Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 NCAA Football Thread

ixcuincle

2 hours ago, Koala said:

Depends on exactly what facts you are referring to.  I was going off of the fact that she had never pressed charges, or sought to resolve the situation through official channels.  If she did, then I stand corrected.  If she didnt, then Ill ask you to give me a reasonable explanation for why someone woudl refuse to file charges, but seek to inform her husband's employer (supposedly for help)? 

Have you ever been the victim of domestic abuse by fairly powerful (comparatively to you) spouse? You can't say how someone should or shouldn't react in these type of situations. Perhaps she wanted help but didn't want him to go to jail or make national news so she didn't go to police. Her actions neither prove or disprove her story because everyone reacts differently in those situations. 

The same argument is used during rape accusations too. It doesn't hold water

1 minute ago, Elessar78 said:

Is this the same as Paterno's role in the Sandusky thing? 

Head coach informed of sexual abuse. Head coach doesn't fire assistant. Incidents investigated by exterior law enforcement but nothing happens?

It's almost exactly the same except the underlying offense is beating a pregnant lady instead of sexual assault of minors.  

You know who is being the most even-headed about this right now? Penn State message boards.  Whereas places like Eleven Warriors are up in arms about Meyer not having done anything wrong (note, they were some of the most vocal insisting Penn State be burned to the ground), the Penn State boards have essentially been preaching patience.  About all I've seen that was nasty was more along the lines of "you called us pedophiles, lay in your own bed you ****s" type of responses.

I love my college football, but man do college sports test me as a human being.  It was bad enough as a PSU fan being right in the middle of one of the worst scandals in history.  Then you've had the Michigan State thing with Nassar, this think with Urban Meyer, the thing at (Baylor?).  If I'm a fan base that isn't involved, I'm at this point just hoping it isn't our turn next.  If it wasn't for the opportunities it provides, I'm almost with LKB on this one.

Moving on from Urban Meyer, Athlon has a really great series where they granted coaches anonymity to talk about other programs in the conference.  It is GOLD.

Here is the one for the Big 12, each major conference has its own.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-12-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2018

Kansas

"I wouldn’t take that Kansas job unless I was desperate, had never been a head coach and was offered a 10-year, guaranteed contract. David Beaty is truly one of the best guys in our business, and he wanted to be a head coach and he believed — like we all do — that you can win anywhere with the right combination of players and commitment. Here’s the problem with Kansas: It’s nearly impossible to get players, and the commitment from those running the show is hit and miss."

"That team wasn’t even close to winning a conference game, weren’t even competitive for the most part. That’s what’s scary. Believe me, David is a good coach. But that’s one of those programs that just beats you down."

Kansas State

"It definitely feels like that program is just kind of there. It’s almost as if they’re all just waiting for a legend to say, 'I’m done.' Make no mistake, Bill has earned the right to go out his way. But until he does, it just kind of feels like a big bowl of vanilla ice cream. It’s good on a hot day, but for how long? And when do you start to crave strawberry?"

Oklahoma

"Lincoln is going to have to make a decision on defense. They just don’t look like they consistently improve under Mike (Stoops). That’s a tough situation for Lincoln. Mike’s brother basically got him that job, set him up. Do you run off Bob’s brother because the defense makes way too many mistakes, or do you hope he figures it out? They were just so hit and miss on defense last year, and have been that way now for years."

Texas

"You want to talk about Texas tough? That team can’t run the ball. We were more concerned with Ehlinger running the ball than anyone else. When you can’t run the ball, a majority of the time it’s because you can’t get a push up front. I can’t remember the last time the Texas offensive line scared us. They’re not pushing anyone around. That’s where is has to start for them."

Texas Tech

"I absolutely think it’s fair to question where the program is headed. Look, we all know the business we’re in, and simply winning more than you lose doesn’t cut it anymore. Anywhere. So does 6–6 cut it this time around?"

WVU

"They lost some guys in the secondary, which might not be a bad thing."

