Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

1 hour ago, megared said:

We still don't know what we have moving forward with either.  With our defensive struggles, and teams gameplanning to attack Norman, we may not be able to assess whether they are the answers, moving forward.  And next year is the last year of both of their deals.  

Scandrick wasn't a vet min.  His contract was $10 M for 2 years, with $1 M guaranteed.  DRC, I believe is (good thing because he's out for another 7 weeks since they IR-ed him).  Not to mention we held onto DHall for about 3 seasons too long.  I can do this all day...Greg Toler, Chris Culliver, Will Blackmon...

those guys all predate us letting go of Breeland.

7 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but both Breeland and Clinton-Dix were tossed aside by teams other than the Skins. I'm not sure either of these players playing well in 3 games in 2019 is a black mark on the Skins anymore than on the Raiders or Packers. 

this is a frequent occurrence by our "fans"

just another reminder: When we traded Fuller (still pissed about that lol) The optimistic take was that the coaches and front office had confidence in Dunbar. Last season through the first 3 weeks, I believe Dunbar was either the #4 the #7 ranked CB in the NFL per PFF's rankings. He started out incredibly well. That obviously didn't hold up due to both inconsistent play and injury...but the same may very well end up being the case for a guy like Breeland. For me, I wouldn't hang my hat (for you wacky kids out there, that means base my stance lol) on what's happened so far...both the good and the bad...hell, even the horrific lol.

3 minutes ago, carex said:

Hall retired post 2017

So we're back to the original point.  Because the team lost two CBs (3 if you count DHall as 'active') and planned poorly, we find ourselves constantly picking up washed up vets and are surprised when they're either injured, or washed up. 

Despite hindsight being 20/20, you'd rather continue to pay CBs to prove they can't play...when the team could've just initially paid the guys that have proven they can play. 

We have a $500 K cap charge for Scandrick this season.  It's ridiculous.  

27 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but both Breeland and Clinton-Dix were tossed aside by teams other than the Skins. I'm not sure either of these players playing well in 3 games in 2019 is a black mark on the Skins anymore than on the Raiders or Packers. 

Same with DeSean Jackson... who is now predictably hurt again.

36 minutes ago, carex said:

this is a frequent occurrence by our "fans"

Yeah. Don't do that.

While some people tend to tunnel vision everything to the Skin perspective, that doesn't make them any less of a fan.

It makes them frustrated.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Yeah. Don't do that.

While some people tend to tunnel vision everything to the Skin perspective, that doesn't make them any less of a fan.

It makes them frustrated.

I'm not not calling them less of a fan, I'm calling them not a fan.  You're a fan of something you like.   They don't like this team.  They used to like the team.  They might like the team in the future, but they aren't fans of the team as it currently is.  It's just inertia that keeps them here

1 hour ago, megared said:

So we're back to the original point.  Because the team lost two CBs (3 if you count DHall as 'active') and planned poorly, we find ourselves constantly picking up washed up vets and are surprised when they're either injured, or washed up. 

Despite hindsight being 20/20, you'd rather continue to pay CBs to prove they can't play...when the team could've just initially paid the guys that have proven they can play. 

We have a $500 K cap charge for Scandrick this season.  It's ridiculous.  

I think they would have brought in Scandrick anyway.  it fits the team and frankly I think it's a good idea.  Especially since he was good on teams and the Redskins frequently need help there

5 minutes ago, carex said:

I think they would have brought in Scandrick anyway.  it fits the team and frankly I think it's a good idea.  Especially since he was good on teams and the Redskins frequently need help there

Except that he sucked at playing CB.  We knew that from his Dallas days

1 minute ago, carex said:

our 4th and 5th CBs ideally spend most of their time on teams

That's not true.  They signed him to compete for the #2 spot.  Once they realized that, he indeed did suck, it didn't make sense to keep him at that salary.  

They would've NEVER guaranteed him $1 M if they thought he was going to be a teams guy.  You pay guys vet min for that.  

...Gordon's hand was forced a bit because his team was equipped with options to fill in for him. Williams just doesn't have to worry about that.

Lastly, as mentioned earlier, Gordon's holdout was strictly based on finances. It was far less complicated than the issues between Williams and the Redskins, which are related to finances but also to distrust between the offensive lineman and Bruce Allen as well as the medical staff.

Gordon was upset that his bank account wasn't being taken care of. Williams, however, is upset that his long-term health wasn't being taken care of. That's something that may be impossible to smooth over.

Because of all of those factors, the Chargers offense will be strengthened on Thursday and a distraction around the organization will disappear. Sadly, those things won't be true for the Redskins as well, and there's no reason to believe they'll be coming true anytime soon.

