Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 - 19 Stanley Cup Champion Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

12 minutes ago, Forehead said:

I enjoy hockey but I'm not the die hard some of you are and am not as familiar with how heated the rivalries are, except Pitt, I know rooting for Crosby is bad in all circumstances.

I liked Trotz and would probably root for the Islanders from here on out.  Is this permissable or are they too much of a hated rival?

It’s fine. I don’t consider the Islanders or the Canes a rival 

This was the first year i really got into hockey, but I still consider myself just a casual fan. Don’t know much about the other teams. With that being said, i think I’ll cheer for the islanders and hope Trotz goes back to back. Real question, has any coach gone back to back with two different teams in the history of the nhl? Or would this be the first time?

10 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

This was the first year i really got into hockey, but I still consider myself just a casual fan. Don’t know much about the other teams. With that being said, i think I’ll cheer for the islanders and hope Trotz goes back to back. Real question, has any coach gone back to back with two different teams in the history of the nhl? Or would this be the first time?

Please do not. They are an arch rival of ours -- they used to continuously beat us and abuse during the 80s when they were very good.

Root for someone harmless like the Blue Jackets or Colorado. 

I’d like to see Trotz do well.   I hate Tortarella so Columbus is out of the question.  As is Boston cause **** them.  Can’t root for the Canes cause they beat us.

I like Colorado.  And talk about a team that got lucky, they get the 2nd pick (I think) in the draft.  Sharks are ok too also I think, for a bunch of goons.

After a decade plus of basically being the Caps of the Western Conference, this should be the Sharks year.  With their stacked roster, If they can't win the Cup after being gifted a Game 7 win and all the other top seeds falling, they're never going to do it.

1 minute ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Caps were skating in snow. Their legs were gone.

We can talk about not having Trotz, etc, but that looked like an old team struggling to hang on.

To me (casual fan who has tuned in for the playoffs the past 5-6 years), this looked like any one of the other playoff "runs" this team has had, save last year's magic. It seems like this is closer to who they are and last year was a special run, rather than a changing of the guard. It's great that they got the 2018 Cup and maybe they'll steal one more before needing to rebuild. 

15 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

To me (casual fan who has tuned in for the playoffs the past 5-6 years), this looked like any one of the other playoff "runs" this team has had, save last year's magic. It seems like this is closer to who they are and last year was a special run, rather than a changing of the guard. It's great that they got the 2018 Cup and maybe they'll steal one more before needing to rebuild. 

That's how hockey goes. The playoffs are a crapshoot for the most part.

Hard to say it was old legs when several of the older guys were the biggest contributors in the series.

It's ridiculously hard to go back to back so all I can do now is hope they get some extra rest with the longer summer and GMBM can figure out a way to tweak the roster a bit in a way that can help them contend again next Spring.  The biggest thing that killed them in the series was the secondary scoring from last year completely dried up.  It's kind of ridiculous to get that production from Ovechkin and Backstrom and not be able to escape the first round.

Just now, Heisenberg said:

Hard to say it was old legs when several of the older guys were the biggest contributors in the series.

It's ridiculously hard to go back to back so all I can do now is hope they get some extra rest with the longer summer and GMBM can figure out a way to tweak the roster a bit in a way that can help them contend again next Spring.  The biggest thing that killed them in the series was the secondary scoring from last year completely dried up.  It's kind of ridiculous to get that production from Ovechkin and Backstrom and not be able to escape the first round.

Lack of secondary scoring, ineffective PP, and Holtby not being shutdown. In last years playoff he shuts Carolina down after taking the 2-1 lead in Game 6.

A poster mentioned earlier in the year about trading Holtby, now that he has a Cup, he is still young and his market value is high. We all laughed hysterically.

After last night I don't think its such a bad idea. We have a great goalie prospect, Samsonov, in the wings. Holtby could net up some good young talent, particularly on 

the defensive side. We need to start planning for the post OV / Backstom era. 

Just now, Mournblade said:

A poster mentioned earlier in the year about trading Holtby, now that he has a Cup, he is still young and his market value is high. We all laughed hysterically.

After last night I don't think its such a bad idea. We have a great goalie prospect, Samsonov, in the wings. Holtby could net up some good young talent, particularly on 

the defensive side. We need to start planning for the post OV / Backstom era. 

I'd consider it at this point. He's good but not great anymore and he's going to be a FA soon. We need to free up some salary since we have so much committed in some of our older guys.

Last thing we wanna do is be the LA Kings where you win some Cups but then pay everyone who helped you win and suck for 5+ years after.

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Lack of secondary scoring, ineffective PP, and Holtby not being shutdown. In last years playoff he shuts Carolina down after taking the 2-1 lead in Game 6.

Yeah, I kind of let him off the hook since he saved their asses a ton in OT but he definitely let in a few he probably shouldn't have last night.

Also, that was the other thing I meant to include - the power play unit being a -1 last night was just ridiculous and probably the biggest single reason for the loss.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

This is exactly right. Last year the secondary scoring was huge all playoffs. This series, almost nonexistent. And Holtby looked sharp early in the series, but not so much the last 2 games. Last night, he was bad on the 1st and 3rd goals. And in reality, I think last year he stops that 2nd goal. That’s not an easy save, but those are the series winning saves you want your goalie to make. But even if that goal can’t be stopped, he has to do better than what he did on goals 1 and 3.