1 minute ago, Forehead said:

You know who is being the most even-headed about this right now? Penn State message boards.  Whereas places like Eleven Warriors are up in arms about Meyer not having done anything wrong (note, they were some of the most vocal insisting Penn State be burned to the ground), the Penn State boards have essentially been preaching patience.  About all I've seen that was nasty was more along the lines of "you called us pedophiles, lay in your own bed you ****s" type of responses.

I love my college football, but man do college sports test me as a human being.  It was bad enough as a PSU fan being right in the middle of one of the worst scandals in history.  Then you've had the Michigan State thing with Nassar, this think with Urban Meyer, the thing at (Baylor?).  If I'm a fan base that isn't involved, I'm at this point just hoping it isn't our turn next.  If it wasn't for the opportunities it provides, I'm almost with LKB on this one.

I got into it on Twitter a few weeks ago with some fellow PSU fans becuase they were celebrating "Six years ago they put sanctions on us that were supposed to destroy the program. All we did was put up six winning seasons and X bowl wins, etc." It really disheartened me because I feel like the point of the sanctions was completely missed. Just got some weak ass responses like these football players committed no crimes. Further, they tried to defend it against MSU and Baylor not being punished for their institutional failures. 

4 hours ago, Koala said:

Depends on exactly what facts you are referring to.  I was going off of the fact that she had never pressed charges, or sought to resolve the situation through official channels.  If she did, then I stand corrected.  If she didnt, then Ill ask you to give me a reasonable explanation for why someone woudl refuse to file charges, but seek to inform her husband's employer (supposedly for help)? 

She did, but in order to get a protection order in Ohio she had to prove her life was in danger. Some of her text messages were about struggling to get a protection order. Why is it blame the victim first, ask questions later?

3 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Have you ever been the victim of domestic abuse by fairly powerful (comparatively to you) spouse? You can't say how someone should or shouldn't react in these type of situations. Perhaps she wanted help but didn't want him to go to jail or make national news so she didn't go to police. Her actions neither prove or disprove her story because everyone reacts differently in those situations. 

The same argument is used during rape accusations too. It doesn't hold water

I've noticed people (men) using their daughters as some sort of credential for victim blaming. I.e "I'm a father to x daughters and I would never condone hitting a woman but...". Men taking authority they don't have to chime in with tone deaf nonsensical garbage. Will that movie ever stop making sequals? 

https://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2018/7/31/17632432/jim-harbaughs-matrix-of-meats-by-temperament

JIM HARBAUGH’S MATRIX OF MEATS BY TEMPERAMENT

jimharbaughsmeattable1.png

Chicken: “Nervous meat.”

Pork: “Mid-energy meat but it’s got some pep. Positive animals. Ever heard someone say “sadder than a pig in ****?” You haven’t.”

Rabbit: “Just wrecks. You would be too if you were Nature’s perfect snackmeat, right down to the easy-rip wrapper.”

Duck: “Full of self-hatred! Untrustworthy waterfowl.”

Bear: “Anything that sleeps four months out of the year has to be depressed.”

Goose: “Honking is just another word for a cry for help!”

Goat: “Too relaxed to be great. Great attitude, though. Coachable.”

Turtle: “Turtle’s a cooling meat. Put five of them in a room and you won’t need AC.”

Horse: “Anxious but delicious!”

Turkey: “Seems confident enough but his entire demeanor is a LIE.”

Lamb: “There’s real sadness because they can be eaten and shaved.”

Beef: “The cow is docile because it wants to be eaten. It craves it.”

Kangaroo: “The reason I have seven kids. Pure power.”

Human: “Worth a look?!??!?!!”

8 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

She did, but in order to get a protection order in Ohio she had to prove her life was in danger. Some of her text messages were about struggling to get a protection order. Why is it blame the victim first, ask questions later?

