Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I’m Happy the Redskins Lost

Springfield

Well OP, I was hoping they would win and disappointed that they didn't. But I understand your reasoning. But Snyder is not selling the team therefore do not expect any changes anytime soon.

But since they are all but out(I know mathematically they're still in it), this makes it easier to attend the Christmas Parties planned for the next few Sundays. 

12 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I'm convinced this team is cursed.  It's fun to pick on Snyder, but let's be real here, they've sucked ever since they built Fed Ex and they've sucked since before Snyder bought the team.

You can zoom this out even further...

I don't believe they are cursed, but they have more or less sucked since the 1940s with the exception of a 20-year run from the early-1970s through the early-1990s. Many of us think of them as a "proud" franchise or "one of the top organizations" in the NFL. We like to believe that this is an extended exception...but this is the RULE. 

Joe Gibbs is 60 games over .500. George Allen is 37 games over .500. The organization in its history is 11 games over .500. That means that the non-Gibbs and non-Allen years add up to a team that has been 86 games UNDER .500. 

Rather than this being an extended tough stretch for an otherwise solid franchise, the Allen-Pardee-Gibbs years (1971-1992) were an oasis in a desert of 80+ years of pretty bad football. 

(Shrugs Shoulders) I got nothing... If you want a couple more wins, awesome... if you want a a better draft pick, I don't think less of your fandom. For the 1st time ever, I'm questioning my own fandom. Yesterday's game made me do something all the classic Prime Time Beatdowns of Skins History couldn't do...

After the 2nd Interception, I turned the game off and found something else to do. Sure... I kept checking the score. When it was 40-0 I reassured myself that I made the right decision.

Turning the game off was not a  decision made lightly. I pay 300 dollars a year for the guarantee of always having access to the Redskins game because I live in the West, and turning off the game and not switching to another one is basically burning money, but I did it... and I don't regret it. It sure put me in a better mood for the rest of the day and believe me, my wife noticed.

I don't know what I'll do next year but at this point, I'm 100% on not renewing Sunday Ticket next year. Maybe I'll just get Red Zone, Maybe I'll just start the season back at the sports bars and if we drop 4 I just quit watching until the win again and become a dreaded fair weather fan.

Or maybe I just realize that I'm heading for 45 years old and that the Redskins haven't won a SB since I was 18 and in the 27 YEARS  between they've won 3 Division Round Playoff games....and the rest of those years have just been 4 hour increments of wasting my time and making me feel bad.

If the Redskins were a person... even a family member who continued to let you down, cost you money, lie to you and devastate you emotionally, would you wait 27 years to wash your hands of them and not have them in your life?

I don't want to hear about how the 20-year stretch from 1971-1992 was an oasis, as if that's an excuse for the piss poor performance of this organization for the past 25 seasons, 20 of which have been under Snyder. I was born in 1967, so what happened before George Allen is pretty much irrelevant to me. Also, my understanding is that pro football was not nearly as popular before, say, the 1970s as it is now.

And someone in another thread mentioned the 49ers as a team which had a nice 20-year run from 1981 thru the end of the 1990s but, like us, has had a largely miserable past two decades. But at least they had that three-year stretch under Harbaugh where they made it to three straight NFCCG and one SB.  We've had garbage.

1 minute ago, hail2skins said:

I don't want to hear about how the 20-year stretch from 1971-1992 was an oasis, as if that's an excuse for the piss poor performance of this organization for the past 25 seasons, 20 of which have been under Snyder. I was born in 1967, so what happened before George Allen is pretty much irrelevant to me. Also, my understanding is that pro football was not nearly as popular before, say, the 1970s as it is now.

And someone in another thread mentioned the 49ers as a team which had a nice 20-year run from 1981 thru the end of the 1990s but, like us, has had a largely miserable past two decades. But at least they had that three-year stretch under Harbaugh where they made it to three straight NFCCG and one SB.  We've had garbage.

