Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Redskins vs. Giants II

KDawg

11 hours ago, Redskinscub said:

Not sure why Bruce gets all of this hate, truth be known he has very little power in picking players. I like having the great George Allen's son in the organization, and until papers are produced that show him to be adopted, I am sticking with him. Just let him do what he does best which is the business side of things. We do need a sober version of Scott Mc in the organization. 

Many things have contributed to the Skins demise as I see it.   

The biggest thing is that there are just too many needs to fill via the draft and free agency. Like it or not, we are in a rebuilding mode. Defense should be our strength but chemistry seems to have gone away with the signing of Dix

RGIII set us back years, and because of the way his situation was handled, Kurt did not want to be here. 

Alex Smith seemed like a good compromise to me, but now his signing will set us back years.  

We are letting players go without handing them a blank check like we have done before. I like that. 

Drafts have been better than average, but no impact players. We need someone that teams fear on each side of the ball. Sua could have been that guy on defense, he just did not want to be here as well.

Jay is a terrible coach. I think he woke up one day and said, I want to be a head coach in the NFL. The skins wanted brother Jon, so Jay was a compromise.  He should go find something he can do well, like participate in a Dan Aykroyd sound a like contest. We had McVay and I am sure they recognized what they had, but with Jay still being fairly new, no way we could have kept him happy here. 

Injuries have hurt, some of that is just bad luck, some of it is gambling on players with an injury history. 

My opinion is to continue to build thru the draft, get a real football guy to lead the organization, and get a real coach to coach the team. It will take years to turn this around. 

Um, Bruce, is this you?

I say this because of your logic on Bruce Allen. Obviously you have no idea of his history of ruining NFL teams and being shoved out the door by said teams; well, except the Redskins, but we are HOPING this happens soon.

You should go do a little looking into Bruce's shenanigans in Oakland and especially Tampa Bay. His hirings of staff/coaches are based off his phone's friends list.

But you should need look no further than the whole Griffin issue, then the Kurt issue, then the Foster issue, then the Scotty Mac issue, then the Alex Smith contract. After you do this, come back with a straight face and tell us all you still support Allen; if you do then you are either as blind and foolish as Allen or you ARE Allen....

I feel like this game was a blessing in disgues.  First, we shown to Bruce and Dan that we need a major retooling.  We need more depth, more young talent, etc.  Secondly, assuming Alex Smith isn't coming back, did we find something with Josh Johnson?  I'm not saying he is the answer, but he could be a good one year stop gap while we groom a young QB that we draft.

16 hours ago, Redskinscub said:

Not sure why Bruce gets all of this hate, truth be known he has very little power in picking players.

Bruce has very little power in picking players.

Jay has very little power in picking players.

Doug has very little power in picking players.

Who is picking players then????

You should check your facts mate, really :)

12 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I'm still not at all sure what this "Apocalypse scenario" you're afraid of is.

Long story short, in the Apocalypse Cap Scenario, we'd have a Dead Cap hit of over $52 million.  Keep in mind the damage that the $36 million cap penalty did to our roster in 2013.

6 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Long story short, in the Apocalypse Cap Scenario, we'd have a Dead Cap hit of over $52 million.  Keep in mind the damage that the $36 million cap penalty did to our roster in 2013.

But the only way that happens is if we decide to cut him with two guaranteed years left on his deal. And, even as someone who wanted no part of Alex Smith, I would find that an idiotic thing to do. It's not really an "Apocalypse" scenario, it's a "suicide" scenario. 

BTW, if we did cut him next year, the net cap hit would be about 32 mil. He's already on the books for 20+ mil so the net hit isn't as dramatic. And there are now reports that we have a $12 mil insurance policy that would offset that amount of dead cap. So maybe a net hit of around 20 mil.

On 12/10/2018 at 10:40 AM, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Firing coaches at this point is pointless.

Firing Bruce at this point is largely pointless, but pointless in a fun, galvanizing way.

Not to make this political, but is there a greater argument about how ridiculous the idea of a meritocracy is in America than Bruce Allen. This guy has been granted a 40 year NFL career because of his name, and I'm not sure you can name one success.

Image result for nodding head in approval gif

It is quite clear that the team is broken. whether its players, coaches, front office, ownership. Its been the same recorded loop for years. There is NO WAY a professional NFL team should ever lay a stinker like that. No OBJ? either. No one can catch, block, pass rush, pass defend etc.  Quickly becoming the worst team we've had in years. I give up.

3 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

But the only way that happens is if we decide to cut him with two guaranteed years left on his deal. And, even as someone who wanted no part of Alex Smith, I would find that an idiotic thing to do. It's not really an "Apocalypse" scenario, it's a "suicide" scenario. 

BTW, if we did cut him next year, the net cap hit would be about 32 mil. He's already on the books for 20+ mil so the net hit isn't as dramatic. And there are now reports that we have a $12 mil insurance policy that would offset that amount of dead cap. So maybe a net hit of around 20 mil.

If he retires his Cap Hit accelerates.  It's the same thing as being cut.

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

If he retires his Cap Hit accelerates.  It's the same thing as being cut.

