Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Would you want HBO Hard Knocks to feature us this year?

LetThePointsSoar

19 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

That’s why I used the word “consistent” as a qualifier. It was more than just an add-on word. Vegas is big on consistency for a reason. I think people were higher on us last off-season because, even though everyone knew Alex’s 2017 season was an outlier, he had proven over the last 5+ years that he could be the leader on a perennial playoff contender. His style of play led to regular season success. 

Keenum had only done that one year, and then he fell back to his usual team and personal performance level last year. Perhaps this was an excellent buy-low opportunity on Keenum, and he will lead us to the playoffs this year, but count me as one of the doubters that either he or an inexperienced rookie will make that happen. 

In all honesty, if we lost every game by less than one score and ended up with the #1 overall pick next year, which we could then trade for a king’s ransom, I’d be much happier than if we once again go 7-9 or 8-8. 

Not me because it likely also means the guys we think are good (Allen, Payne, Collins, etc). aren’t. If we go 3-13 this year it likely means two things: the things we thought could be bad, were bad. The things we thought might be good, weren’t. 

And if we do go down a 2-14/3-13 path and wind up with a top pick, it likely also means Haskins sucked. And in that case we should do what Zone did, draft Tua, and trade Haskins for whatever you can get. 

Just now, kleese said:

Not me because it likely also means the guys we think are good (Allen, Payne, Collins, etc). aren’t. If we go 3-13 this year it likely means two things: the things we thought could be bad, were bad. The things we thought might be good, weren’t. 

We are likely to start a rookie QB who will be leading a roster with 20 million in cap on the ir. 

29 minutes ago, kleese said:

And if we do go down a 2-14/3-13 path and wind up with a top pick, it likely also means Haskins sucked. And in that case we should do what Zone did, draft Tua, and trade Haskins for whatever you can get. 

Thats why I said we’d need to lose by one score or less every game to be happy. I’d be able to chalk that up to randomness and bad luck more so than terrible talent. 

26 minutes ago, volsmet said:

We are likely to start a rookie QB who will be leading a roster with 20 million in cap on the ir. 

Gone are the days of bringing along a young QB slowly. If he’s good, he’s going to at least show legit glimpses of it from the very beginning. Jared Goff is a recent exception of a rookie QB who looked inept and then rebounded strong in year 2. But most QBs that stink as rookies either stink forever or never graduate past the “meh” level. Things have changed drastically in that regard. If we go 4-12 this year and Haskins doesn’t look good, I would absolutely be on board going QB again next year in draft. 

Just now, kleese said:

Gone are the days of bringing along a young QB slowly. If he’s good, he’s going to at least show legit glimpses of it from the very beginning. Jared Goff is a recent exception of a rookie QB who looked inept and then rebounded strong in year 2. But most QBs that stink as rookies either stink forever or never graduate past the “meh” level. Things have changed drastically in that regard. If we go 4-12 this year and Haskins doesn’t look good, I would absolutely be on board going QB again next year in draft. 

I’m simply saying our D & Haskins could play well & still not result in more than a few wins. We are starting with less money invested on the field than anyone else in the league & a rookie QB is going to struggle no matter how gifted he is. A plodding - pro style - offense ... without a single legitimate big play threat .. the results could be ugly, but that ugliness may have plenty of reason for hope within it. 

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I’m simply saying our D & Haskins could play well & still not result in more than a few wins. We are starting with less money invested on the field than anyone else in the league & a rookie QB is going to struggle no matter how gifted he is. A plodding - pro style - offense ... without a single legitimate big play threat .. the results could be ugly, but that ugliness may have plenty of reason for hope within it. 

Well, I disagree with this. It’s the league of parity now. If the defense plays well and the QB plays well, they will NOT be a bad team. At worst, they will be average. The rest of the offense would have to be putrid. And while I agree about the lack of a big play threat or explosive weapons, the OL is not putrid and the RBs are not putrid. And Jay’s #1 strength is finding ways to get guys open in passing game. So if he has a QB that is playing well, there will likely be enough opportunities to move the chains. If our D is good and our QB is good; we will have at WORST an average season. 

Just now, kleese said:

Well, I disagree with this. It’s the league of parity now. If the defense plays well and the QB plays well, they will NOT be a bad team. At worst, they will be average. 

