Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

5 minutes ago, -JB- said:

1,000 pages in & I cannot express fully my gratitude for what Ryan Zimmerman has meant to this franchise & fanbase.  100% class.  100% heart.  100% guts.  

So great that he got his ring with some clutch hits in that playoff run.  I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that he’d be a borderline HOFer if his shoulder doesn’t get hurt.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

So great that he got his ring with some clutch hits in that playoff run.  I don’t think it’s a stretch to say that he’d be a borderline HOFer if his shoulder doesn’t get hurt.

That sawed off broken bat single in the Wild Card game was epic.  ALWAYS came through in the clutch.  Such a professional.

Law on Cavalli:

Right-hander Cade Cavalli was Washington’s first-round pick in 2020, taking him 22nd overall out of the University of Oklahoma, and he’s surged this year to become the team’s top pitching prospect and second in the system behind newly-acquired catcher Keibert Ruiz. Cavalli started the year in High A but was so dominant that the Nats promoted him to Double A after seven starts. I caught his outing Thursday night against Erie, which had a pair of top-10 overall prospects in its lineup in Spencer Torkelson and Riley Greene, and saw premium stuff but below-average command and control.

Cavalli is all power on the mound, topping out at 98 on my gun and 99 on the scoreboard, pitching at 94-98 for most of the outing and dropping down as low as 91 toward the end of his night. He showed a plus slider at 85-88 that he worked mostly in the zone or down and away to right-handers and a mid-80s changeup that he used heavily to lefties. The fastball was especially effective when he’d go up top with it, allowing him to set up his offspeed pitches lower in the zone. His delivery is strong as well, with a long stride and good extension over his front side.

What Cavalli lacks, however, is average control — let alone command. He threw 100 pitches in five innings against Erie, just 57 of them strikes. He succeeded by overpowering hitters — even Greene and Torkelson, both elite hitting prospects — rather than with location. He’s also walked 25 men in 41 1/3 innings in Double A, with only two starts where he walked less than a man for every two innings pitched. Cavalli wasn’t a big strike-thrower in college, so this isn’t a surprise, but it does mean he’s likely to need more time before he becomes an above-average major-league starter than most college starters do. He also has better pure stuff than most of those guys and offers a higher upside if he gets to just average command.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2021 at 12:35 PM, mammajamma said:

Definitely a little tough seeing dodgers fans on Twitter last night, watching Trea for the first time, saying they "need 10 more Treas" and that he's "already the best player on the team". And then reading the article that Trea loved DC and didn't want to leave until he saw that Max was excited.

I think Riz has earned the benefit of the doubt by now though.

The only consolation for me is that Josiah Gray would not be a National had Trea Turner not been part of that deal, and JoJo seems to be a legit star in the making.  He's a relatively new pitcher, only being full time on the mound since his junior year in college, so he will only get better as he learns the craft.  But damn, to lose the second best shortstop in all of baseball - and one of the fastest players in the game... that stings like a son of ****.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

The only consolation for me is that Josiah Gray would not be a National had Trea Turner not been part of that deal, and JoJo seems to be a legit star in the making.  He's a relatively new pitcher, only being full time on the mound since his junior year in college, so he will only get better as he learns the craft.  But damn, to lose the second best shortstop in all of baseball - and one of the fastest players in the game... that stings like a son of ****.

Don't sleep on Ruiz either--honestly, he sounds like Rendon coming out of college at the plate. Gerardo Carrillo will probably end up in the bullpen, but sounds like he has some nasty stuff:

SCOUTING REPORT: Carrillo's stuff is undeniable. His sinker sits 94-97 mph with nearly 16 inches of run and his short, 89-91 mph slider is a swing-and-miss pitch that moves in the opposite direction. He generates his power stuff with remarkable ease and holds his velocity deep into his outings. He also flashes an average changeup with late drop and mixes in a below-average, slurvy curveball. Carrillo's issue is his well below-average control. He often throws strikes one inning and can't find the plate the next. He's still learning to control the tempo of his delivery and be on time with his arm.

THE FUTURE: Carrillo doesn't throw enough strikes to start, but he has the stuff to be power reliever if he can keep the ball over the plate. He'll see Double-A in 2021.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Not gonna be a guy we see in 2022 for anything beyond a Sept call up. 

No need to rush him but if he’s terrorizing the minors midway thru 2022 I’d have to think it’s a no brainer to bring him up even if we aren’t in contention.

Edited by -JB-

50 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

Hearing this morning that Trea wanted to stay, but the Learners are only interested in paying pitchers.  It's true, but still depressing to hear that they weren't willing to listen to what he wanted or had to say as far as offers.

Of course he's going to say he wanted to stay--what do you expect? "Yeah, **** them, I'm glad I'm out of there?"

Here is what we know: Rizzo offered him a very team friendly deal before 2020, before he blew up in 2020 and this year. The Tatis and Lindor extensions blew up that market--Turner is demonstrably better than Lindor. Logically, he would be asking for at least $200-$250m, given he said and that the Tatis and Lindor got far more than that. We have no idea what was said or what the discussion that took place were. Rizzo also said that Turner's agent told him that they wanted to see what the FA market looked like before discussing any extension. Also, the Stras TOS is a killer, more so than Corbin cratering. We will next nothing from Stras contract--TOS is a career killer.

Rizzo traded Turner because it made the most sense--his value in a trade is maximized right now and it's unclear whether or not he was going to sign here, and tying that much money up into Turner, with . Whether it works out entirely depends on Gray and Ruiz, and probably Carrillo all hitting their potential. It's far from a sure thing. Gray has looked fantastic so far, Ruiz is crushing it at AAA this year (.299/.368/.611 with .979 OPS), and has excellent bat-to-ball skills with average power, right now. He has a 9.7% walk rate, and an 11.7% K rate--that's very impressive.

The worst thing we could have done is hem and haw about what we are or what direction we are heading--Rizzo made the right decision to go all in on the reset, or whatever you want to call it. I hate that we had to trade Max and Trea and everyone else, but it's what had to be done--we weren't competitive with them on the roster, better to maximize the return now for the future.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1