Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 NCAA Football Thread

ixcuincle

3 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

Fine. Bucknell can keep football.

And I'm sure they, along with countless other small school coaches that bust their butts to help kids become men and leave college with a degree for very little money, will be honored by your approval. I see a keynote speech or two in your future if they can afford to bring in someone of your status. 

Speaking of all that: 

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/8/7/17298832/ivy-league-fcs-playoffs

The Massey Composite compiles computer ratings for both the FBS and FCS levels. In 2015, the Ivy League, powered by No. 5 Harvard and No. 6 Dartmouth, graded out as the second-best FCS conference, behind only North Dakota State’s Missouri Valley. In 2017, it ranked fourth.

The league has fielded at least one top-15 team in six of the last eight years, and the depth appears to be increasing quickly, too.

That trend should only continue. Per HERO Sports, Princeton signed 2018’s No. 1 FCS recruiting class, and three other Ivy schools (No. 2 Yale, No. 6 Harvard, No. 14 Columbia) ranked in the top 15. Harvard and Yale ranked in the top eight in each of the last two years, too.

Maybe you’ve noticed. Maybe you flipped over to NBC Sports on a Friday night to watch part of an Ivy League game or turned on the annual Harvard-Yale battle and caught yourself getting sucked in. Maybe you saw two Ivy Leaguers get selected in April’s NFL draft. Or maybe you noticed Princeton beating out Alabama for a four-star quarterback.

Between the corrupt quagmire that is big-time college football and my own alma mater's back-to-back 3-9 seasons, the Ivy League is the only thing keeping me excited about college football this year. Seems to be one of the few conferences that actually cares about their football players getting a good education and having functioning minds and bodies after they graduate. 

Plus, I've always wanted to go to Franklin Field. So:

LARGEIMAGE_669065.jpg

Go Quakers

Report: Baylor Secretly Infiltrated Sexual Assault Survivor Groups

According to a report from PR Week, Baylor officials placed a mole within several support groups for sexual assault survivors as a way to control their messaging and keep the university from looking bad.

Baylor currently faces a Title IX lawsuit from 10 anonymous former students for their alleged serial mishandling of sexual assault cases over the past decade, and Baylor football players have been accused of committing 52 rapes over four years. Per PR Week, the school attempted to curtail the voices of sexual assault survivors by embedding an insider (identified as Matt Burchett, director of student activities at Baylor) into survivor groups and getting them to soften their stances.

Burchett reportedly used his role as the school’s chief event planner and student life liaison to gain the trust of the groups. He would pretend to help them organize activities, all while siphoning information back to Baylor officials and to Ketchum, a PR firm retained by the school in the wake of reporting on its handling of sexual assaults.

When these groups organized on campus to comfort each other and demand action from former chancellor Kenneth Starr, “[Burchett] would coordinate with them, befriend them, and pretend he was helping them organize vigils and demonstrations [about] sexual assault,” the source added.

Burchett would pass on what he learned to school officials, the communications department, and Ketchum, the source added. In an email described to PRWeek, Kevin Jackson, VP of student life and Burchett’s supervisor, said the director of student activities was “adept at this kind of thing.”

He also reportedly tried to get them to adopt more university-friendly rhetoric in their public communications:

Burchett also tried to shape the group’s public statements, encouraged it not to say Baylor “failed” the survivors or Baylor “failed” to create a safe environment, two sources said. When the group was preparing to send a letter to Starr, Burchett suggested edits.

Major college sports is a cesspool and needs to be abolished.

48 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

Speaking of all that: 

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/8/7/17298832/ivy-league-fcs-playoffs

Between the corrupt quagmire that is big-time college football and my own alma mater's back-to-back 3-9 seasons, the Ivy League is the only thing keeping me excited about college football this year. Seems to be one of the few conferences that actually cares about their football players getting a good education and having functioning minds and bodies after they graduate. 

Plus, I've always wanted to go to Franklin Field. So:

LARGEIMAGE_669065.jpg

Go Quakers

I attended this game. The most eagerly anticipated Ivy League football game since the Jazz Age, and Princeton lost because the quarterback fumbled the snap four goddamn times. It really couldn't have ended any other way.

40,000 people at venerable Franklin Field.

