Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All Things "AOC" Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez & the Squad.

88Comrade2000

12 minutes ago, Larry said:

2). So, I'm going to do that more, and ask how you turn a low-wage neighborhood into a higher-wage one without bringing in higher wages?  

It's not necessary to do this, especially in a burough like Queens, which provides safe and affordable housing to new immigrants and is the hub of many small locally-owned businesses operated by minorities. 

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

You can't.  The question is, and reasonable people can disagree, is whether you want to turn a low-wage neighborhood into a higher-wage one.

Isn't not turning it into a higher-wage one how you become a slum?

i keep having this vision, given the times we live in, of one day hearing that aoc and matt gaetz have become a couple

that would be a way way worse version of rebecca berg hooking up with brendan buck, which did hurt me personally just a little tiny bit

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I think you can have a working-class neighborhood that isn't a slum.  

Certainly possible.  But my gut says that being a working class neighborhood and choosing to choosing to resist higher wages is a recipe to get left behind.  And the closer one gets to slum-hood, the more forces will be pushing you in that direction.  

Edited by Larry

2 minutes ago, Larry said:

Certainly possible.  But my gut says that being a working class neighborhood and choosing to stay that way is a recipe to get left behind.  And the closer one gets to slum-hood, the more forces will be pushing you in that direction.  

Lots of people agree with this.  Alternatively , lots of people think that gentrification unfairly displaces vulnerable lower-income people that haven't done anything wrong, and destroys the fabric of that neighborhood.  Like I said, reasonable people can disagree.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Lots of people agree with this.  Alternatively , lots of people think that gentrification unfairly displaces vulnerable lower-income people that haven't done anything wrong, and destroys the fabric of that neighborhood.  Like I said, reasonable people can disagree.  

It certainly can.  Recall a Blue Bloods line where Tom Selleck is commenting about "places that sell $20 coffees next door to bodegas that still take food stamps."  

I think both things can be true, which is bringing in higher wage jobs will improve the area, raise values, bring in more visitors with money etc etc etc.....on the surface that is what you want, but it also has the downside which is displacing people who were there, often times for generations, before all of that showed up, and now they are basically uprooted from their place of living and kicked on down the street to the next poor neighborhood.  Just look at the CA Bay Area, particularly San Francisco to see an extreme example of wealthy & poverty living shoulder to shoulder. 

It is a complex issue.

40 minutes ago, Larry said:

Isn't not turning it into a higher-wage one how you become a slum?

That may be true and Queens certainly has some slum-like portions, but for the most part it’s charm is that it’s working class and it’s very livable. Astoria, Jackson Heights etc are neighborhoods that new immigrants and working class NYers can afford and they also attract a lot of people/tourists because of the diversity of shops and restaurants where you can find some of the best ethnic food in the city and imported goods. 

Amazon HQ in Queens was kind of a unique situation where it would have gentrified neighborhoods that were not in need of gentrification. There are times when gentrification is necessary but this wasn’t one of them.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 2

She said the Congressional Progressive Caucus should start kicking people out if they stray too far from the party line. Other caucuses within the Democratic Party in Congress require applications, Ocasio-Cortez pointed out. But “they let anybody who the cat dragged in call themselves a progressive. There’s no standard,” she said.The same goes for the party as a whole: “Democrats can be too big of a tent.”

10 minutes ago, DoneMessedUp said:

Reads like a piece from The Onion but it’s very real and very stupid. Looks like someone (AOC) will be issuing retractions soon. “We need to appeal to less people” is a galaxy brain take. 

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...
5 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Sad little men aren’t used to women, especially minorities, who don’t back down. 

Yea, this was my take too.  Anyone that runs and is elected to Congress has a healthy ego, I'm betting that there is quite a bit of resentment towards AOC for her popularity, compounded by a healthy dose of misogyny and racism.  

AOC, as usual, is pitch perfect.

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 1

One day there is probably going to be a secret "Why won't AOC date me" FB group page revealed that most of these GOPers are a part of, where they sit around all day stewing about how she ignores their advances and won't go grab drinks with them at the end of the work day. 

• Haha 5