Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sit Haskins for 2019??? (The Andrew Luck Effect)

Renegade7

Should we sit Haskins the entire 2019 season because of the state of the O-Line even if he's eventually ready to play???  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sit Haskins the entire 2019 season because of the state of the O-Line even if he's eventually ready to play???

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Aaron Rodgers?  Big Ben?

You guys really are hanging your hats on outlier situations from damn near 15 years ago. Sure. Let’s just sit him until it’s a perfect situation and keep burning up the most valuable commodity in the league, the years on a young QB’s first contract. 

I mean Theisman didn’t play for years. Worked then, didn’t it? 

lets do it. Skins are usually behind on trends around the league anyway so it would be pretty much on brand 

13 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

You guys really are hanging your hats on outlier situations from damn near 15 years ago. Sure. Let’s just sit him until it’s a perfect situation and keep burning up the most valuable commodity in the league, the years on a young QB’s first contract. 

lets do it. Skins are usually behind on trends around the league anyway so it would be pretty much on brand 

I mean you got a couple examples of more recent guys. 

I have no problem with starting haskins if he is ready. I just don't think that he is. And compared to other qbs (i.e. kyler Murray) i believe he could learn a lot from sitting. He needs more time to learn defensive schemes. I also thinks he needs to work on his accuracy. He doesn't have a ton of mobility so he won't be able to rely on his legs making him successful. 

We also have the luxury of having a stopgap qb under contract currently who I believe is a better qb at this point and gives us a better chance of getting to the playoffs this season.

Imo, what’s important is, we see the left side of the line, on the road, at Philly; if they’re at least average... there is no wrong side to this debate — there are plenty of strong points supporting each. DH could be a moose like Ben & never look like a guy impacted by the hits ; the experience of leading a run first, defense heavy, ball control football team ....could be what let’s him begin to take a more significant leadership role in year 2. There is no doubt that vets look at a guy differently after he’s taken all of those snaps with them. Watson & Luck are loved by their teammates as much as any QBs in the league ... and taking those hits, getting up, and battling for their teammates, played a significant role in that. 

55 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Did you read the OP either?  I dont want to sit him either, but if were leading the league in sacks and players on injured reserve I wont be mad about it.  

@Spaceman Spiff I can see this thread getting bumped without me, it already has

41 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Hell Nah to sitting him for the entire year. Makes 0 sense to me. Not even an option. He has to play and play a lot this year no doubt imo. The fact that the voting is 45% time will tell is absolutely crazy to me. But this a crazy world.🤷🏽‍♂️👨🏽‍🎤

What's crazy is taking that option off the table even if this situation goes to hell in a handbasket

3 hours ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/patrick-mahomes-kansas-city-chiefs-rookie-quarterback-analysis-2019

I can’t believe this is a real thread. Good QBs do not sit year one. I think Haskins is good. Plz play him. There is no good reason not to. 

Andrew Lucks name is in the thread title for a reason, its naive to think this doesnt change things.  

I look at the RG3/Cousins situation.  RG3 was basically thrown in day 1.  He did well because he had speed, a good arm, and Kyle designed an offense that he could excel in, not because he was a great QB.  He took a lot of hits and once the league figured out how to better play against us, his actual skill as a QB came to light.  Cousins was able to sit and learn and not get beat on for a while.  Cousins was not very good for a while, either, but he was given time to mentally mature, learn the pro game and learn the Redskins' offense.  Remember, these guys are only 21 or 22 years old.

I know this is not exactly the same, but Haskins has 1 year of starter experience in college and zero NFL experience.  It would not break my heart if they took their time getting him up to speed, especially with a potentially weak OL

I don't think we're going to be very good this season no matter who starts at QB so I say sit him for the season. (For the record, I answered "I don't know.)

We all know that the fan base will be calling for Keenum's head if we lose a lot of games early in the year but honestly, will our future be any better off "getting reps" for Haskins? I don't think it will. The only way I see starting Haskins is if Trent Williams comes back.

Most QBs nowadays play right away, so the sample size of guys who sit is pretty small, at least in terms of 1st round picks. Mid to late rounders obviously sit because they aren't expected to start right away, Russell Wilson being the exception.

Correlation doesn't equal causation though. Who is to say Trebisky or Goff or any of those kinda guys wouldn't have been better off if they sat year 1? But we'll never know.

I don't think there is any way Haskins sits the entire year. At some point we'll fall out of contention so there will be no real choice but to start him and give him some experience under live fire.

I think we should sit him until November of 2025.

A solid 6 years to learn Grudens playbook would be beneficial with the pro learning curve . 6 years would also give us ample time to completely rebuild the offensive line . I also feel 6 years might be enough time for Josh Doctson to really hit his stride as the Pro Bowl first round talent he truly is. 

6 YEARS BRUH 

giphy.gif

I'll leave it up to the coaches who see Haskins in practice every day to decide whether he knows how to read defenses and change protections well enough to be the starter. A "bad" OL can suddenly look a lot better when it plays in front of a QB who gets the ball out quickly and knows how to adjust the plays at the line.

The latest read seems to be that Haskins is developing quickly. My guess is that he'll be on the field by mid-season.

Archived