Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ye Auld 2019 Free Agency Tracker

Riggo-toni

17 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

On 980 sports radio this morning Al Galdi questions the $4 million signing for Flowers which he says is unfair to Adrian Peterson who signed for less money and had a good year for us last year.  Meanwhile Flowers has done awful given his draft position and has struggled so far in the NFL.  If I was Callahan I would tell Allen that I cannot work miracles with this dude.  Now we cannot bring back Ty Nseche-- he started 16 games over the last 4 years.  Our front office gets worse instead of better each year.  The Prince of Darkness will soon surpass Vinny Ceratto for worst GM in Skins history.

Ty Nseche is a million years old and already signed elsewhere. Peterson is also old. Flowers is 24. There have been plenty of OT's who couldn't hack it and then were successful at guard. Look at Rodger Saffold? And if Flowers sucks, you spent no draft capital on him. I'm sure his 4 million is incentive laden. 

Very happy that Peterson was re-signed. Like most, I originally had some reservations (age, fitness, durability, attitude) but he's proved that they were unfounded. Very professional vet who is still a threat and can hopefully also help Guise come along.

Just now, London Kev said:

Very happy that Peterson was re-signed. Like most, I originally had some reservations (age, fitness, durability, attitude) but he's proved that they were unfounded. Very professional vet who is still a threat and can hopefully also help Guise come along.

I agree 100 percent. He is a real professional on the field, and when is comes to preparation. And he's a hard nosed, tough guy. Give me a whole team of AP's. 

24 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

We need a WR.  I would be happy for Inman or Crabtree. We were wrecked with injuries and Quick still didn't get targets and likely won't this year, as his sights are firmly set on playing until the age of 40. 

Ryan Grant is still out there... I mention that so heads don't explode.  As is Aldrick, and Nick Williams.

I'm really hoping Cam Sims has a breakout year and we draft a stud to go along with P. Richardson/Quinn.  Sims has skills and most of our receivers just need somebody to throw the ball downfield.  He and Colt seem to also have chemistry and after all, he is an Alabama player!  😂😂

34 minutes ago, veteranskinsfan said:

On 980 sports radio this morning Al Galdi questions the $4 million signing for Flowers which he says is unfair to Adrian Peterson who signed for less money and had a good year for us last year.  Meanwhile Flowers has done awful given his draft position and has struggled so far in the NFL.  If I was Callahan I would tell Allen that I cannot work miracles with this dude.  Now we cannot bring back Ty Nseche-- he started 16 games over the last 4 years.  Our front office gets worse instead of better each year.  The Prince of Darkness will soon surpass Vinny Ceratto for worst GM in Skins history.

guess what?  in terms of football you don't know what a miracle is.

Hell Tony Mandarich managed to come back from being a bust at tackle and starting consistently for the Colts for three years

1 minute ago, carex said:

guess what?  in terms of football you don't know what a miracle is.

Hell Tony Mandarich managed to come back from being a bust at tackle and starting consistently for the Colts for three years

I made this post in the Ereck Flowers thread:

Let me tell you lads a little story I like to call "The Ballad of Big Mike Williams"

No... not one of the receiving Mike Williams'.... but the Tackle Mike Williams who was the 4th pick in the NFL draft in 2002.

He bounced around from city to city and buffet to buffet in the early years of his career.  Then was out of football for a time before coming to work for Coach Keeping it Medium, himself.  He weighed over 400lbs when he showed up to Redskins camp, eventually dropping a ton of weight so that he could play guard, where he played really well to be fair.

Unfortunately he had a bad ticker and had to retire.  

I get the same vibe from this signing - no tangible reason other than I just feel like it's going to work out.  Flowers is also much younger than Big Mike was when he showed up.  If he can be motivated then he could work out.

I don't think Trent Williams and Brandon Scherff are going to let anyone half-ass their way on this offensive line.

^^^ Agreed DC9... as I mentioned. He has quick, but terrible feet. Which is why he can pull and get to the 2nd level quite well...but cant back peddle, setup, and anchor at all.

He also is terrible reading/timing pass rushers and keeping balance & bend. Those things alone KILL you at Tackle, but are non-existent at Guard.

He is much better moving forward than backward.

His 10 yard split was 1.78... Same as Scherff while being bigger, longer, and a little stronger.

He has MILES to go as a pass blocker as a tackle... but a couple of small tweaks and he could be a Pro-Bowl caliber run blocker as a guard.

Its a great gamble to make. 