I wasn't using it as an excuse. I was simply stating that what we are going through right now is much more typical over the history of the team than 11-5 and a playoff trip. It doesn't excuse Snyder or anyone, it's just a fact. Outside of two great coaches and an innovative GM (Beathard) we haven't had any sustained success since the league had like 6 teams and was something out of the Leatherheads movie in the 1930s. 

The biggest change since Snyder took over (or more accurately, since Cooke passed away) is how we are viewed as a franchise and organization who operates wisely and in a classy way. We at least seemed to have that after Marshall passed away. 

11 minutes ago, hawgboy said:

Yesterday's game made me do something all the classic Prime Time Beatdowns of Skins History couldn't do...snip...I turned the game off and found something else to do. Sure... I kept checking the score. When it was 40-0 I reassured myself that I made the right decision.

Turning the game off was not a  decision made lightly. I pay 300 dollars a year for the guarantee of always having access to the Redskins game because I live in the West, and turning off the game and not switching to another one is basically burning money, but I did it... and I don't regret it. It sure put me in a better mood for the rest of the day and believe me, my wife noticed.

I don't know what I'll do next year but at this point, I'm 100% on not renewing Sunday Ticket next year.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to post. I've been plunking money down on NFL on DirecTV from the very beginning, but not next year. After football season is over, I am always surprised at how much more time I have on the weekends...It hurts my heart to see the stadium half-filled this year but I'm finally at the same level of frustration as the fans who buy tickets and don't show. After yesterday's pasting and the same broken record (unprepared players, poor coaching) I can't take it anymore.

1 hour ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I Yea when we were 5-2 I was telling people we were the worst 5-2 team in history.  Our wins were mostly ugly wins.  The Saints and Colts games were freaking embarrassing.  They looked like they just found out who they were playing that morning and didn't have time to put together and game plan.

I was screaming it too, but mine was at 6-3. People didn't want to listen for some reason but it was obvious even then that this team had major issues, now they have simply quit.

56 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I was screaming it too, but mine was at 6-3. People didn't want to listen for some reason but it was obvious even then that this team had major issues, now they have simply quit.

That's fine to say, but the Cowboys are currently winning the division with our ugly-ass formula from September and October. Yes, they have a star running back and more solid D, but it's the same type of wins we saw earlier in the year. 

6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

That's fine to say, but the Cowboys are currently winning the division with our ugly-ass formula from September and October. Yes, they have a star running back and more solid D, but it's the same type of wins we saw earlier in the year. 

Thats a glaring issue though.  Nobody really believes the Cowboys formula can lead to ultimate success AND they have a better RB, Oline and defense than we do.

10 hours ago, desertbeagle85 said:

I remember when a lot of people thought we had a good team because we had 6 wins. I for one said over and over again that the team was fools gold. Yet people argued wit me. Wonder where all those people are? Every win the Skins have had even when healthy were ugly.

I was there with you but you can only crap on 6-3 so much.  9-10 wins in a weak division this year seemed reasonably attainable at the time, even though it wouldn't mean we were really any good. Just like anyone can get a college degree in 2018,  anybody can be 6-3 at some point.

16 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Thats a glaring issue though.  Nobody really believes the Cowboys formula can lead to ultimate success AND they have a better RB, Oline and defense than we do.

I both agree and disagree...

Yes, we don't have their personnel to do what they are doing as well as they are. But it's a formula that we could be building on and then upgrading the talent level. 

I wouldn't write off their chances too quickly...we have seen just in the past month how physical and stout defenses are knocking the snot out of some of these presumed NFC favorites. What the Bears just did to LA and what the Cowboys did to NO a couple weeks ago should put the NFC on notice. The playoffs could be much less of a formality than many of us thought back in October. 