Fact: you always have to describe Franklin Field as "venerable."

https://www.nytimes.com/1993/11/07/sports/college-football-penn-lot-mightier-than-princeton-11-stokes-stands.html

22 minutes ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

I attended this game. The most eagerly anticipated Ivy League football game since the Jazz Age, and Princeton lost because the quarterback fumbled the snap four goddamn times. It really couldn't have ended any other way.

40,000 people at venerable Franklin Field.

Fact: you always have to describe Franklin Field as "venerable."

https://www.nytimes.com/1993/11/07/sports/college-football-penn-lot-mightier-than-princeton-11-stokes-stands.html

Is this one of those "THE Ohio State University" deals? If so, I'll try to keep that in mind. 

I'll be taking at least two trips to Philadelphia this autumn: one to see East Carolina play Temple (currently on a four game losing streak against them) and at least one trip to Venerable Franklin Field. I am genuinely excited about following the Ivy League this year. If it weren't for them, I'd probably disengage from football completely this year.

Tennessee fans are something else. :ols:  Someone please inform these folks that their team hasn't been relevant this century.  

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/8/28/17792094/dana-holgorsen-tennessee-wvu-depth-chart

West Virginia’s depth chart got Tennessee fans mad, meaning FOOTBALL IS BACK, folks

I'll summarize to save you from having to read angry and confused tweets from people from Tennessee.  

Tennessee:  Releases depth chart that does not specify a starter for 13 positions.

WVU:  Does the same, but only for 5 positions.

Tennessee fans:  THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS AND WVU IS A BUNCH OF BABIES.  

As of about an hour ago, zach smith is having a complete twitter meltdown, lashing out at everyone... his wife, osu, brett mcmurphy, everyone

Cant look away

18 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Tennessee fans are something else. :ols:  So

So what youre saying is that adults that spend all of their time worshipping 18 year old unpaid college kids participating in the most corrupt sports league in america are `something else`? 

Well, yah.  Die hard college football fans are all mental cases, no exceptions

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:45 AM, thebluefood said:

I am genuinely excited about following the Ivy League this year. If it weren't for them, I'd probably disengage from football completely this year.

That will end very very quickly. If you like watching football played at half speed in enormous, empty stadiums, the Ivy League is the sport for you, though. In all honesty, the only time the Ivy League feels like a real sports league is during a basketball game at the Palestra when Penn is good.

https://247sports.com/college/alabama/Article/Alabama-Crimson-Tide-Louisville-Cardinals-confident-against-defensive-front-121143943/

Surprisingly, there's still a ton of pre-game chirping coming from inside Louisville's locker room heading into Saturday's season-opening showdown vs. top-ranked Alabama in Orlando.

Senior offensive lineman Lukayus McNeil on Tuesday said the Cardinals could have their way with Alabama's front seven, widely-considered one of college football's most talented.

“I understand that they got a good, deep front,” McNeil said, according to the Courier-Journal. “But we got a great O-line. So if we can dominate up front, then we’re not worried about the defensive front at all. I definitely think we’re capable of going out, starting off fast and dominating their D-line.”

On 8/29/2018 at 4:38 PM, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

That will end very very quickly. If you like watching football played at half speed in enormous, empty stadiums, the Ivy League is the sport for you, though. In all honesty, the only time the Ivy League feels like a real sports league is during a basketball game at the Palestra when Penn is good.

If teenagers and folks in their early-20s aren't getting their bodies and minds destroyed for life and I still get some time outside in a town I wanna know better, I'll take it. 

Besides, look at these absolute dorks:

How can't you love this? They're playing at a quarter-full stadium where few people care about them or the action on the field but they're still having a good time. 

First bet of the year (which is now arguable legal) between myself and my cousin's husband who is a Tennessee alum.  In January, when those 2 schools play each other in basketball for the Big 12/SEC Challenge, the winner (straight up) gets to pick the bar and the loser has to pick up the bar tab.  

41 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

First bet of the year (which is now arguable legal) between myself and my cousin's husband who is a Tennessee alum.  In January, when those 2 schools play each other in basketball for the Big 12/SEC Challenge, the winner (straight up) gets to pick the bar and the loser has to pick up the bar tab.  

I would make another bet and make the loser watch that game.

Archived