competent coaching staff. Manusky needs to go ASAP. Any high school coach would have defended DJax better than he did. The scheme is and will continue to be a huge issue. We do not belong in a 3-4. The answer cannot be a dime soft zone when Allen goes out. In that scheme we will get eaten alive in the run game. We have the horses upfront to run a 4-3. That should be an immediate change. 

Beyond that, I pray this is Gruden’s last year. The guy is just not bright enough to be a head coach in the NFL. It’s as simple as that. 

38 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I don't know how to feel looking ahead. Certainly there are positives, but I'm also unsure how much of our strong first half was related to Philly's rust more than our exceptional play. 

*Ding, ding, ding*

I think many of us expected the Skins only chance in the game to be if the Eagles were rusty and the Skins hungry and pounced on that.  Unfortunately, they knocked the rust off sooner than we would have hoped.  Playing a confused, vanilla defense really helps an offense to get right.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

*Ding, ding, ding*

I think many of us expected the Skins only chance in the game to be if the Eagles were rusty and the Skins hungry and pounced on that.  Unfortunately, they knocked the rust off sooner than we would have hoped.  Playing a confused, vanilla defense really helps an offense to get right.

They actually didn't. You can't expect a team that good to stay rusty for an entire half (which they did outside of one perfect pass on 3rd-and-10). 

But, up 13 and then getting a more accurate portrayal of the Eagles is when we needed to go out and make 2-3 plays (on either side of the ball) and we didn't really do that until garbage time. Something (the deep pass, a first down conversion, a sack, a 3rd down stop) that could have slowed their momentum in the 3rd quarter might have made all the difference. 

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

Just wondering...

Does the team do noticeably better in the 2nd half if Trent, Reed, Allen, and Peterson are all playing? ...Or was the coaching/playcalling too much to overcome? Or does the coaching/playcalling end up being different with those four players in the lineup?

I think there's a lot of layers to the answer to this question.

Does the team do noticeably better in the 2nd half with 71. 86, 93 and 26?

Answer: Maybe. Peterson wouldn't have helped because Gruden doesn't want him to. If Peterson were active and a different coach were in charge I'd say unequivocally the answer is yes. Peterson has vision and experience, and handing the ball to him in some of those situations would have been prudent. I don't think his attention wins the game, but I think it makes things a bit tougher on Philadelphia. It was fairly clear they gameplanned to stop the run in the 1st half and the pass in the 2nd half. If Peterson is playing in the first half they may not have been able to make such a drastic switch in strategy.

Williams? Not particularly. Probably would have been slightly better in the run game, though.

Reed? Sure. Another threat. And he's someone defenses key on.

Allen? Yes. Settle is a good backup, but he has trouble at the POA and doesn't have great wind. Allen in there keeps him fresh.

Coaching/Playcalling kind of rolls into my answer: Different coaches could have changed everything with a few minor adjustments. 

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think there's a lot of layers to the answer to this question.

Does the team do noticeably better in the 2nd half with 71. 86, 93 and 26?

Answer: Maybe.

So, if all four were playing, in the 2nd half the Eagles may have had a harder time switching up their defensive approach, Reed could have provided that extra play that extends a drive past a 3-and-out, Allen could have helped end a drive on at least one of those 3rd-and-longs, and the run game probably remains anemic overall...and no real evidence that the Skins would have ended up winning, but rather looking at least more competent in the loss (I added in this last part lol)...

I also don't get the people railing on the play-calling in the second half. We didn't run the ball well that entire game. We built our lead (and controlled the clock) in the first half due to the passing game. 

Then, in the second half as the lead was slipping away, it was our running game that hurt us more than the passing game. We ran twice on the very first drive after Philly cut the lead to 6:

1st and 10 for 0 yards

2nd and 15 for -5 yards

Then we admittedly had the all-pass 3-and-out after falling behind by 1, but 2 of those 3 plays had open receivers and were just a matter of execution (one bad pass and one drop). 

When it was 29-20 we tried another Guice run that went for a few yards but was called back by a 15-yard penalty. 

So, in the second half we ran 3 times for -20 yards and there are fans complaining that we didn't just commit to the run with the lead. 

12 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

Just wondering...

Does the team do noticeably better in the 2nd half if Trent, Reed, Allen, and Peterson are all playing? ...Or was the coaching/playcalling too much to overcome? Or does the coaching/playcalling end up being different with those four players in the lineup?

A whole lot of maybe here.  But penalties and drops where what outright killed the offense and forced less than optimal scenarios.  On the defensive side, there was a noticeable drop when Allen left the game, but at the same time - the defense was the same ole, same ole.

I expected to lose, talked to myself in the mirror before the game and said... “dude, just drink. Whiskey and beer, lots of it. It’ll be ok”

then we started rolling and I thought it was going to be a glorious day. Then the real redskins showed up and found a new way to torture me. Just go out and lose from the beginning, much easier to embrace 

It was like they played the 3rd game of the preseason yesterday where starters were only in for a half.  With so many young guys and what seemed like lack of game conditioning they needed to play a lot more in the preseason.  I see this team looking much better as the season goes on. 

Also, Chris Thompson on the Junkies this morning said it would have been a different outcome if Reed was out there forcing a safety on him and a LB on CT.  Because he was out the safety was on CT all game. 

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

1-4, or even 0-5, looks like a distinct possibility.  They needed to steal that one on the road and they had it to take.  

Since even a decent start (2-3 or 3-2) would probably have led to no better than 8-8, I'd look at the silver lining if we do go 1-4 or 0-5: we can get a look at all the younger guys and see what the next iteration if this team might have. 

Currently we have some bridge players in there...we have Norman, AP (maybe), Keenum, Penn, etc. 

If we are forced to turn the page to 2020 while the 2019 season is still going, I'd be excited to watch Hasking, Guice, whatever OL we have, the young WRs, etc. do their thing and grow up together. 

1 minute ago, justice98 said:

1-4, or even 0-5, looks like a distinct possibility.  They needed to steal that one on the road and they had it to take.  

Ya what the **** was that about?..bright spots here bright spots there yadda yadda yadda...like I told my dolphin fan friend yesterday..I think I would have rather lost like the phins did..

Theeee absolute worst mood changer yesterday...

Ya would think it would get the coach fired...but this **** will continue as long as snyder is at the helm.

Archived