Every year a group of us (which keeps getting bigger and bigger by the year) loudly bash this team and every year, a group (which keeps getting smaller and smaller by the year) keep saying "it's only one quarter, it's only one game, it's only blah, blah blah". DUDES, do you not see the trash that is out on the field? This is why many of us are cynical of this team even at 6-3 or whatever the **** they were. They suck ass and it's never a legit 6-3 it's fools gold.

15 minutes ago, dyst said:

Every year a group of us (which keeps getting bigger and bigger by the year) loudly bash this team and every year, a group (which keeps getting smaller and smaller by the year) keep saying "it's only one quarter, it's only one game, it's only blah, blah blah". DUDES, do you not see the trash that is out on the field? This is why many of us are cynical of this team even at 6-3 or whatever the **** they were. They suck ass and it's never a legit 6-3 it's fools gold.

I think at 5-2 the hope was that the defense would be stout enough to support what was admittedly a limited offense even with the starters in. People were pointing to the Saints game as a warning sign, but was brushed off as "Brees does that to everyone, it was his record game, etc." The collapse really seemed to start in the Atlanta game, with the O-line injuries and Richardson going down. And Ryan lit us up. But then the mantra was "We don't play another good QB again this season." Then the Bucs housed us for 500 yards and somehow only scored three points, and since then every other team has as well. I really don't know how and why this D has fallen off a cliff.  Yes, the O not being as effective and with shorter drives would have some impact, but to this extent?

21 hours ago, Springfield said:

They lost, and lost bad.  It’s exactly what this team needs.  This team, of simple fortitude, cannot substain it’s loss of their QB, or it’s long time back up.  This team hires a laughing  stock QB and the whole team folds.

They deserved to lose.  They should all be humiliated and the head coach and GM shouldn’t represent our great franchise any longer.  It’s a shame that we are stuck with Snyder, who continually drags the Redskins name into the dregs of the NFL.

I hope they lose every game going forward and every game until Snyder learns that he’s not fit to drip his infidelity down to the rest of the team.  Best of luck in losing, Snyder.

G’night.

I'm really having a hard time enjoying our team losing.

As much as I'm not pleased with Bruce or Dan, or whoever else. I'm never pleased about losing.

And never will.

1 hour ago, hail2skins said:

1993 is the year in which the current system of free agency began and 1994 the salary cap started.  Prior to that, it was pretty easy to have relative continuity from one year to the next, and that was true whether you were good or bad.  Coaches had a lot bigger say in personnel and were ultimately responsible for finding and developing talent.

In the years after 1993, the FO became more involved in personnel because player decisions were also cap decisions.  Coaches build teams, GMs build rosters.  They need to work together.

If your criteria for a coach or a GM is going to the Super Bowl, you are going to diminish team building, which takes years, and favor roster building.  I just don't see any plan for the future with the Skins.  On offense,  it's Guice and Scherff, and Guice hasn't played a regular season down yet.  I can't count anyone else as a solid player for the future.  Trent has missed four or more games for the last three seasons.  I really admire Moses's willingness to play hurt, often when he's in obvious acute pain, but he's always playing hurt.  There's really nothing else to look forward to on offense.  It's horrible.  On defense, I have to assume that Norman is gone after this year, unless he's willing to renegotiate his contract, and I don't think his ego will allow it.  I'm hopeful for Payne and Allen, but as a whole we're in the in the middle of the league in run defense in a division that has two teams with young premiere running backs.  For the future, we need to be better than average.  But that would involve using picks for defense when we have so many holes to fill on offense.

Whoever takes over for Bruce, and Bruce is gone for sure, will be left with a mess.  And there aren't a lot of top people that like starting out with a mess. 

16 minutes ago, theTruthTeller said:

1993 is the year in which the current system of free agency began and 1994 the salary cap started.  Prior to that, it was pretty easy to have relative continuity from one year to the next, and that was true whether you were good or bad.  Coaches had a lot bigger say in personnel and were ultimately responsible for finding and developing talent.

