Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

6 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

You can't have all of the good prospects, SIP! How about spreading a little around for the rest of us? 😂

I would love us to trade down. I'd take a pick at the top of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th for our 1st. 

(2)Hakim Butler

(2)Chase Winovich

(3) plus a 2020 3rd)Josh Rosen 

(3)Ben Banogu

(3)OG

(4)Germaine Pratt

(5)Juan Thornhill

(6)Bryce Love

(7)BPA

I like that mock.  I like Pratt, too.   Here's one I did via draft network last night. Clearly, Lock isn't dropping to the third. 

draftme.png

1 minute ago, Anselmheifer said:

That haul would be crazy haul, SIP, but I don't trust the draft ranges. How does that site work?

You pick a player and then their site picks the players for other teams matched to those teams needs and their board.  It's like anyone of those sites where one aspect of it is realistic and one isn't.  It's realistic that you will get some surprising drops but you can't be that hung on the board -- maybe Lock and Finlay aren't rated as highly on their board as other players but still quarterbacks are overdrafted and they don't take that into account. 

Where is Darnell Savage mocked? Good looking tape. Opportunistic ball hawk. A little small, but otherwise fantastic physical traits. 4.36 fourty, 39.5 inch vert, 126 inch broad jump. 

There is going to be so much talent in the back of this draft. I think it's a remarkable year. 

21 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Where is Darnell Savage mocked? Good looking tape. Opportunistic ball hawk. A little small, but otherwise fantastic physical traits. 4.36 fourty, 39.5 inch vert, 126 inch broad jump. 

There is going to be so much talent in the back of this draft. I think it's a remarkable year. 

Love Savage.  I have him on my NFL draft wish list.  He probably goes anywhere from 3rd to 4th round.

2 hours ago, HigSkin said:

I saw their report on Stidham after I watched his games and I thought did they watch the same thing I did?  The biggest thing I've learned for myself from this draft cycle is to watch full games versus just watch the highlights especially for Qbs.  I've done it on a number of prospects and it changes my perspective night and day.  Obviously I am no scout.  But my point is anyone of us can get a basic handle on any player by just watching the games especially if you dive deep and hit 5-6 of them.   This is my long winded way of saying I've lost respect for Hogs Haven as a source -- to me some of their takes are wildly off where I got my doubts they are actually watching games.  The Riggo Rag guys IMO are much better as to their takes -- they come off like they are at least diving in. 

To their point below, you can find some plays where Stidham does exactly what they say.  But by and large his play under pressure is awful.   And I know I am not on an island on that one.  Love the dude's arm and accuracy and personality.  But his play under pressure -- yuck. 😀

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/2/11/18220204/the-best-value-and-fit-for-the-redskins-at-quarterback-could-be-in-round-three-of-the-2019-nfl-draft

Ability to improvise: Ability to improvise when the protection breaks down is a trait all the great quarterbacks seem to have. We saw Patrick Mahomes do this numerous times this past season. In the NFL, you are not going to have a perfect pocket every time, so this ability has to be present in your quarterback. If that player is a statue back there, or tends to panic under duress, bad things will happen.

Below, you see an example of this ability to make plays happen under pressure from Stidham. Two things impress me here; first, the escape-ability to elude the rush, and roll to his left. Notice after the spin how his head immediately goes back to his progressions. Second is the 35 yard dart he throws without even having his feet set, and the accuracy of the pass. All three of the attributes I mentioned above are on display in this one play!

Marquise is interesting because if Hoffman is right, they love him and would take him in a heartbeat if he fell to their 2nd round pick.  I guess will see if he drops that far.

https://www.rotoworld.com/college-football/cfb/player-news/headlines#news-8892661

• Bleacher Report's Matt Miller kept Oklahoma WR Marquise Brown inside of Round 1 in his recent mock draft.

