Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

Tonight is as close to a must-win game as it gets without being an actual elimination game.  It really looks like they need to win both Strasburg outings, plus one of the games at home (assuming Stras pitches tonight and lines up for Game 5).  

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

I see more people on Twitter complaining about Strickland and Rodney than I do 2 hits.

It is completely impossible to win a game without scoring a run--their performance, while terrible, didn't matter.

Right.  The winning run was literally scored in the first inning.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Tonight is as close to a must-win game as it gets without being an actual elimination game.  It really looks like they need to win both Strasburg outings, plus one of the games at home (assuming Stras pitches tonight and lines up for Game 5).  

Right.  The winning run was literally scored in the first inning.  

And literally walked in--4 BBs in the inning. Which would hvae been 2 Ks if Corbin had Beuhler's zone.

Disagree with you guys... I don't think you can just ignore bullpen usage just because we ended up scoring zero runs. When Rainey and Rodney were brought in we were only down 2-0. It was a tight ballgame. Doolittle hasn't pitched in a week (though he did aggressively warm up for the 9th in the WC game) and at most he'd be asked to pitch back to back days. Definitely worth bringing him in there to face their lefties. 

The 8th and 9th innings don't necessarily play out the same way if we're only down 2. I mean they *probably* do, but there is no guarantee. And in a 5 game series you have to go all out to give yourself the best chance of winning when a game is anywhere near within reach. 

25 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Gotta shake up the lineup, obviously.

Zimm at 1B

Dozier at 2B

Parra in RF 

Suzuki at C

Robles in the 2 hole

**** it.

Very good idea to get Parra and Zimm into the game tonight--both have hit Kershaw well.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Very good idea to get Parra and Zimm into the game tonight--both have hit Kershaw well.

Interesting on Parra. Figured the lefty/lefty matchup would be bad for him, which had me semi-tempted to start MAT aka Playoff BDE Extraordinaire. 

37 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Interesting on Parra. Figured the lefty/lefty matchup would be bad for him, which had me semi-tempted to start MAT aka Playoff BDE Extraordinaire. 

I am not sure doing wholesale changes would help--it might do more damage. I'd sit Eaton and Kendrick tonight--they'd be fantastic PH options.

2 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Disagree with you guys... I don't think you can just ignore bullpen usage just because we ended up scoring zero runs. When Rainey and Rodney were brought in we were only down 2-0. It was a tight ballgame. Doolittle hasn't pitched in a week (though he did aggressively warm up for the 9th in the WC game) and at most he'd be asked to pitch back to back days. Definitely worth bringing him in there to face their lefties. 

The 8th and 9th innings don't necessarily play out the same way if we're only down 2. I mean they *probably* do, but there is no guarantee. And in a 5 game series you have to go all out to give yourself the best chance of winning when a game is anywhere near within reach. 

Agreed. Its playoff baseball. Everything must be examined with equal scrutiny.

53 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Pretty sure I will be filling my 32 oz souvenir cup with Max Stras and Corbin on it, to the brim, with bourbon tonight.

But Tony is gonna be so lonely 😢

If only you knew someone who could take on the monumental task of taking care of the other cup.

If. Only.

• Haha 1

Watching the Tampa - HOU game. It's crazy how aggressive HOU is with the bat. Hope that's what we start to do. Let's reset our game plan on offense. 

Rex Grossman style. **** it, I'm goin deep. Get some good hacks in! Enough of this patient ****.