Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The State of the Economy Thread - “Falling inflation, rising growth give U.S. the world’s best recovery”

PleaseBlitz

31 minutes ago, Larry said:

. . . she said, after assuming that they make the same profit margin on every line-item charge.  

huh? Profit is income minus espenses. Let’s say you bought 5 scratch tickets costing 5 bucks  each. All lost but one ticket, which won 10 dollars. How much money did you “win”? 

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

6 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

huh? Profit is income minus cost.

And 2+2 = 4.  

And neither my statement nor yours has anything to do with your assertion that you know how much money Domino's makes on their $5 delivery charge.  

Edited by Larry

27 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

huh? Profit is income minus espenses. Let’s say you bought 5 scratch tickets costing 5 bucks  each. All lost but one ticket, which won 10 dollars. How much money did you “win”? 

If a substantial form of profit is the use of a fee that harms their own employee and is deceptive to the customer, then why have it? 

I bet it’s because their is good money in it. And not 50 cents. 

43 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

If a substantial form of profit is the use of a fee that harms their own employee and is deceptive to the customer, then why have it? 

I bet it’s because their is good money in it. And not 50 cents. 

Can you give me a good reason to separate that dollar from the other dollars?

Since you have an ethical issue with it, morally does it matter if they charge you 15 dollars for the pizza and 5 dollars to deliver it or 19 dollars for the pizza and 1 dollar to deliver it?

2 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I’m not sure why you decided to differentiate one dollar from another. Seems odd and uniquely quixotic.

Whereas I am pretty sure that I know why you switched from asserting that they make a certain profit margin overall, therefore that's the margin they make on this individual line item, and switched to arguing that all dollars are the same.  

7 hours ago, Larry said:

Whereas I am pretty sure that I know why you switched from asserting that they make a certain profit margin overall, therefore that's the margin they make on this individual line item, and switched to arguing that all dollars are the same.  

What are you talking about? My assertion has always been that all the dollars are the same. Every dollar they make 11 cent; for every 5 dollars they make 55 cent. What you are tying to do by separating this five dollars from the rest of the business is ridiculous.

Tell me your not being this disingenuous because I know your not this dull.

11 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Can you give me a good reason to separate that dollar from the other dollars?

Since you have an ethical issue with it, morally does it matter if they charge you 15 dollars for the pizza and 5 dollars to deliver it or 19 dollars for the pizza and 1 dollar to deliver it?

I explained how they use a fee that sounds like it goes to the driver as a way to profit, which benefits them and harms the driver. So when Dominos cant find drivers, the smart thing would be to incentivize people to work there... but that's not their strategy and I disagree with it. 

I'm pro clarity in business practices. I think the United States should follow other countries and include prices and fees included in advertised prices. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Wawa doesn’t make any money on selling gas.  They make money selling subs.

Are all their dollars the same?

Yes. Consider it the Wawa experience as one entire fee.

31 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I explained how they use a fee that sounds like it goes to the driver as a way to profit, which benefits them and harms the driver. So when Dominos cant find drivers, the smart thing would be to incentivize people to work there... but that's not their strategy and I disagree with it. 

I'm pro clarity in business practices. I think the United States should follow other countries and include prices and fees included in advertised prices. 

Fair enough, so you would be happy to pay the same for the pizza, and gave domino’s increase the cost of delivery from 5 to say 10 dollars as long as the increase went to the drivers?

27 minutes ago, TheDoyler23 said:

I've thought for some time that the country really needs several consumer protection laws.  

One of them I think would be along the lines of "Any consumer agreement that includes a commitment (like, a two year contract), must include the total amount of the bills associated, for the entire duration of the contract, presented in the same size print and prominance as any other prices advertised".  

No, you can't sell Direct TV with a huge advertisement of $29 a month, when the first month's bill is actually $300 (installation fees), months 2-12 will be $59 (equipment rentals, and "taxes and fees"), and months 13-24 will be $99 ("well, $29 was only for the first year of the two year contract")  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, Larry said:

I've thought for some time that the country really needs several consumer protection laws.  

One of them I think would be along the lines of "Any consumer agreement that includes a commitment (like, a two year contract), must include the total amount of the bills associated, for the entire duration of the contract, presented in the same size print and prominance as any other prices advertised".  

No, you can't sell Direct TV with a huge advertisement of $29 a month, when the first month's bill is actually $300 (installation fees), months 2-12 will be $59 (equipment rentals, and "taxes and fees"), and months 13-24 will be $99 ("well, $29 was only for the first year of the two year contract")  

Agreed.  I think most people just want transparency in what they are being charged for what services without having to interrogate the customer service rep.  

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Right. Money is fungible. 

but they’re talking about specific business practices - how that business practice is marketed and advertised, how it is perceived, and how it actually works. 

which means no, saying money is fungible and taking their overall margin then using that margin to build an argument about this one specific thing people are discussing, doesn’t really work. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

Fair enough, so you would be happy to pay the same for the pizza, and gave domino’s increase the cost of delivery from 5 to say 10 dollars as long as the increase went to the drivers?

I think Dominos (and all companies, really) should refrain from using intentionally murky practices. Set price points that ensure profitability, have a good product and not use shell games that harm customers and employees. 

Ok, but we agree the 5 dollars isn’t “profit” that dominos “pockets for themselves”

55 minutes ago, tshile said:

Right. Money is fungible. 

but they’re talking about specific business practices - how that business practice is marketed and advertised, how it is perceived, and how it actually works. 

which means no, saying money is fungible and taking their overall margin then using that margin to build an argument about this one specific thing people are discussing, doesn’t really work. 

I know that’s what they are talking about now. 

But saying the five dollars that dominoes collects to deliver pizza profit is not correct. The original claims was that the 5 dollars was just profit “pocketed for themselves” which clears it isn’t. Worst case is it is 5 dollars that recoups losses.

• Like 1

Equity-rich homeowners are 'sitting pretty' amid sky high real estate prices

Sky high real estate prices have made a growing number of homeowners "equity rich," according to a report on home equity. That means they have at least 50% equity in their property, or put another way, that the amount they owe on the home is no more than half of the property's market value.

As of the last quarter of 2021, 42% of residential properties with an underlying mortgage were considered equity rich, according to a report from Attom, a real estate data company. That was up from 30% in the fourth quarter of 2020.

"As home prices kept rising, so did the equity built up in residential properties, to the point where close to half of all mortgage payers around the country found themselves in equity-rich territory," said Todd Teta, chief product officer with Attom.

Only 3% of loans were seriously underwater, a situation in which the homeowner owed at least 25% more on their loans than the home is worth, Attom reported.

Rising home equity is an indication of the strength and stability in the housing market even as prices rise to the stratosphere. At the end of last year, equity-rich homes outnumbered those that were seriously underwater by 13 to 1, according to the report.

While no one is certain about how long the boom can last, the strong equity picture is good for the economy and homeowners, said Teta.

Click on the link for the full article

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Was 2018 pre pandemic? 🤭

anything prior to March 2020 was prepandemic - when people look at "prepandemic numbers" - they're looking at the months directly before, not 2+ years but whatever fits your narrative 🙄

but if you want to take the '2018 was pre pandemic' - so was 1969 so we're still not quite there yet...

Edited by steve09ru
  • Haha 1