Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump Border Wall Post-Shutdown Discussion (Wall-Fight)

Fergasun

Looking at some of the news this AM that talks have stalled over "border barriers" and ICE detention bed caps over interior enforcement.

Seems to me that Dems have compromised a bit on barrier funding and want something in return regarding ICE being able to detain as many folks as possible.

On 2/9/2019 at 1:28 AM, visionary said:

The Post is reporting that talks have broken down.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/border-talks-at-impasse-as-shutdown-looms-friday-officials-say/2019/02/10/aa8ef08c-2d36-11e9-813a-0ab2f17e305b_story.html?utm_term=.c2e7c66ddae1

Bipartisan talks aimed at resolving the border wall dispute and averting a government shutdown Friday have broken down and are at an impasse, lawmakers and others familiar with the situation said Sunday.

“I think the talks are stalled right now,” Senate Appropriations Committee Chairman Richard C. Shelby (Ala.), the lead Republican negotiator, said on Fox News Sunday. “I’m not confident we’re going to get there.”

Lawmakers had been trading offers, trying to finalize how much money could go to barriers along the border as President Trump demands money for his wall. Trump has called for $5.7 billion, but lawmakers were trying to find a number between $1.3 billion and $2 billion that would be acceptable to both sides.

At the same time, Democrats were trying to limit the number of detention beds that the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency would have access to. Democrats want to cap detention beds as a way to limit aggressive detention activities by ICE.

I guess Republicans have forgotten how badly they lost round 1. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The Post is reporting that talks have broken down.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/border-talks-at-impasse-as-shutdown-looms-friday-officials-say/2019/02/10/aa8ef08c-2d36-11e9-813a-0ab2f17e305b_story.html?utm_term=.c2e7c66ddae1

I guess Republicans have forgotten how badly they lost round 1. 

Just before the government shutdown ended, this happened:

FAA halted flights to LaGuardia Airport due to air traffic control staffing issues

The next day Trump signed the bill reopening the government.  If air traffic comes to a halt at major airports, that becomes a huge deal, which is why I'm hearing that if another shutdown happens, air traffic controllers are planning to be in short supply again, but sooner this time to stave off an extended shutdown.  We'll see.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, China said:

Just before the government shutdown ended, this happened:

FAA halted flights to LaGuardia Airport due to air traffic control staffing issues

The next day Trump signed the bill reopening the government.  If air traffic comes to a halt at major airports, that becomes a huge deal, which is why I'm hearing that if another shutdown happens, air traffic controllers are planning to be in short supply again, but sooner this time to stave off an extended shutdown.  We'll see.

Yep.  I wrote a very long post in this thread about how NATCA put that together.  

• Like 2

I would think refusing additional beds in the detention centers would make things worse for illegal immigrants, not better.

I guess a lot of dems voting against more beds want faster processing of illegal immigrants, but assuming we do not have the money or people to process the massive amount of illegal immigrants wouldn’t more beds be better that the alternative?

50 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I would think refusing additional beds in the detention centers would make things worse for illegal immigrants, not better.

I guess a lot of dems voting against more beds want faster processing of illegal immigrants, but assuming we do not have the money or people to process the massive amount of illegal immigrants wouldn’t more beds be better that the alternative?

It means that ICE has to prioritize who they want to detain.  Do you want to detain the violent criminal illegal immigrant or do you want to detain the non-violent illegal immigrant.  Cases where non-violent criminal illegal immigrants are getting detained by ICE (who have been here for over 10 years) have been a little upsetting to US citizens. 

Just like every other President has had to do. 

It's legislative compromise.  I'm fairly certain House Dem's are upset with the money being put forward on a border barrier, so they need something they can point to as a "win".  You don't get everything you want.... I don't think House Dem's want anything other then "no shutdown" -- and its clear which side gets blamed for a shutdown. 

Edited by Fergasun

3 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

That's why the dems are pushing for more processing resources in addition to fewer beds.  They are, in effect, trying to force the entire process to be more efficient.  

11 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

That's why the dems are pushing for more processing resources in addition to fewer beds.  They are, in effect, trying to force the entire process to be more efficient.  

For some reason I was only thinking about the costs of additional processing resources and not the costs of bording... which got to be way higher. 

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

6 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Trump has already increased processing resources at the Mexican border.

I think the returning them to Mexico to await hearings policy is a winner as well.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/the_americas/mexico-rebukes--but-accepts--unilateral-us-move-to-return-asylum-seekers-pending-hearing/2019/01/25/52062470-202b-11e9-a759-2b8541bbbe20_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.cef69bb8ec85

So, instead of asserting the fictional claim that the President can spend money on things congress hasn't authorized in an emergency, they're just going to assert the fictional claim that the President can spend money on things congress hasn't authorized, all the time

Edited by Larry
  • Like 1