Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

1 hour ago, volsmet said:

Because the passes Tua & Kyler make we’re far different than those made by DH. The point was heard & discussed thoroughly.

The overwhelming majority of the complaints about Haskins went as deep as "but all he's doing is throwing to all of those 4.3 receivers."  This is absolutely what happened. 

I also remember specifically bringing up a comparison of Haskins's guys to the ones Murray and Tua were playing with and asking the room how were his better, and why were the same people who were Tua and Murray fans using the surrounding talent knock on Haskins?  Not a single person dinged Tua for it in last year's thread.  You're telling me it's not an absurd contradiction because Tua on average threw the ball two yards further in the air?  lol.  Hinging an argument about a QB's quality on average depth of target is dumb and myopic.  And that guy is basically claiming that you can't run an NFL offense based around short passes which is also a load of crap.  Not to mention that anyone who actually watched the kid play would know that the intermediate passing game was his most notable strength.

Haskins ran his offense at an elite level last season and he was a great prospect.  And knocking Tua for his surrounding talent this year is as wrong as knocking Haskins for his surrounding talent last year.  A quarterback's job is to utilize his personnel, period.  End of story.  But Draftnik law states that Tua will be criticized for his teammates now that he's under the microscope, followed by criticism of his size, then followed by criticism of him getting hurt.  Then you'll get a lot of talk about how it'd be better to tank for the "stacked 2021 QB class" and get Trevor Lawrence.  And then Tua will get picked #1 overall and we'll start the cycle over again with Lawrence the next year.

OT - Jack Driscoll (6-5, 296, Gr. Transfer) - Auburn

At the Tigers left tackle spot, Prince Tega Wanogho is already being talked about as one of the top pass protectors in the country. As you continue to study the teams offense though, you notice that the opposite edge of the pocket continuously remained firm as well. Stumbling upon Driscoll was a bit of an accident while studying the opposite side of the offensive line. 

Originally starting his career at UMass, where he started 20 games (12 - right tackle, 6 - left guard, 2 - left tackle), the talented offensive tackle elected to test the waters with upper tier competition by becoming a graduate transfer and opting to continue his career at Auburn (Jan. 2018)

While not the most athletic offensive tackle in the country, Driscoll went on to start all 13 games a season ago. He's able to win with his smarts, hand positioning, and precise understanding of angles. His preferred method is to attempt to outsmart matchups with his versatile techniques, but also he's reluctant to allow pressure because of his consistency with encouraging rushers to rush themselves out of plays. Allowing clear step up lanes for quarterbacks, he thrives on simple victories on each rep throughout the course of games.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/reiding-between-the-lines--5-sleeper-prospects-to-keep-an-eye-on

The draft world is catching up to ES contributor volsmet. Adorable.

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. writes that Georgia junior T Andrew Thomas "doesn't make mistakes."

Nobody's perfect, but maybe Thomas is. Kiper believes it's possible -- without actually predicting it -- that 2020 is the year of the tackle resurgence, and he has the 6-foot-5, 320-pound Bulldog lineman at the top of that list. Kiper also notes that Thomas has long arms and good feet, and the fact that he's played well at both left and right tackle is a nice added benefit. Don't be surprised if Thomas is the top drafted lineman in 2020.

SOURCE: ESPN
Aug 23, 2019, 7:46 PM ET
  •  

I am really looking forward to seeing if the QB's live up to the hype this year. This should be a really great year for a QB. Which begs the question. What if we suck REALLY bad this year. Would we pull an Arizona and take Tua or Hebert with Haskins already on the roster? 

Luck retiring early may help us for the 2020 draft. So far, it may be fair to say that the 2020 draft class has more OT prospects in the top 20 than QBs. If that’s the case, and we’re likely picking in the 10-15 range yet again, Luck retiring might add another team in the QB hunt. So, we likely are in a better position to trade down to a QB needy team and still get a great LT past #20 and pick up more picks. 

Well, from what I'm reading, after the Dylan Moses ACL injury...the ILB class looks bleak for 2020.  Sounds like we've gotta hope Cole Holcomb pans out and Reuben Foster stays healthy (for once).

Most problematic spots for the future of the team are on the offensive side of the ball.  ILB is likely to be one on defense.  So that's rough.  But this does seem more likely that our 2020 pick is destined to be offense, and that of WR or OL.

Clemson's guard John Simpson (74) has a chance to be an upper tier guard in the NFL imo. To be that flexible at 330 lbs is insane, and with that nasty initial punch his ability to steer and maintain blocks in the run game is a joy to watch. There were instances last season where he took his assignment out of the play right off the snap. I didn't get a chance to watch their game tonight but the box score shows it's been more of the same from him. I'd take him in round 2 if he fell that far. 

It’s funny being on this forum on this day, but Elliss, Forbes, Moreland, Darwin & Cashman made this a good one in draftville. 

Denmark would have made it better. But, Denmark makes everything better, even Greenland.

I caught the first half of the Ohio State game.  These kinds of match ups take some of the fun out of CFB.  But man... that first string Ohio State defense is something else.  And Chase Young is incredible.  He is one of those warrior elite guys who just makes his job look easy.  It seems like every motion he makes does something to beat a block or screw up a quarterback.  It's natural.

I was impressed with FIelds too.  The raw talent is next level with him.  Ohio State is playing a different breed of QB now.  I'm not sure when Michigan is ever going to beat them.

3 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

Judy or Chase Young?  If you had your choice, who would you take for our team?

I think I'd take Young.  He's got that look to be the next great young pass rushing star.  

Young if we somehow got the choice, but there must be something in the water, because I'm actually feeling a little optimism this season.  I think we win 7 or 8 games again.

But if we got to pick from anybody in the class, right now the guy I want is Andrew Thomas.  He's the right combo of BPA talent at a position of desperate need.

Archived