Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

22 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Top 10 draft pick

Right now we’re 9th with 49 wins. Here’s the order: 

Nats - 49

Rockies- 48

Marlins- 47

Royals- 46

Twins- 45

Pirates- 41

Rangers- 39

Os- 38

Dbacks- 34

I figure the Nats are just about the worst team in baseball right now, so we should play the rest of the year at a pace similar to what the Dbacks and Os have put up so far. That *might* be enough for us to crack the top 5, but I doubt we can get any higher than that. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Right now we’re 9th with 49 wins. Here’s the order: 

Nats - 49

Rockies- 48

Marlins- 47

Royals- 46

Twins- 45

Pirates- 41

Rangers- 39

Os- 38

Dbacks- 34

I figure the Nats are just about the worst team in baseball right now, so we should play the rest of the year at a pace similar to what the Dbacks and Os have put up so far. That *might* be enough for us to crack the top 5, but I doubt we can get any higher than that. 

Andruw Jones son is in the 2022 draft class and I think we can snag him if we secure a top 5 pick!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think we'll contend again in 2023. Next year will be a fringe .500 type season.

If we are to do this rebuild right, we’ll be one of the worst teams in baseball next year. Getting to a .500 team would require some significant free agent signings, and it’s too early in this process for us to do that. 

41 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

If we are to do this rebuild right, we’ll be one of the worst teams in baseball next year. Getting to a .500 team would require some significant free agent signings, and it’s too early in this process for us to do that. 

I’m mixed on this.  They traded away about 43M in non-Scherzer yearly contracts last week.  They should have room to get guys.  

There are four outstanding SS on the market this winter.  Lots of ifs, but if they could grab Seager and Corbin returns to his 2019 form, and Garcia/Keiboom make a step, .500 is not out of the picture.   Seager is also young enough to be a key piece when they are back to contending.  And they aren’t really sacrificing future resources in the process.  In baseball, I don’t think a Houston type breakdown of 3 100+ loss seasons is the only path to rebuild.  The problem is when you sign overpriced mediocre FAs that block prospects and trade away prospects to stay mediocre.

45 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I’m mixed on this.  They traded away about 43M in non-Scherzer yearly contracts last week.  They should have room to get guys.  

We’re also still paying Scherzer, Strasburg, and Corbin at least $73m next year. We’re not going to have nearly the same ability to stockpile resources ahead of another big run as say the Phillies did before they went on their recent spending spree. 

3 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

We’re also still paying Scherzer, Strasburg, and Corbin at least $73m next year. We’re not going to have nearly the same ability to stockpile resources ahead of another big run as say the Phillies did before they went on their recent spending spree. 

What's really funny is the Phillies still haven't even posted a winning season since 2011, despite spending 195m this year. There are a couple of things that I am ok with spending some this winter, especially on shortstop and maybe LF. One--the compensation rules have changed since we last sucked--we only lose a 2nd round pick for signing a top free agent, since we did not pass the lux tax. If we go after Corey Seager, for instance. Also, we have some talent already in house--completely different from 2007--not including Juan Soto.

• Like 2

If they go full on rebuild, they should play a bunch of kids and Ryan Zimmerman, wear the jerseys from 2005, and brand it the Inaugural Season 2.0.  They could play Nickelback and Black Eyed Peas between innings.  They could throw a big ass tarp over the parking lot in left to make it look like the DC skyline from 2005.  

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

If they go full on rebuild, they should play a bunch of kids and Ryan Zimmerman, wear the jerseys from 2005, and brand it the Inaugural Season 2.0.  They could play Nickelback and Black Eyed Peas between innings.  They could throw a big ass tarp over the parking lot in left to make it look like the DC skyline from 2005.  

It's not a rebuild until they wear these

A look back at when the Washington Nationals wore the infamous Natinals  jerseys - Federal Baseball

• Like 1

The toughest part about trying to be competitive in 2022 is the rotation. Rizzo has always built the team around a solid rotation, but there’s some huge question marks. The biggest is whether Strasburg pitches next year, and if he does, how effective is he? The answer to that question dictates everything else going forward. I don’t think we’ll have an answer in the offseason. Also Cavalli is probably more likely a 2023 addition to our rotation than 2022. Let him season another year in the minors, maybe call him up in Sept next year. A year of patience will go a long way for us IMO. Load up for another window starting in 2023. 

10 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

It's not a rebuild until they wear these

That was 2007, but yes, they should wear those again.  

No bull****, I am about to start a petition on Change.org and suggest the Nats have an Inaugural Season redo.  :ols:

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, SAli457180 said:

Here's hoping it's that quick, but they've got a lot of holes to fill

Don't see why it wouldn't be that quick. Thanks to the trades, a lot of our prospects are now pretty much MLB ready next year. We can figure out the holes those prospects aren't filling by the end of the season, and then get aggressive with free agents again. Rizzo won't wait long to start spending money again

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

The toughest part about trying to be competitive in 2022 is the rotation. Rizzo has always built the team around a solid rotation, but there’s some huge question marks. The biggest is whether Strasburg pitches next year, and if he does, how effective is he? The answer to that question dictates everything else going forward. I don’t think we’ll have an answer in the offseason. Also Cavalli is probably more likely a 2023 addition to our rotation than 2022. Let him season another year in the minors, maybe call him up in Sept next year. A year of patience will go a long way for us IMO. Load up for another window starting in 2023. 

This is why I think they will and should spend a little this offseason.  

I would not expect Strasburg to come back and be Strasburg.  Not too many success stories from that injury.  

I’d spend money on an innings eater on a 1-2 year deal.  Not sure who that is at this point. Then you have Corbin, Ross, Gray, Fedde, FA as your rotation with some contributions from Strasburg and Cavalli and maybe Rutledge.  Not a rotation that we are used to, but far from a 100 loss rotation, imo, especially if Corbin can find his pre 2020 form.  I’d also put some money into stopgaps in the bullpen.  Guys that can be traded in July if things are falling apart.  

• Like 1

Just now, Ball Security said:

This is why I think they will and should spend a little this offseason.  

I would not expect Strasburg to come back and be Strasburg.  Not too many success stories from that injury.  

I’d spend money on an innings eater on a 1-2 year deal.  Not sure who that is at this point. Then you have Corbin, Ross, Gray, Fedde, FA as your rotation with some contributions from Strasburg and Cavalli and maybe Rutledge.  Not a rotation that we are used to, but far from a 100 loss rotation, imo, especially if Corbin can find his pre 2020 form.  I’d also put some money into stopgaps in the bullpen.  Guys that can be traded in July if things are falling apart.  

Yeah I’m fine with that approach. I just don’t want us try to turn a 50 win team into a 100 win team by going on a spending spree. 

1 hour ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Yeah I’m fine with that approach. I just don’t want us try to turn a 50 win team into a 100 win team by going on a spending spree. 

50 to 80, yeah I get it.  100?  That's a different story (but it will take an insane amount, so not happening anyway).