Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

1 hour ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Yeah I’m fine with that approach. I just don’t want us try to turn a 50 win team into a 100 win team by going on a spending spree. 

I look at the rebuild like this in regards to 2022:  Give Keiboom and Garcia a full year audition.  Sink or swim with Keiboom.  No need to go outside the system for any catcher.  Bell and Soto for 1st and RF.  I wouldn’t move Bell unless it was an intense overpay.  I’d run Robles back out there in CF.  Would Soto, Robles, Stevenson, and maybe Thomas be enough for the primary OF innings?  

Big hole at SS.  Story, Seager, Correa, and Baez are all FAs.  NYM aren’t in the market.  Neither is SD and BOS.  Are their enough teams out there to give out four premium contracts?  Monitor it and pounce if a deal is there.

Starters: Corbin, Gray, Fedde, Ross, Strasburg/Cavalli/Espino.

Like I mentioned earlier, look into a FA inning eater at 1-2/10-20M.

Spend a little money on bullpen guys—guys who may not be offered arbitration and become available.  I don’t think they have enough arms in the system to get through the season.

Even without a SS this team could be a 75-85 win team.  This approach gives guys an opportunity who need it.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The direction of the entire rebuild plan hinges on Soto.  If Soto leaves in 3 years, there really isn't enough time to build a legitimate contender in that window without backing up the truck.  You would have to have almost every prospect among Garcia, Keiboom, Ruiz, Gray, Cavalli, Rutledge pan out in that time.  You'd also need to get something meaningful out of Robles' bat, Corbin and Stras.  Chances of the stars aligning like that is simply not that good.

In the short term, this team likely goes where Stras and Corbin goes.  Unless Stras comes back from what has been a career ender for many resembling something akin to his former self and Corbin rediscovers his form, they have nearly 30% of the cap tied up in two pitchers who's not giving you much.  That can only be overcome with eating the cost and paying someone else or multiple prospect arms getting ready in a hurry.  Both scenarios are longshots.

I would think Rizzo’s plan is definitely to lock up Soto long term & he knows it is going to be crazy money but worth keeping him in Washington.  Cade Cavalli is closer than folks realize.  It’s great to have Josiah Gray & Cavalli moving forward.  That excites me. Carter Kieboom is going to get an opportunity to take the 3B job during this rebuild.  Hopefully he takes the reigns.  I don’t think Rizzo makes a splash signing for middle of the infield help.  He has Brady House, Yasel Antuna & Armando Cruz in the pipeline.  Luis Garcia is there as well to hopefully blossom.  Now that we have Keibert Ruiz in AAA we presumably have out Catcher of the future and for so long that was a weak spot organizationally speaking.  That’s exciting.  Rizzo is a wizard so I know moves will be made and some money spent to improve the ball club but I think a year or two away from a move that has us like oh **** like signing Max originally 🤞🏻 

Edited by -JB-
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

It might seem crazy, but signing Soto to a monster “halo” contract will help us draw FA bats.

Keep stacking arms, sign an ace, laugh at the Mets…and start a new decade of dominance in 2023.  The East is trash.

And if Stras comes back…good heavens.

I agree and I also think that signing Soto to a monster deal is satisfying because you can never feel like you’ve wasted any $ because he already helped win us a ring!  (Ala Strasburg) Ha

Edited by -JB-
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Death by paper cuts. Think Soler's single in the first is the only hard hit ball all night.

Bring us that top-5 pick! Only a game out of the 6th pick. I think we can catch Minnesota. Catching Pittsburg would take some 2008, "Seattle sweeping Oakland for no good reason" luck.
image.png.8c393f21f88e02a9d2bf3e06c74665ac.png

15 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Top 3 might be in play for us if Schwarber hadn’t singlehandedly got us back into the playoff conversation for like 2 days or whatever. 

Since then? 9-23. That's a 45-win pace. Albeit, that's still better than the 40-win 162 Mets.