7 hours ago, carex said:

I'm not not calling them less of a fan, I'm calling them not a fan.  You're a fan of something you like.   They don't like this team.  They used to like the team.  They might like the team in the future, but they aren't fans of the team as it currently is.  It's just inertia that keeps them here

So fans are only fans when they're homers? 

You've been spouting this garbage here for years and it hasn't gotten cuter with age. 

Angry fans are ones who want better and know better is possible. Apathetic fans are ones who care so much that they couldn't keep up that level of passion and not go crazy--but most people spending time posting on this board in this era are not truly apathetic no matter what they say--me included. They want a SB as much as the people who find a way to have tunnel vision on the current week's game and performance on the field. I won't insult you by saying "maybe more". 

But either way you need to shut down the "not a fan stuff" and never bring it back out. Your way of seeing the team and rooting for it is not the only or optimal way to do it. There is no special ownership of the concept of "fanhood" gifted to you because you consider yourself above it all. You are just a sadsack Skins fan like everyone else here, whether you agree with them or not.

18 hours ago, Califan007 said:

just another reminder: When we traded Fuller (still pissed about that lol) The optimistic take was that the coaches and front office had confidence in Dunbar. Last season through the first 3 weeks, I believe Dunbar was either the #4 the #7 ranked CB in the NFL per PFF's rankings. He started out incredibly well. That obviously didn't hold up due to both inconsistent play and injury...but the same may very well end up being the case for a guy like Breeland. For me, I wouldn't hang my hat (for you wacky kids out there, that means base my stance lol) on what's happened so far...both the good and the bad...hell, even the horrific lol.

That was my biggest gripe about acquiring Smith.  They panicked when they (finally) realized Cousins was gone and gave way too much for the rights to pay Smith way too much.

Some days, I think Bruce is some kind of Manchurian football president taking orders from Dallas.

11 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Personally, I’ve just come to accept that carex is Larry Michael.

Larry is actually more cynical.  And I am not joking.  If you ever listen to him on the radio, he can get edgy about the team from time to time.  But on Redskins Nation he's pure pomp and positivity.  I don't blame Larry though one wit -- if I was paid by the Redskins I wouldn't be ripping them on air. 

21 hours ago, Califan007 said:

Of the players we let go, I think the big one is Preston Smith.  He was a talent.  Plenty right through this off season trashed Scot for the pick but he's certainly coming into his own.  He was a handful last night too against a pro bowl LT.  I was ok with letting him go but I was also among the few people here who touted him and said he was the best 2nd round pick we've had in eons.

Breeland has been a journeyman so I don't live and die with him.  Fuller from what I recall was the top or close to being the top rated slot corner via PFF metrics when he was here -- so him shining in KC shouldn't surprise.  That was a dumb deal from Bruce along with most of his other dumb trades he's made since he's been here.  

Haha flat out said he wanted to play with a winning culture and if I recall said he took less money to play with Chicago.  Reporters said we tried to get him back but he choose elsewhere.  So tough to blame them for this one.   He wanted to win. 

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Larry is actually more cynical.  And I am not joking.  If you ever listen to him on the radio, he can get edgy about the team from time to time.  But on Redskins Nation he's pure pomp and positivity.  I don't blame Larry though one wit -- if I was paid by the Redskins I wouldn't be ripping them on air. 

Oh I don't blame him, if they paid me what they pay him to do what he does, I'd act like all is swell too.  Which is why it's kind of hard to actually dislike carex.

13 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

So fans are only fans when they're homers? 

You've been spouting this garbage here for years and it hasn't gotten cuter with age. 

Angry fans are ones who want better and know better is possible. Apathetic fans are ones who care so much that they couldn't keep up that level of passion and not go crazy--but most people spending time posting on this board in this era are not truly apathetic no matter what they say--me included. They want a SB as much as the people who find a way to have tunnel vision on the current week's game and performance on the field. I won't insult you by saying "maybe more". 

But either way you need to shut down the "not a fan stuff" and never bring it back out. Your way of seeing the team and rooting for it is not the only or optimal way to do it. There is no special ownership of the concept of "fanhood" gifted to you because you consider yourself above it all. You are just a sadsack Skins fan like everyone else here, whether you agree with them or not.

I have yet to see the evidence you all actually believe better is possible

And you seem to have seriously misunderstood me if you think I want a Super Bowl.  The Redskins aren't anywhere near good enough to win a Super Bowl.  So I don't even think of a Super Bowl.  Seriously, I'm always a guy who says they might go 7-9 to 9-7, how can anyone think I believe the Skins going to the Super Bowl let alone winning it is somehow possible

Archived