54 minutes ago, Kurd Cudins said:

The problem isn't that we signed Flowers with the idea of re-purposing him as a guard. The problem is that we gave $4 million to a guy who has proven to be ineffective in this league. We are counting on something to happen that has a very low chance of happening. We keep trying to put square pegs in round holes and it only works if the peg is small and leaves gaps. Sure, we are going to bring in a rookie to compete, but our never ending moronic attempts to fix the LG position are becoming increasingly hilarious. 

Need to stop running with this $4M number until we know the details. It's highly likely he gets less than $1M guaranteed - with a lot of incentives, many of which are virtually impossible to reach. I also disagree with the "very low chance" opinion. Flowers was projected to be a G out of college. The Giants insisted he be a T, and on a really bad line at that. It's actually the Giants who have played him out of position. I am not saying he is a lock to be a great G. But he has a much better chance of being successful than very low and is only 24 y/o. Lot of upside to this signing. 

I do agree that even if they draft a LG, they have taken an overall poor approach to fixing the LG issue. While I hope Flowers works out and he is not getting much money, I would have much preferred they spend more money and sign a known solid starter. It opens up what they do in the draft. They continue to be a year behind fixing issues - NT now Oline. Just a few more strategically chosen FAs would put them light yrs ahead of where they are. But Bruce continues to show he has no long term vision. He is more reactionary. 

They do not seem to understand their roster very well or they are delusional. My money is on a bit of both.

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

Need to stop running with this $4M number until we know the details. It's highly likely he gets less than $1M guaranteed - with a lot of incentives, many of which are virtually impossible to reach. I also disagree with the "very low chance" opinion. Flowers was projected to be a G out of college. The Giants insisted he be a T, and on a really bad line at that. It's actually the Giants who have played him out of position. I am not saying he is a lock to be a great G. But he has a much better chance of being successful than very low and is only 24 y/o. Lot of upside to this signing. 

I do agree that even if they draft a LG, they have taken an overall poor approach to fixing the LG issue. While I hope Flowers works out and he is not getting much money, I would have much preferred they spend more money and sign a known solid starter. It opens up what they do in the draft. They continue to be a year behind fixing issues - NT now Oline. Just a few more strategically chosen FAs would put them light yrs ahead of where they are. But Bruce continues to show he has no long term vision. He is more reactionary. 

They do not seem to understand their roster very well or they are delusional. My money is on a bit of both.

how many known, solid and HEALTHY starters were really available this FA period

3 minutes ago, carex said:

how many known, solid and HEALTHY starters were really available this FA period

Either of the top two Gs signed would have been fine. Saffold or Glowinski. Saffold had an injury problem but has been healthy the last few yrs. I would have tried harder though for Glowinski - pry him away from the Colts. Ted Karras is still out there. Has not played a lot but has looked good when he has played. 

I am more pissed they did nothing last yr. They brought Sean L back. Sorry but that was just horrible. I know they thought Arie would be the starter till he got inured. But that also begs a question. 

Maybe they are thinking Arie again. I hope not. I hope they go G in the 1st, and maybe even slide down a few spots and get some additional draft picks. 

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Cowboys are in trade talks with the Dolphins about DE Robert Quinn.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports free agent S Eric Berry will visit the Cowboys Tuesday.

Got to hand it to the 'boys, they're fixing things up to make a run. 

Meanwhile we're fixin'............hell i don't know what we're doing anymore.

Just now, MEANDWARF said:

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Cowboys are in trade talks with the Dolphins about DE Robert Quinn.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports free agent S Eric Berry will visit the Cowboys Tuesday.

Got to hand it to the 'boys, they're fixing things up to make a run. 

Meanwhile we're fixin'............hell i don't know what we're doing anymore.

A guy who rarely makes an impact and a guy who may never see the field again... that constitutes making a run?

6 minutes ago, MEANDWARF said:

Quinn is decent, but not a world beater. I think Demarcus Lawrence might hold out for a contract. They probably need to get Quinn in there. Regardless, I think Quinn is going to be a FA next year. They won't(shouldn't) franchise him twice in a row. 

I agree with those that posted about the absurdity of planning around Arie K and SL at guard. That's one of the areas where Allen has been awful. He has screwed the pooch at the QB position and he drafts and signs and builds around chronically injured players and expects them to be available and reliable. 

1 minute ago, SkinsNoles21 said:

Flowers is not good. He's never been good. He never will be good.

he was good enough to be a first round draft pick.  And despite his issues coming out of college that is where he was predicted to go

Archived