Well that is a huge bit of information that honestly I was not aware of.  And, IMHO, it changes everything.  Wow.  Never occured to me that domestic abuse laws could be that horriblly inadequate.  While I do have some major questions for the police/LE, who still I think are ultimately more responsible than Urban for this mess, this tidbit of information  (and that NCAA rule about reporting abuse) does change  my perspective dramatically -- Im not sorry to see Urban go.  And he can take the police chief and the idiot lawmakers who wrote that law, with him. I just hope this doesnt all become about Urban -- there have to be some changes regarding domestic abuse law, and police have to be held responsible.

UNC doing UNC things.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/8/6/17597834/north-carolina-football-suspensions-players

Thirteen North Carolina players, including potential starting QB Chazz Surratt, will be suspended for selling shoes they’d been given by the team in January. Nine players will miss four games each, and four other players will miss a combined three games. The Heels’ opener at Cal is on Sept. 1, followed by East Carolina, UCF, and Pitt.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24258776/almost-unfamous-why-west-virginia-qb-grier-scrambling-duck-social-media-spotlight-shines-celebrity-siblings

Long awesome read on Will Grier and his much more famous siblings. 

He was a veritable football commodity, but in the spring and summer of 2013, his younger brother eclipsed Will's burgeoning stardom. Nash, then 15, posted a slew of looping, six-second comedy videos on Vine that went viral. More than viral. While Will would build on his football success -- throwing for 77 touchdowns as a senior and earning Parade magazine's player of the year honors -- his brother built his following. Nash now has 9.9 million Instagram subscribers and 7 million Twitter followers and is considered a tween-whispering tastemaker. In January 2014, as Will played in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, Nash traveled to Iceland to promote an app. He posted a video: "Come meet me ... at Smaralind mall in Reykjavik!" When the mall couldn't withstand the thousands who showed up, security shut it down. He accompanied Will a few weeks later to the Parade All-American banquet, and hordes in Times Square clamored for Nash, not Will. Later that same year, as Will moved to Gainesville for his freshman year at Florida, Nash relocated too -- to LA. Trips to Good Morning America, the White House Correspondents' Association dinner and Paris Fashion Week followed.

As viral matter does, Nash's fame spread: to the last of the Grier brothers, Hayes (5.5 million Instagram followers), who at 15 became the second-youngest participant on Dancing With the Stars; to their 9-year-old sister, Skylynn Floyd (1.1 million Instagram followers), who has had her own managed account since before she was 3; to their mother, Elizabeth Grier-Floyd (360,000 Instagram followers), who launched a lifestyle channel on YouTube. Chad, with a robust 210,000 followers himself, has kept his day job as high school football coach but firmly grasps that his family is now a brand. And that brand touches Will, with or without Will's buy-in.

"There's really never been a kid coming out of college with that kind of presence already," Chad says. "With that kind of marketing potential, with two brothers who can really move the needle."

Will, who was hardly shy in cameos for his brothers' clips, is proud of their success but not enamored by it, Chad says. "Nash and Hayes created this incredible following and all this power and influence and money and fame and opportunity. Will could've said, 'Hey, I'll do the same thing.' But I've never seen a hint of him wanting that."

and then this:

CHAD GRIER STOOD on his front lawn in the suburbs of Charlotte. It was nearly 11 on a Sunday night in the spring of 2014, and he and his second wife, Will's stepmother, Nila, had just finished watching Revenge, like they did every Sunday. He was taking his goldendoodle, Lucy, out before returning when Chad heard someone shout in the distance.

"Get your hands up!"

Two men, clad in combat gear, with rifles trained on him, closed in and demanded that Chad get down on his knees.

"Who is Nash Grier?" they yelled.

"My son," Chad said from the ground.

"We have a report that he's holding someone hostage in your basement and your house is wired for bombs."

There was no hostage, of course, nor any bombs -- Nash and his family had been the victims of an elaborate and dangerous hoax. A 16-year-old from Scotland manufactured a hostage crisis, prompting a SWAT team to descend on the Griers' home in North Carolina. Will hadn't yet played a down of collegiate football, but his brother -- like Tom Cruise and Justin Bieber and Paris Hilton before him -- had earned a terrifying distinction: a level of fame that made him a target of swatting.

Archived