Brown (5'10/168) went to the Philadelphia Eagles with the No. 25 overall pick in his mock, but Brown "would have gone ahead of D.K. Metcalf if he was healthy and tested as well as expected," according to an anonymous director of scouting. But that would be an upset at this point since Brown is dealing with the notorious Lisfranc foot injury and checked-in at just 168 pounds. When further reports surface surrounding the health of his foot, we'll have a better idea of how high Brown will go in the NFL Draft, but, for now, the 25th overall pick sounds about right.

SOURCE: Bleacher Report
      Mar 9, 2019, 8:57 PM
    • NFL Media's Lance Zierlein reports that South Carolina WR Deebo Samuel's "past hamstring issues concern evaluators."

This is, by far, the biggest knock against Samuel's draft profile, and it may cause Samuel to slide a little further than expected on Day 2 of the NFL Draft. When healthy, Samuel has a Golden Tate-style game predicated on yards after the catch and high competitiveness. At South Carolina in 2018, Samuel scored 11 touchdowns on just 62 receptions. He's a boom or bust slot prospect that "might need scheme help with motion and bunch formations to help free him against NFL man coverage."

@Anselmheifer - I think Thornhill is an easy 2nd rounder personally.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he went in the 1st actually.  As for Savage, I had a 2nd round grade on him, but I think he was mocked as a 3rd rounder.  With his combine, I think the mocks are (or will be?) moving him up now.  

I love Chauncey Gardner-Field’s versatility, but I think Rapp, Thornhill, Savage and Hooker are my favorites as of now.  

6 hours ago, mistertim said:

I like Grier too. If you look at almost all of those infographics that have been posted in here over the past month or two about various QB metrics, the two biggest trends are Murray at #1 and Grier at #2. And that can't be dismissed as a competition or system thing...both Murray and Grier play in the Big 12 and both play in a spread Air Raid system (both of their coaches come from the exact same Air Raid coaching tree). I'm not saying we should pick Grier at 15 (though IMO he's a far better QB than Jones, who's been mocked to us there), but in the 2nd he'd be a really good value and in the 3rd he'd be an absolute steal IMO. 

BTW, Grier came in at 6'2 1/2 218 at his Combine and Senior Bowl weigh ins. His size is absolutely fine.

I think Grier checks most of the boxes. Accuracy, TD:INT ratio, YPA, Leadership, movement, vision, Arm strength, Personable, All are good to excellent. No major holes. If he's there in the 2nd, I'm all for picking him and not looking back. Hell, I'd be happy with a trade up/down to grab him in the late first/early second range. I'm no expert, but he passes my eye test.

I’ve been pretty vocal about Grier, but I’m not entirely sure grabbing him in the 2nd is a good choice. There is so much db/wr/dl talent in this draft that I see him falling to the 3rd, and would wait. We need to focus LG with our second. 

If Grier is there at #13 in the 3rd, I’m all in on the pick. Otherwise, I’d think hard about  using that pick on the best edge rusher/lb available and using the conditional 3rd on Tyree Jackson. That guy is worth a flyer late 3rd /early 4th based on athletic potential. 

5 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

I’ve been pretty vocal about Grier, but I’m not entirely sure grabbing him in the 2nd is a good choice. There is so much db/wr/dl talent in this draft that I see him falling to the 3rd, and would wait. We need to focus LG with our second. 

If Grier is there at #13 in the 3rd, I’m all in on the pick. Otherwise, I’d think hard about  using that pick on the best edge rusher/lb available and using the conditional 3rd on Tyree Jackson. That guy is worth a flyer late 3rd /early 4th based on athletic potential. 

I actually agree about T Jax. If that giant is around in the 4th round, I'd like to add him to the team REGARDLESS of our QB situation. He could be the TE/FB/QB/WR playmaker that would be a nightmare to gameplan for

My biggest knock on Will is that he lacks poise near the goal line. That can be disastrous. In the middle of the field he looks solid and can process routes quickly. I don’t mind the arm strength issues as I don’t see that as a big factor in qb success. Confidence is #1, and decision making is #2 for me. He’s inconsistent with decision making depending on the field location. #3 would be clutch throws. He’s had some great clutch moments. I dunno how he will turn out in the pros. It depends on the system and pieces. 

