Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018-19 NCAA Basketball Thread

PleaseBlitz

6 hours ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I actually really dislike the matchup for UVA... same lockdown defensive style but TTU should have an edge rebounding. UVA’s offense also goes through spells where it disappears, which will be exacerbated by TTU’s defense. 

Game will be ugly to watch though, total rock fight the entire way. Realistically, 45 points may just win it. 

When Texas Tech is locked in, they are a bad match up for everyone.  You need big, powerful guards who can bang with theirs and see over their defense for the openings they leave, you need active screeners who aren't afraid of taking the ball inside strong on their rim rolls, and you need shooters who can catch and knock down threes to make them pay for how much they cheat off perimeter players and swarm the ball on dribble penetration.

a true drive and kick game will tear that defense up.  But they also know most of their opponents aren't good enough ball handlers and shooters to make them pay for their aggressiveness.  UVA is going to need Tye Jerome and DeAndre Hunter to be excellent.  And their two bigs will have to play tough.

If #11 can't go, UVA can get Odiase in foil trouble with a high screen and roll game and really soften their interior defense and rebounding.  Then you'll get Culver cheating into the paint and rim protecting and leaving a lot more room for your three point shooters.  Plus Culver is going to have his hands full with Hunter anyway.  Michigan State didn't have a forward that could keep Culver off of guarding the ball/keep him honest as an off ball helper.

35 minutes ago, Elessar78 said:

Carlos Boozer and a couple of others whose names escape me right meow. Payola is the biggest nonsecret in college ball. 

Agreed, the difference is when it moves from being an NCAA issue to a criminal one like Adidas/Louisville. Nike paying Zion's mom for "consulting services" seems more of an NCAA issue though. The part that frustrates me about it all is that the NCAA wants to pretend that they are really trying to regulate the league instead of just punishing low level schools and protecting the blue blood east coast favorites.

In other news, this is the question being asked in the #BBN today.

Going to be a crap final, probably lowest rated in years. Travesty that UVA gets in as that was clearest violation you'll ever see...refereeing 101. Was yelling at the TV (pissing off the wife, again) "That's a double dribble! How in the holy **** do you miss that call!" Game over at that point.

Was talking with a friend the other day about the officiating this entire tournament, and how refs were really letting a lot of physicality go on defense. Letting them play. But, as an old ref of over 20 years, a foul is a foul, and should always be called. Used that line hundreds of times when I was leading the crew. BTW, the foul call on the late 3 was spot on, but never should have gotten to that point. 

So, the refs have "let them play" this year, and this is what you get. Two defense oriented teams that may struggle to get 100 total points, and a game not many will watch. NCAA on the ball again!

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

The part that frustrates me about it all is that the NCAA wants to pretend that they are really trying to regulate the league instead of just punishing low level schools and protecting the blue blood east coast favorites.

I've always wondered this.  I'm not huge into college sports but my conspiracy theory is that the NCAA doesn't do any whistleblowing on major programs for violations.  They'll punish a school no one really cares about but they'll never go after a Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc.  This thing with Avenatti/Duke gets swept under the rug quickly.

In regards to Izzo, I think the appreciation with him is that he gets deep into the tournament without seeming to have a recruiting class like Duke had this year with Zion, Barrett, Reddish, etc. 

11 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I've always wondered this.  I'm not huge into college sports but my conspiracy theory is that the NCAA doesn't do any whistleblowing on major programs for violations.  They'll punish a school no one really cares about but they'll never go after a Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc.  This thing with Avenatti/Duke gets swept under the rug quickly.

In regards to Izzo, I think the appreciation with him is that he gets deep into the tournament without seeming to have a recruiting class like Duke had this year with Zion, Barrett, Reddish, etc. 

I agree on both counts, UK got hit in the years before Pitino was hired, but that was 30+ years ago and a lot has changed since then.

They hammered Louisville because they could without much blowback outside of North Central Kentucky and much of that fan base is heavily Afican American. I'm not saying that was a decider but it wasn't the multi-millionaire boosters from UK that were upset.

I'm with you on Izzo too, easily one of the NCAA's top 10 coaches. The question was asked because the guys cited in the tweet were claiming last week that Calipari was over-rated as a coach. 

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

Agreed, the difference is when it moves from being an NCAA issue to a criminal one like Adidas/Louisville. Nike paying Zion's mom for "consulting services" seems more of an NCAA issue though. 

Was reading about this in the Avenatti thread. And figured it belonged in this thread more than that one. 

Yeah, I'm reading about claims that Nike paid a kid's mom. And I'm wondering exactly what crime Nike committed here. 

I'd say it's obviously dirty. But is it (or should it be) illegal?  

And then, the other side of things is, what responsibility should the school have, over a "crime" that happened between Nike and a kid's mother?  

Everyone likes to talk about the missed call on the double dribble but fail to acknowledge the foul before that occurred 

Also, people that are saying the foul call on the 3 being weak doesn’t seem to realize that he hadn’t released the ball yet and the foul was the reason he shorted it

1F8BA7F2-A6DA-4079-A740-DE68D2A4762B.jpeg

Everyone missed the double dribble live. Dickie V can be quiet. Go watch the actual live broadcast. No one called out the violation and it wasn't until Gene S chimed in after the game was over people realized they missed it.

I think that is fair considering the game turned on an uncalled foul under basket on Jerome followed by him picking up his 4th.

4 hours ago, Larry said:

Was reading about this in the Avenatti thread. And figured it belonged in this thread more than that one. 

Yeah, I'm reading about claims that Nike paid a kid's mom. And I'm wondering exactly what crime Nike committed here. 

I'd say it's obviously dirty. But is it (or should it be) illegal?  

And then, the other side of things is, what responsibility should the school have, over a "crime" that happened between Nike and a kid's mother?  

I think this is more an issue with the NCAA, but Louisville had a similar program with Adidas and they got hit with bribery charges.

14 hours ago, Elessar78 said:

Why is any point in the game any more important than any other?

They just SEEM more important later in the game, but you're right the long math of an entire game tells the real truth. I cannot remember ANYONE ever ****ing about a missed call in the first 5 minutes of a game being blamed for a 1 point loss, and yet...

Archived