Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

!!!!0mgz!!!! Trent Williams finally showed up

Owls0325

5 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Man... you all are undervaluing elite level OL. Sherf has been a probowl guard since he was drafted. He's worth a first and change at a minimum. Trent is an elite LT. Worth a 1st and change. Never ever undersell on elite level OL.

I agree with your valuation, he's gonna get $16M per yr when he hits free agency but I think the team thought TW would be here 2 more years and that gave them some wiggle room to figure it out.

Now they are desperate and probably unprepared to make that trade but no doubt someone might want to beat the bidding war and get a deal done now.

Would we have the balls to go into the season with no TW and Scherff? I don't know.

Does anyone ever wonder about the possible conflicted feelings that AP must be feeling, since they're best buds.

I mean, ya think, AP is thinking in the back of his mind "Trent is kinda right, but I'm just gonna ride this out, because I need the paycheck"

or is he thinking "I'm cool, if Trent's not happy, to each his own"

or something completely different maybe, of course. But there must be some degree of conflict in his mind, whether he's already mentally

resolved it or not.

The problem with Sherf is that he is an elite RG and not LG. If you have a left handed QB, this changes the conversation. But every qb is a righty. That means elite OL at the LT and LG are paid handsomely because they protect the blind side. Unless Sherf is playing there, its tough to justify a 16 mil contract. We need him. Just wish he could play on the left instead.

5 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Does anyone ever wonder about the possible conflicted feelings that AP must be feeling, since they're best buds.

I mean, ya think, AP is thinking in the back of his mind "Trent is kinda right, but I'm just gonna ride this out, because I need the paycheck"

or is he thinking "I'm cool, if Trent's not happy, to each his own"

or something completely different maybe, of course. But there must be some degree of conflict in his mind, whether he's already mentally

resolved it or not.

Doesn't really cross my mind to care about it as long as he's showing up and doing his job well.

I think the Luck thing last night demonstrates fans can never really know what's going on in a player's head. 

Well... for years there was an argument that Luck's shoulder injury was more mental than physical. Hard to say if he didnt have the fire in him altogether, or if the shellshock he took from the outset put alot of quit in him. This is a prime example of why starting Haskins right now without an OL would be foolish. Gotta play this smart. Cant send him out there like Ramsey and go 7-wide fun n' gun.

As appealing as Mike Evans is to this offense I would also prefer draft capitial. 2 first round picks will give us an opportunity to address this offense.If the young Wrs step up and we get Guice and Love healthy we are young LT and TE away from having a heck of a young core on offensive side of the ball.With Kyle Smith running the draft room this team could definitely be on the way up.

If the Patriots are still willing to deal for TW, I'd take their 1st in 2020 and C/G Ted Karras.  Karras is currently a reserve but only because the Patriots interior OL is that good.  Karras would start here.  But if the Skins are going to trade Trent or Scherff I think they need to go for picks and ascending players.   

3 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

The problem with Sherf is that he is an elite RG and not LG. If you have a left handed QB, this changes the conversation. But every qb is a righty. That means elite OL at the LT and LG are paid handsomely because they protect the blind side. Unless Sherf is playing there, its tough to justify a 16 mil contract. We need him. Just wish he could play on the left instead.

I don't believe LG is generally ranked with LT as the more difficult side, RGs are left one on one more often

3 minutes ago, carex said:

I don't believe LG is generally ranked with LT as the more difficult side, RGs are left one on one more often

RG's arent protecting the blindside. Teams generally run through the left side of the line also. Steve Hutchinson carried Shaun Alexander to an MVP.

26 minutes ago, redskinss said:

There's a fine line between balls and stupidity. 

This would probably be more on the stupidity side than courageous.

But which path would be more stupid?  TW probably won't play for the skins again, and this could very well be scherffs last season.  Their trade value is about to diminish rapidly.  Trading TW now is a no brainer if you believe he has played his final down for us, which I do, and I believe it would be foolish to accept pennies on the dollar for scherff in the form of a comp pick when we could get considerably more for him now.  But we will forgo a much more impressive haul to have one more season with a rg who has missed large chunks of the past two seasons?  In the courage vs stupidity debate, I don't think trading TW and scherff is just about courage, I think it's the smart approach, over the long term, as well.