With Jackson, I could be sold on the idea that we are going to be building around the guy, and success won’t be in one offseason. 

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

My biggest knock on Will is that he lacks poise near the goal line. That can be disastrous. In the middle of the field he looks solid and can process routes quickly. I don’t mind the arm strength issues as I don’t see that as a big factor in qb success. Confidence is #1, and decision making is #2 for me. He’s inconsistent with decision making depending on the field location. #3 would be clutch throws. He’s had some great clutch moments. I dunno how he will turn out in the pros. It depends on the system and pieces. 

I agree with a lot of this.  Personally though, I put accuracy near the top, along with processing speed (which you touched on).  

Assuming he gets a chance, I’m curious to see how/if his play changes in the pros.  I feel like he often looked for the bigger plays (though he showed the ability to take safer options fairly often as well) and therefore took some poor sacks.  Going into the NFL and having to trust your defense more often (as opposed to having to score 30+ to have a chance in the Big 10)... it’s going to be a challenge I think.  Of course, most qbs have to adapt in this way.  

I think he’d be well served if he could blend his play styles from Florida and WV.  He was quick to bail and run with Florida, and would scramble (with eyes downfield) or stay in the pocket with WV.  

3 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

With Jackson, I could be sold on the idea that we are going to be building around the guy, and success won’t be in one offseason. 

I can agree with some red zone problems for Grier. However, from all of his cutups I've watched, I don't think it was as much about lack of poise as it was him trying to be superman and force way too much to try and get TDs instead of taking what was there and/or throwing it away if nobody was open. That's definitely something he's going to get beaten into his head by whatever NFL coach he ends up with. 

15 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:
    • NFL Media's Lance Zierlein reports that South Carolina WR Deebo Samuel's "past hamstring issues concern evaluators."

This is, by far, the biggest knock against Samuel's draft profile, and it may cause Samuel to slide a little further than expected on Day 2 of the NFL Draft. When healthy, Samuel has a Golden Tate-style game predicated on yards after the catch and high competitiveness. At South Carolina in 2018, Samuel scored 11 touchdowns on just 62 receptions. He's a boom or bust slot prospect that "might need scheme help with motion and bunch formations to help free him against NFL man coverage."

His injury history has been known for a long time and why we were of different minds on how early he should be drafted.  However, I completely disagree that he's limited to the slot or that he needs scheme help to beat man coverage.  He was great in the 3-cone and 20 yard cone drills; his film shows that he's both quick and fast; and he has decent size.  I think he could be very productive with the Skins but my worry was always that he would turn out to be like Jordan Reed.  Great but unavailable.  If he's still available in the 3rd then pounce!

I think an EDGE of value will likely be on the board when the Skins pick at 15.  It will be hard to pass on that position for a top TE or the highest touted WR.  In the second it might come down to whether the Skins want to go G or TE.  I'll assume the best G prospect given the possible greater depth of talent in TE.  Deebo with the mid 3rd round pick so the comp pick is the first one available for a TE.  I think the fan favorites will already be gone.  So BPA without position preference - that may be another WR (hopefully a candidate for the X).   

1 minute ago, PlayAction said:

His injury history has been known for a long time and why we were of different minds on how early he should be drafted.  However, I completely disagree that he's limited to the slot or that he needs scheme help to beat man coverage.  He was great in the 3-cone and 20 yard cone drills; his film shows that he's both quick and fast; and he has decent size.  I think he could be very productive with the Skins but my worry was always that he would turn out to be like Jordan Reed.  Great but unavailable.  If he's still available in the 3rd then pounce!