A rookie QB playing well is rarely good QB play. There is a qualifier for any rookie — add to that the fact that his roster is handcuffed by the Smith contract & victories should be hard to come by — why should we beat anyone with a rookie QB & 1/8th of our cap on the bench from day 1? 

43 minutes ago, volsmet said:

A rookie QB playing well is rarely good QB play. There is a qualifier for any rookie — add to that the fact that his roster is handcuffed by the Smith contract & victories should be hard to come by — why should we beat anyone with a rookie QB & 1/8th of our cap on the bench from day 1? 

Because the notion of a rookie QB making progress while not being very good is becoming a thing of the past. Baker Mayfield came in last year and in one game was already as effective as Tyrod Taylor who’d been starting in the league for years. Dak, Luck, Russell Wilson, Mahomes, etc.... all guys that were legitimately good right from the very beginning. The guys that struggle early and then blossom are now the exception, not the rule. I think a guy like Gabbert you saw him in two starts and it was like, “uh oh, he can’t play.” If Haskins is going to be a good QB in the NFL someday, he will likely at least be a solid starter by any standard in year one. 

12 hours ago, kleese said:

Because the notion of a rookie QB making progress while not being very good is becoming a thing of the past. Baker Mayfield came in last year and in one game was already as effective as Tyrod Taylor who’d been starting in the league for years. Dak, Luck, Russell Wilson, Mahomes, etc.... all guys that were legitimately good right from the very beginning. The guys that struggle early and then blossom are now the exception, not the rule. I think a guy like Gabbert you saw him in two starts and it was like, “uh oh, he can’t play.” If Haskins is going to be a good QB in the NFL someday, he will likely at least be a solid starter by any standard in year one. 

All of those guys can extend plays — 3 of them relied on their ability to run & the other is Andrew Luck. Haskins has to win from the pocket, which is the toughest thing in the NFL to do — again — on a roster that is missing 1/8th of its cap. Haskins has made 14 starts, Dak, Luck, Wilson & Mahomes all entered the league with 30+.

Gabbert was undraftable to me, so I can’t compare him & Haskins.

Solid is not good. The point is, we could easily only win 3 with Haskins being solid

Hell yes we should do hard knocks. Anything Redskins is fine with me.  I don't believe I have ever seen an extended inside look of the team outside of our own production releases. Imo - having an opportunity to see coaches coach, plus getting beyond a first impression with new players is a good thing. 

1 minute ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Yes, absolutely they should be on Hard Knocks.  Maybe it forces better practices, preparation and helps set a tone from the beginning of camp until the season starts.  Assuming everything said by DJ was true, which I believe it was.

Our defense has enough Bama guys to know what a practice should look like, now we just need to draft offensive players from 🤔 Washington State 🤨.

Is it too early for us to blame losing this season on Reuben Foster's injury, which we can blame on HBO for considering choosing us for Hard Knocks? Hard Knocks makes teams bad because it does, so I don't see why it can't cause injuries too.

7 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Is it too early for us to blame losing this season on Reuben Foster's injury, which we can blame on HBO for considering choosing us for Hard Knocks? Hard Knocks makes teams bad because it does, so I don't see why it can't cause injuries too.

Teams, players, coaches, injuries, front office staff, owner, GM, trainers, etc. make teams bad.  Not a television show.  Is it a distraction?  Absolutely.  But outside of filming practices and showing some players watching film, parts of team meetings, etc.  is it really that distracting at the end of the day?  

I enjoy watching the show (from time to time), enjoyed the Browns on it last year.  But I really don't think it gives fans that much "insider access".   A lot of focus in the show is the roster cuts and bubble players, draft picks and journeyman players.  And we get to hear some coaches cussing players, etc. (e.g Gregg Williams lol), which is already expected imo.

Sheehan had a good point I thought on his podcast on this.  Besides the PR boost at a time they need it -- he also heard they give the team some serious editing input so if they want to foster some narrative about the FO like Doug is really the key dude behind the scenes or whatever they want to portray -- they can use the show to help manipulate that image or whatever image they want to convey about the FO.

3 minutes ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

We may as well be on Hard Knocks as we have already started our own in-house version on the 3rd play in OTA's.  Hail

This.... There's a show called Redskins 365 that's as good as Hard Knocks. If I was the Redskins, I'd tell the NFL were already doing something similar; make another team do it.

Personally, I don't care. 

Archived