7 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

RG's arent protecting the blindside. Teams generally run through the left side of the line also. Steve Hutchinson carried Shaun Alexander to an MVP.

If the guard position is a blind spot for the quarterback he may want to consider figure skating instead of professional football.

I was just thinking, the possibility of losing Scherff should cause us to compromise what we look for in return for TW.

Because, the reality is, we could be without our 2 best lineman next offseason.

Maybe we should just take a first for Trent and use it on his replacement, and use our current first on Scherff's replacement.

Or something of that nature. But we need to prepare for 2 gaping holes in our OL next year.

2 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

But which path would be more stupid?  TW probably won't play for the skins again, and this could very well be scherffs last season.  Their trade value is about to diminish rapidly.  Trading TW now is a no brainer if you believe he has played his final down for us, which I do, and I believe it would be foolish to accept pennies on the dollar for scherff in the form of a comp pick when we could get considerably more for him now.  But we will forgo a much more impressive haul to have one more season with a rg who has missed large chunks of the past two seasons?  In the courage vs stupidity debate, I don't think trading TW and scherff is just about courage, I think it's the smart approach, over the long term, as well.

I can definitely see the logic in your argument, and I agree trent should be traded but I still think we need to lock up scherff long term.

If we trade him away right now it sends a message to the entire team and the fans that this season is lost before it even began. 

Plus I still think that when you draft a player that high and the player becomes a perennial pro bowler you can't let him walk otherwise what's the point in drafting him that high in the first place.

3 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

or they may be a left handed QB. 

The tackle positions are blind spots because the defender works his way around the pocket and comes in from completely behind the quarterback.

I could be mistaken but I dont think pass rushers coming in from the guard position would be out of a quarterbacks peripheral vision.

But somebody with more knowledge of gap defenses and experience playing quarterback might be able to correct me on that one.

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

I can definitely see the logic in your argument, and I agree trent should be traded but I still think we need to lock up scherff long term.

If we trade him away right now it sends a message to the entire team and the fans that this season is lost before it even began. 

Plus I still think that when you draft a player that high and the player becomes a perennial pro bowler you can't let him walk otherwise what's the point in drafting him that high in the first place.

Agreed, my ideal scenario is they lock him up.  Even if it seems they overpay for him in today's dollars, by mid contract it will look pale in comparison to other guards, and at the back end of the contract it will look like a bargain. That's usually how market setting contracts play out with elite players.  I just don't have faith the Redskins will do what it takes to lock him up, and I will be livid if we settle for pennies on the dollar for another valuable asset we let walk away.  

I really hope in the next CBA they raise the cap substantially.  The players want to get paid and I hate putting my hands in their pockets because I feel like a hypocrite but we have a team that has a cap to manage so as I fan I have no choice but to scrutinize these moves, especially if good but not great guards are going to get $12M - $14M per yr.

Its time for a major adjustment.

7 minutes ago, redskinss said:

The tackle positions are blind spots because the defender works his way around the pocket and comes in from completely behind the quarterback.

I could be mistaken but I dont think pass rushers coming in from the guard position would be out of a quarterbacks peripheral vision.

But somebody with more knowledge of gap defenses and experience playing quarterback might be able to correct me on that one.

Easy now. It was a joke. 😜👌

Listened to Sheehan's podcast, he doubled down on the Pats offering a first.  Also doubled down that the Pats haven't counter offered since.  Finlay had a similar narrative that the Pats offer is off the table for the moment.

Finlay's take is they asked for a first and a 2nd.  I take that to mean they will ultimately accept a 1st and a 3rd or 4th.  that sounds about right if Schefter is guessing the compensation right.  If they truly have multiple suitors the negotiation should take care of itself.  My only fear is they hold out too long to the extent that an interested team tables their offer.  The timing though to me makes sense for it to go down this week.  

5 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I don't know about that seems to me the right guards are usually the top guards (and more athletic) on most teams.  Maybe because they pull more (just conjecture)?.

Archived