I think an EDGE of value will likely be on the board when the Skins pick at 15.  It will be hard to pass on that position for a top TE or the highest touted WR.  In the second it might come down to whether the Skins want to go G or TE.  I'll assume the best G prospect given the possible greater depth of talent in TE.  Deebo with the mid 3rd round pick so the comp pick is the first one available for a TE.  I think the fan favorites will already be gone.  So BPA without position preference - that may be another WR (hopefully a candidate for the X).   

I agree about Deebo. Wood look good here, but there is so much injury history and it goes beyond the hamstrings. Honestly if it was just recurrent hamstrings, it wouldn't bother me. When was the last time you saw an NFL player fail to succeed because of their hamstrings?

I could also see us going edge, or WR. We have really been sniffing around QB's and WR's. If Metcalf falls, he's the pick. I'd love Hakim Butler at 15. I wouldn't mind Burns, but don't really like Ferrell that high. 

Is Jachai Polite a 3rd rounder now? 

2 hours ago, SemperFi Skins said:

If it's not a QB, then my guy is Devin White or Ed Oliver.... if neither, than Devin Bush...

If not a QB? At 15? Barring a major surprise fall there won't be a QB to be had with the #15 pick that wouldn't be a massive reach (ie wasted pick). As for your contingencies - the two LBs make sense and could be great picks but what the heck would we do with Oliver? DT is the one position the Redskins just haven't any need or room for.

On 3/10/2019 at 10:40 AM, Anselmheifer said:

Exactly. The cost of the contract is almost nothing. If I were them, I would think, if he sees more action and performs well as a backup, the price goes back up and we got some use out of him in the mean time. I think it takes a second. 

Also, thanks RWJ for posting about Ben Banogu. That's the kind of thing that makes this forum fun. Now he's on my radar. Seems like a Ravens/Steelers type pick. He had 8.5 sacks each of the last 2 years. Super explosive athlete. I think Justin Houston could be his comp. He's the kind of guy that could wind up a 12-14 sack guy and we all look back and feel dumb for not predicting success. I wonder how high he goes. I think if you can get him in the 3rd, it's a steal. I wouldn't hesitate to grab Brian Burns in the first and Banogu in the 3rd if that's how the board lined up. BPA, BPA, BPA. We have enough holes on the team not to be drafting for need. 

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article227128479.html

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ben-banogu?id=32194241-4e73-7249-aebe-eec538edf79b

Also, someone on the board was prognosticating Sweat's NFL position with regards to OLB vs. DE. Didn't he decline to do the LB drills at the combine? He's a DE all the way. 

I hope the Giants take Rashan Gary. 

Something to note: I just looked it up and from what I found it said Banogu had a 10 yard split of 1.47 seconds.

For a DL that's insane. Completely ludicrous. 

For comparison:

Von Miller: 1.57

Khalil Mack: 1.56

Aaron Donald: 1.64

Non DL athletic freak numbers:

DK Metcalf: 1.47

Julio Jones: 1.50

Calvin Johnson: 1.52

A 6'3 250 lb DL/OLB had the same 10 yard split as one of the biggest combine freaks in NFL history who was a 6'3 228 lb WR and a better time than Julio Jones and Calvin Johnson. That's some serious short area burst. In his cutups he looks a little raw but still nice. It also seemed to my (admittedly untrained) eye that he wasn't really utilized to play to his strengths and his burst. He did a lot of setting the edge, contain, stunts, etc. instead of pinning his ears back and purely rushing the passer. I'd love to take a flyer on him in the 3rd.

56 minutes ago, nonniey said:

If not a QB? At 15? Barring a major surprise fall there won't be a QB to be had with the #15 pick that wouldn't be a massive reach (ie wasted pick). As for your contingencies - the two LBs make sense and could be great picks but what the heck would we do with Oliver? DT is the one position the Redskins just haven't any need or room for.

BPA approach... we won't be able to pay Ionn and Allen.... still need a healthy rotation.

Archived