No, if he retires he forfeits the next two years' salaries' and the Redskins can go after the prorated portion of his signing bonus. Even if he tried to claim it was because of injuries, he needs to keep trying to come back to get that money. He can't retire in early 2019 and say pay me for 2020 because I'll be too hurt to play a year and a half from now.

He ain't retiring. And if he did, it would be nothing but a windfall for us.

We just keep doing this same cycle over and over...we get a coach it’s a shiny new penny it’s ok for a a few years, we might even get a random playoff appearance, but then the wheels fall off, and it starts all over again. 

I dont expect any different this go around...for awhile I boycotted FEDEX I didn’t got to a game for 5 years...I only just last year went to a game, and this year went to another one....2 games in 7 years at FEDEX after several seasons of going to 5+...well the boycott is back on Dan Snyder ain’t getting anymore of my money...Inturned down free tickets to the giants game and I’m glad I did. 

I’ll always be a fan too invested at this point to quit, but the only voice I have is my wallet and it’s not getting spent on the Skins. 

11 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

No, if he retires he forfeits the next two years' salaries' and the Redskins can go after the prorated portion of his signing bonus. Even if he tried to claim it was because of injuries, he needs to keep trying to come back to get that money. He can't retire in early 2019 and say pay me for 2020 because I'll be too hurt to play a year and a half from now.

He ain't retiring. And if he did, it would be nothing but a windfall for us.

I don't believe they can go after the prorated portion of the signing bonus.  That money has already been paid out and the NFL needs to account for it against the salary cap.

The rest of what you say makes sense and sounds reasonable.  So even if I'm not wrong, he'd still be trying to come back to get the guaranteed salaries anyways so a retirement is highly unlikely.

54 minutes ago, Hdf561 said:

We just keep doing this same cycle over and over...we get a coach it’s a shiny new penny it’s ok for a a few years, we might even get a random playoff appearance, but then the wheels fall off, and it starts all over again. 

In our defense, so does every other team not in the the Pitt, NE, GB (not any more), Seattle, realm. Part of me wants us to just establish continuity and stay with a decent (good but not great) coach like Gruden for a decade or so. He's way better than Norv Turner in my mind, but maybe he's the same guy. He is certainly having the same struggles in terms of first half successes, inability to develop a defense, developing decent QBs but either having them be just mediocre players or having them leave. But even Norv had success here and I always felt that if he could just have hired a good DC who could strategize and put together a game plan he would have won here. I say the same thing about Gruden. And I think Manusky could be that guy because those first 10 games or so was the most excited I've been about this defense since GW maybe before that. 

5 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I don't believe they can go after the prorated portion of the signing bonus.  That money has already been paid out and the NFL needs to account for it against the salary cap.

The rest of what you say makes sense and sounds reasonable.  So even if I'm not wrong, he'd still be trying to come back to get the guaranteed salaries anyways so a retirement is highly unlikely.

If a player retires in the middle of a contract, then yes, teams can go after a prorated portion of the signing bonus. Those situations usually end in arbitration.

On 12/11/2018 at 7:29 AM, skins island connection said:

Um, Bruce, is this you?

I say this because of your logic on Bruce Allen. Obviously you have no idea of his history of ruining NFL teams and being shoved out the door by said teams; well, except the Redskins, but we are HOPING this happens soon.

You should go do a little looking into Bruce's shenanigans in Oakland and especially Tampa Bay. His hirings of staff/coaches are based off his phone's friends list.

But you should need look no further than the whole Griffin issue, then the Kurt issue, then the Foster issue, then the Scotty Mac issue, then the Alex Smith contract. After you do this, come back with a straight face and tell us all you still support Allen; if you do then you are either as blind and foolish as Allen or you ARE Allen....

Again, put Bruce at what he does best, salary cap, new stadium, ect. But keep him in the franchise. The decisions you are criticizing were not Bruce's.  RGIII and out was a gamble and flamed out. Scot (who picked him up after he left the Skins?) Kurt did not want to be here. How is he doing now? Alex Smith was a gamble that did not work out, not a lot of options out there at QB. 

All my opinions. Peace.

6 hours ago, Redskinscub said:

Again, put Bruce at what he does best, salary cap, new stadium, ect. But keep him in the franchise. The decisions you are criticizing were not Bruce's.  RGIII and out was a gamble and flamed out. Scot (who picked him up after he left the Skins?) Kurt did not want to be here. How is he doing now? Alex Smith was a gamble that did not work out, not a lot of options out there at QB. 

All my opinions. Peace.

The thing is, it's hard to imagine Bruce or anyone for that matter manage the salary cap without having some influence or say on the personnel to which our salary cap is tied. It's like putting someone in charge of your personal budget without giving them privileged access or control of your expense items.

Bruce will want some of that control, because in his mind it's the only way to do his core job effectively. And with his personal ties to this organization and the region, he'll understandably not want to be relegated exclusively to unglamorous number-crunching duties.

With that said, I simply want him gone because he's assumed a leadership role with the Redskins and there isn't a single leader worth a damn in that front office. Accountability needs to stressed and people need to realize the present order of things is unacceptable.

Archived