Make no mistake, with FA, I had no illusions that we were ever going to see a period of success like we did with Gibbs 1.0.  What the Pats have been able to do over two decades, even with a HOF QB in TB #12, is amazing.

But I think overall, the Skins have like the 6th worst overall record in the league in the 20 years of Snyder. That is pretty bad.

22 minutes ago, Wildbunny said:

I'm really having a hard time enjoying our team losing.

As much as I'm not pleased with Bruce or Dan, or whoever else. I'm never pleased about it.

And never will.

I never enjoy seeing our team lose either, BUT, I have had enough of Gruden’s excuses.  He cannot even be honest, angry and admit that the coaches and team just flat out suck....and he won’t make any changes to fix it.  I’d love nothing more than our entire stadium without one single Redskin jersey at the last home game.  Not one Redskin fan.  Maybe Gruden could watch that tape.

4 hours ago, hawgboy said:

(Shrugs Shoulders) I got nothing... If you want a couple more wins, awesome... if you want a a better draft pick, I don't think less of your fandom. For the 1st time ever, I'm questioning my own fandom. Yesterday's game made me do something all the classic Prime Time Beatdowns of Skins History couldn't do...

After the 2nd Interception, I turned the game off and found something else to do. Sure... I kept checking the score. When it was 40-0 I reassured myself that I made the right decision.

I don't know what I'll do next year but at this point, I'm 100% on not renewing Sunday Ticket next year. Maybe I'll just get Red Zone, Maybe I'll just start the season back at the sports bars and if we drop 4 I just quit watching until the win again and become a dreaded fair weather fan.

Or maybe I just realize that I'm heading for 45 years old and that the Redskins haven't won a SB since I was 18 and in the 27 YEARS  between they've won 3 Division Round Playoff games....and the rest of those years have just been 4 hour increments of wasting my time and making me feel bad.

If the Redskins were a person... even a family member who continued to let you down, cost you money, lie to you and devastate you emotionally, would you wait 27 years to wash your hands of them and not have them in your life?

Bro, just stream the games on Reddit.  Totally free.  Stop paying Directv and the NFL for this watered down penalty ridden, kneel don't kneel, pick a side football.

I've turned the Redskins cardiac arrest bs off years ago.  Screw getting upset anymore at this organization.  If they win great, lose, who cares.  I'd rather hug my daughter, kiss my wife, or play ball with my boy.

Life's much better like that.  But definitley stop getting ripped off by Directv!

1 minute ago, TouchdownSkin said:

BUT, I have had enough of Gruden’s excuses.  He cannot even be honest, angry and admit that the coaches and team just flat out suck.

As someone that has primarily had Grudens back through everything, I do get this.  Just once I’d like for him to be more like his buddy Zimmer and show his anger, after losing, and be pointed in his criticism.  Every coach refers to needing to watch the tape, but yesterday’s tape should be thrown out.  You should be able to call it like it is, without mincing words, before even seeing that damn tape.

I will say that I did like his response about Sanchez.  Something told me Sanchez wasn’t really his first choice and that he let someone convince him that he was the best guy and severely regrets it.

It pains me to say but losing and losing ugly is the only thing that can possibly change management and players

Think about it - we win our last 3 games and we roll into 2019 with Josh Johnson and gruden - with Snyder thinking we're turning the corner 😂

I want blowout shutouts every single week

I want fans booing

I'm fed up of supporting a freaking car crash of a team. 40 zip down at half-time to one of the worst teams in the NFL. How do you even engineer that? Seriously.

I'm reduced to watching '91 highlights on YouTube with misty eyes to remind myself why I tune into this mess every week - it's like watching porn with the world's fattest ugliest women. Its just miserable. 

21 hours ago, hail2skins said:

But I think overall, the Skins have like the 6th worst overall record in the league in the 20 years of Snyder. That is pretty bad.

Steve Spurrier response: "Well, that means we don't have the worst record in the league. There are some that are worse than us. That's ... a positive way to look at it, I guess."

Archived