Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trump Border Wall Post-Shutdown Discussion (Wall-Fight)

Fergasun

4 minutes ago, RedskinsFan44 said:

The deal between McConnell and Shumer is to let both advance.

3 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

It's a numbers thing.  McConnell expects Trump's proposal to get more votes than the Dem one, which is something he can sort of control, at least a little.  Trump's proposal gets 53, House one gets between 47 and 52.

Then he can run to the press and spin.  "Our proposal is supported by the President and more Senators, therefore it should pass blah blah blah blah blah."

The end goal is now and has been for a couple weeks a hope, a cynical cynical hope, that the public will be too stupid to see the absolute con job the GOP and Trump are running.

So if they both leave the Senate, one goes to the House and dies and one goes to Trump and dies, then everyone runs to the spin room?  

I seriously doubt that will move the needle of public opinion.  I guess it gives McConnell political cover for hiding, for whatever that is worth.  

• Like 1

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2018/politics/federal-workers/?utm_term=.962242c8eb85

https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/data-analysis-documentation/federal-employment-reports/reports-publications/federal-civilian-employment/

Texas has more workers/contractors than VA it seems but don't expect any Senator from there to care.

7 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Why would the tax cut pass at 51, but a continuing resolution need 60?

60 is just needed to end debate and bring it to the floor. If that happens than 51 would be what you needed. The tax bill was done using budget reconciliation. That prohibits filibustering so only 51 was needed. That's how they tried to pass Trumpcare too.

Edited by Cooked Crack

Reconciliation can only be used under certain procedures, but mainly when one party has both Houses and they want to push items through the Senate.

It is pretty sad and pathetic that the Senate hands are tied by partisan, undemocratic special interests and no one cares. That the Senate is so tied to the President on this is a total breach of seperstion of powers. They need to admit that the shutdown is the realnl crisis and stop acting like the border is... since... no one talked about the border crisis but Trump.

Sigh...

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

In 2008 when there was a major banking crisis, Congress and the WH came up with a bailout in less than 2 weeks.

Now, when 800k Federal Employees plus other contractors, etc. have been shut out of pay for a month, GOP really doesn't care.

The Trump effect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

In 2008 when there was a major banking crisis, Congress and the WH came up with a bailout in less than 2 weeks.

Now, when 800k Federal Employees plus other contractors, etc. have been shut out of pay for a month, GOP really doesn't care.

The GOP's slogan for the last twenty years has been "Let them eat cake!" People are only just catching on now and far too many are still in denial that that is the case.

11 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

And many of the GOP who voted for the bailout subsequently lost primaries to nutjob tea partiers. The brutal lesson was being reasonable was unacceptable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

And many of the GOP who voted for the bailout subsequently lost primaries to nutjob tea partiers. The brutal lesson was being reasonable was unacceptable.

I still occasionally hear from people who are still mad at Obama for not letting Detroit go bankrupt. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

Good campaign slogan

"Being Reasonable is Acceptable"

can go with "Bring Back Common Sense" and "Any Functioning Adult 2020"

2 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Yeah, I've seen those. Totally on board with that slogan.

I had a 2018 one in my yard last cycle.  Would put one up NOW for 2020, except my HOA only allows political yard signs during certain periods.  :kickcan:

Edited by PleaseBlitz

11 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Shame all these people are going into the poor house cause of their own government. 

There is irony here on this comment that would be insensitive for me nosedive into on considering government policy for every American, not just their employees.

1 minute ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I had a 2018 one in my yard last cycle.  Would put one up NOW for 2020, except my HOA only allows political yard signs during certain periods.  :kickcan:

tempted to order a sheet of mini stickers with this slogan and just leave them wherever I think they'll be most appreciated. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

There is irony here on this comment that would be insensitive for me nosedive into on considering government policy for every American, not just their employees.

But then you'll think about it some more and realize that, by jerking around federal employees, the government is making it significantly harder to govern effectively for every American in the future because nobody that is capable and talented will subject themselves to working for the federal government.  

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

But then you'll think about it some more and realize that, by jerking around federal employees, the government is making it significantly harder to govern effectively for every American in the future because nobody that is capable and talented will subject themselves to working for the federal government.  

Bruh, I've given up on my dream on working for DHS until I can confirm we got adults running the government again, not just democrats, but actual adults.  This is why its so important to be having the convo about how to stop future shutdowns by automatically reverting to previous funding until a new one is agreed on, otherwise the braindrain will be real and we're going to feel it.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Sad 2

Yo this dude on MSNBC is going off on Stephen Miller and at some point said "Maybe he will one day have a relationship with a LIVE human woman" 

!!! Lol

18 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I dont think it's that insensitive at all honestly. I have been praying since the day of the election that somehow he would make things so bad we would rebound in a major way. 

And we will. But I dont think it will even be as good as it can be while we let our politicians make money. It cant be that way to fix this. And it will always be that way. 

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Yo this dude on MSNBC is going off on Stephen Miller and at some point said "Maybe he will one day have a relationship with a LIVE human woman" 

!!! Lol

That's funny, but that's not what I go to the news for : )

I dont think it's that insensitive at all honestly. I have been praying since the day of the election that somehow he would make things so bad we would rebound in a major way. 

And we will. But I dont think it will even be as good as it can be while we let our politicians make money. It cant be that way to fix this. And it will always be that way. 

Did you see the Campaign Finance Reform bill the House passed as soon as they got in that Senate wouldn't even look at?  I almost got emotional knowing that will be inevitable once Dems get back both chambers and he presidency, I think they get at least that, I just don't know when they will get the numbers they need to take down Citizens United:

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/11/30/18118158/house-democrats-anti-corruption-bill-hr-1-pelosi

Voting rights

•  
  • Creating new national automatic voter registration that asks voters to opt out, rather than opt in, ensuring more people will be signed up to vote. Early voting, same-day voter registration, and online voter registration would also be promoted.
  •  
  • Making Election Day a holiday for federal employees and encouraging private sector businesses to do the same, requiring poll workers to provide a week’s notice if poll sites are changed, and making colleges and universities a voter registration agency (in addition to the DMV, etc), among other updates.
  •  
  • Ending partisan gerrymandering in federal elections and prohibiting voter roll purging. The bill would stop the use of non-forwardable mail being used as a way to remove voters from rolls.
  •  
  • Beefing up elections security, including requiring the director of national intelligence to do regular checks on foreign threats.
  •  
  • Recruiting and training more poll workers ahead of the 2020 election to cut down on long lines at the polls.

Edited by Renegade7