Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2024 MLB Thread

ixcuincle

It always bothered me that teams play 162 games only to be eliminated after 2 or 3 games.  They should really make the wild-card round a 5-game series.  I've been saying they should shorten the damn regular season forever now.  Automated strike zone and shorten the season, you would see WAY more interest in baseball.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, GhostofSparta said:

The Rays organization is solid, and they have a good core of players, but they play in the worst market in MLB, and they play in the worst stadium.  The Rays could be the '98 Yankees, but I would still struggle to watch them due to them playing in that trash can called Tropicana Field.  The fact that they only get about 10-15K attendance even when they are good, just speaks volumes to how terrible the Tampa market is for MLB.  Some might say that Miami is the worst market, but I think that Miami would actually be a more marketable franchise with potential, if they had a team worth coming out to watch.  If Miami was a regular contender like Tampa Bay, you would definitely see higher attendance at Marlins Ballpark than what you would see at Tropicana Field.  I know that the Rays just got approved for a new stadium to be built in St. Petersburg, so hopefully the new ballpark will have fans come out to improve their attendance.

Edited by samy316

24 minutes ago, samy316 said:

The Rays organization is solid, and they have a good core of players, but they play in the worst market in MLB, and they play in the worst stadium.  The Rays could be the '98 Yankees, but I would still struggle to watch them due to them playing in that trash can called Tropicana Field.  The fact that they only get about 10-15K attendance even when they are good, just speaks volumes to how terrible the Tampa market is for MLB.

Funny thing is, DC was one of the finalists for the Rays. Apparently Steinbrenner pushed for Tampa to have a team. I am sure Angelos had something to do with it too.

42 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Funny thing is, DC was one of the finalists for the Rays. Apparently Steinbrenner pushed for Tampa to have a team. I am sure Angelos had something to do with it too.

Steinbrenner probably wanted the the newly formed Rays in Tampa, so that the Yankees could have 9-10 extra home games a year.  Tropicana Field only sells out for Red Sox and Yankee games.

• Like 1

The location of the Trop is awful and I didn't believe this until I saw it in person. Unless you live in Clearwater or St. Petersburg, you have to come from Tampa, go through tampa, and/or go over a long ass congested bridge (there are several and they all dump onto the same road). There is very little around the park. It's bad.

I don't know if building a new park in the same spot is the play because it doesn't solve the issue. The team winning doesn't seem to be enough. Are bars and restaurants around the new stadium enough to draw out 10K more people, 80+ times a year?

eh... 

1 hour ago, TheDoyler23 said:

The location of the Trop is awful and I didn't believe this until I saw it in person. Unless you live in Clearwater or St. Petersburg, you have to come from Tampa, go through tampa, and/or go over a long ass congested bridge (there are several and they all dump onto the same road). There is very little around the park. It's bad.

I don't know if building a new park in the same spot is the play because it doesn't solve the issue. The team winning doesn't seem to be enough. Are bars and restaurants around the new stadium enough to draw out 10K more people, 80+ times a year?

eh... 

Apparently, the new stadium will be built on the same land that the Trop currently occupies.  They will be adding new shops and restaurants around the area.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/st-petersburg/2023/09/19/renderings-tropicana-tampa-bay-rays-stadium-hines-gas-light-images/

On 10/5/2023 at 5:33 AM, abdcskins said:

It always bothered me that teams play 162 games only to be eliminated after 2 or 3 games.  They should really make the wild-card round a 5-game series.  I've been saying they should shorten the damn regular season forever now.  Automated strike zone and shorten the season, you would see WAY more interest in baseball.

they really need to remove like 40 games from the schedule. Even when the Orioles are good, I watch through April 15 or so, and then I tune out until mid July. 

Also having the schedule extend through November is absurd. They should basically target Opening Day around April 15 and Game 7 of the WS for October 15.  It’ll never happen but I can dream.

• Like 1

Kershaw sucking in the postseason makes little sense. Do the hitters get a mental boost and he gets a mental hit?  

Was it wrong of me to find video of the homerun just so I could see his reaction?  "Not again -- again!".  At this point his failures are inexplicably amsuing... and we all know him and Dave Roberts will send him out for his next regularly scheduled start.