43 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I completely agree, and that's why this loss hurts so much.  Losing in the first round to a less-skilled team doesn't invalidate what they did last year, but it does make me second-guess some of the assumptions I had based on the Cup win - most notably that this team is now mentally tougher and resilient and hungrier and won't be out-worked by anyone.  I can't say I saw any of that for the majority of this past series.  You say "maybe they'll steal one more" Cup.  I don't want people to have the feeling that they stole it, I want fans to look back on this team and say they were great and earned their title, not just that their number finally came up in the crapshoot that is the NHL playoffs.  I'm not saying fans think that now, but a few more playoff flops before this team disbands would make 2018 seem like more of an anomaly. 

Just now, capcrunch98 said:

I completely agree, and that's why this loss hurts so much.  Losing in the first round to a less-skilled team doesn't invalidate what they did last year, but it does make me second-guess some of the assumptions I had based on the Cup win - most notably that this team is now mentally tougher and resilient and hungrier and won't be out-worked by anyone.  I can't say I saw any of that for the majority of this past series.  You say "maybe they'll steal one more" Cup.  I don't want people to have the feeling that they stole it, I want fans to look back on this team and say they were great and earned their title, not just that their number finally came up in the crapshoot that is the NHL playoffs.  I'm not saying fans think that now, but a few more playoff flops before this team disbands would make 2018 seem like more of an anomaly. 

No such thing as stealing a Cup. You can't fluke your way to 16 playoff wins.

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Agreed, and once I'm done mourning this loss, I'm hoping it'll make me feel even better about our Cup win; a reminder of just how damn hard it is to achieve it.

I'm speaking more about what the Cup win means for this team going forward.  You win the title, you keep pretty much the whole team together, and you start thinking everything will be different from here on out.  Then a year later it's back to the same disappointment us longtime fans have been suffering through for the past 30 years, and it's a letdown.  Not saying this team's window is closed and that they can't win it all again (or come close) with this squad, but that swagger and sense of belief have taken a hit for many fans.

3 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

You can fluke your way out of the playoffs, but you can't fluke your way to 16 wins across 4 rounds. Ridiculous notion. The NHL playoffs are a crapshoot, plain and simple. Zero division winners made it out of round 1. ZERO. The Presidents Trophy winner and 62 win team didn't win a game. The Penguins, the wily veteran team that everyone thought would waltz through the Islanders didn't win a game. 

Chicago won a their first cup in forever in 2010. In 2011 they squeaked into the playoffs as an 8 seed and lost in 6, missed the playoffs in 2012, won the cup in 2013, lost in the WCF in 2014, won the cup in 2015, lost in the 1st round in 2016, got swept by a WC team in 2017, and missed the playoffs in 2018 & 2019. Look at the Kings run and notice a similar pattern...

It will be OK. It sucks that the magic of the last 16 months ended last night. The Caps are setup to be a competitive team for the next few years. Defense has a TON of depth in the NHL/AHL. A few depth forwards are needed, but they have cap space (~$11.5M). Will they win the Metro again next year? Maybe. They should be in position to make the playoffs for the foreseeable future. 

Next year's lineup should look something like:

8-92-43

13(RFA)-19-77

65(RFA)-20-UFA(10?)

AHL/UFA-26-UFA(25?)

74-6

2-9

34/29-3

I didn't give them enough credit using the term "stealing" to describe 2018. That wasn't fair. What I meant to portray was that maybe 2018 is the anomaly and pre-2018 plus 2019 is more of who they are (a good team who underachieves in the post-season). By "steal one more Cup" I meant that they are probably more in the category of needing the stars to align to make another run rather than a team that "has arrived" and might be on the cusp of stringing several deep runs together. I think that was an assumption that some of us held when they finally broke through last summer. 

32 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

PLUS they beat the best of the best last year. Well maybe not so much Columbus, but defending champs Pittsburgh and prohibitive Cup favorite Tampa

(where Tampa had HFA). It was no fluke. 

6 minutes ago, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I didn't give them enough credit using the term "stealing" to describe 2018. That wasn't fair. What I meant to portray was that maybe 2018 is the anomaly and pre-2018 plus 2019 is more of who they are (a good team who underachieves in the post-season). By "steal one more Cup" I meant that they are probably more in the category of needing the stars to align to make another run rather than a team that "has arrived" and might be on the cusp of stringing several deep runs together. I think that was an assumption that some of us held when they finally broke through last summer. 

This.  I couldn't agree with you more.  A few days ago I debated a few posters here about how I thought losing to Carolina would be the biggest choke job ever for the Caps.  In hindsight it's not because I underestimated the Canes, but more because I extremely overestimated this Caps team because of the magic last spring. 

4 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

This.  I couldn't agree with you more.  A few days ago I debated a few posters here about how I thought losing to Carolina would be the biggest choke job ever for the Caps.  In hindsight it's not because I underestimated the Canes, but more because I extremely overestimated this Caps team because of the magic last spring. 

When you consider that they were up 2-0 in the series and 2-0 and 3-1 in Game 7 at home, that's also pretty bad. 

6 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

I extremely overestimated this Caps team because of the magic last spring. 

Eh.. i disagree. I think they still had the talent to beat carolina in 5-6 games, but when kuzy and vrana are no shows for the entire series, then lose oshie, it takes away a lot of scoring potential. Even having 1 of those guys for the last 2 games wouldve made the difference imo. Ovi/Backstrom were great, but they cant do it all

Archived