Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is this the most talented yet misused defensive front we've had in years?

Vanguard

7 hours ago, RedskinsLegacy said:

Agree, you can't let elite QB's sit back and pick you apart, because they will do just that. Timing is everything and I would like to see us get in their faces more. 

The Devil's Bargain with blitzing elite QBs like Matt Ryan and Drew Brees is that they read them pre-snap too well.  Disguising them is a real issue.  If their OL is weak, then I think it's better to just play coverage and trust your DL to win their match ups.

The problem for us against New Orleans was that their OL won for pretty much the entire first half, plus Brees was on a mission, and plus our secondary had a ton of breakdowns.  It also didn't help that the refs decided to allow some holds and we made some bad bail out penalties on the few drives we actually managed to stop them.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The Devil's Bargain with blitzing elite QBs like Matt Ryan and Drew Brees is that they read them pre-snap too well.  Disguising them is a real issue.  If their OL is weak, then I think it's better to just play coverage and trust your DL to win their match ups.

The problem for us against New Orleans was that their OL won for pretty much the entire first half, plus Brees was on a mission, and plus our secondary had a ton of breakdowns.  It also didn't help that the refs decided to allow some holds and we made some bad bail out penalties on the few drives we actually managed to stop them.

Whats even more maddening was it was 6-3 at the end of the 1st quarter.  It was working... then we stalled with ball control on offense and we just couldn't hang.  

In 2018, Ioannidis has been in on 230 snaps for the Redskins defense, which is just over half of the total action. He's generated 5.5 sacks on those 230 snaps.

So, that means the third-year player drops a QB once every 41.8 snaps. That number is actually better than the one posted by these top sack-getters around the league (Donald currently leads the NFL in sacks, while the rest are tied for second):

Aaron Donald: 424 snaps/10 snaps/sack every 42.4 snaps
Von Miller: 408 snaps/8 sacks/sack every 51 snaps
Jason Pierre-Paul: 429 snaps/8 sacks/sack every 53.62 snaps
Danielle Hunter: 442 snaps/8 sacks/sack every 55.25 snaps
Dee Ford: 467 snaps/8 sacks/sack every 58.38 snaps
JJ Watt: 484 snaps/8 sacks/sack every 60.5 snaps
Myles Garrett: 566 snaps/8 sacks/sack every 70.75 snaps

Ioannidis isn't too heavily involved in Washington's nickel defense, which is why his snap count is lower than the players listed above.

But when it comes to sacks-per-snap, none of those elite guys can match him. On a per-play basis, he's been more productive than Aaron Donald, Von Miller and JJ Watt — stars who are regarded as some of the most feared defenders of this decade.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/redskins/impressed-matt-ioannidis-these-three-numbers-will-make-you-even-more-impressed

12 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

I want a stud ILB with range or a speed rusher.

Agreed.  I want both of these with our first two picks.  People will opine for LG or a WR, but I want to build the defense.  Not sure about the high end talent at ILB in this draft, but I wouldn't cry if we drafted a corner either.  

I'm a defensive guy.  Our defense has been trash for far too long.  We're on the cusp of having an elite defense.  Time to bring back the ****ing boom stick.

Just now, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Agreed.  I want both of these with our first two picks.  People will opine for LG or a WR, but I want to build the defense.  Not sure about the high end talent at ILB in this draft, but I wouldn't cry if we drafted a corner either.  

I'm a defensive guy.  Our defense has been trash for far too long.  We're on the cusp of having an elite defense.  Time to bring back the ****ing boom stick.

I'm with ya. Defense first always. I actually enjoy this offense. Run the ball and dont **** up. Let the D run the game and control the tempo. 

I admit I grossly underestimate the importance of a CB. I'm a LB and Saftey guy. 

Gotta go BPA.  Might be a DL, might be a LB, or might be a DB.  But it could easily be an OL or WR/TE or hell, even a running back.  The DL class is so strong this season that good players at those other positions are going to get pushed down because of a likely first round DL run.

What I'd like the most is for the BPA to be a QB but I haven't seen any QBs I really like this season and I am pretty sure we're not going to draft one anyway.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Gotta go BPA.  Might be a DL, might be a LB, or might be a DB.  But it could easily be an OL or WR/TE or hell, even a running back.  The DL class is so strong this season that good players at those other positions are going to get pushed down because of a likely first round DL run.

What I'd like the most is for the BPA to be a QB but I haven't seen any QBs I really like this season and I am pretty sure we're not going to draft one anyway.

I agree.  I think we should go best player available.  A real legit impact player.

4 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

we still have some young talent developing in those spots, we need to spend some attention where the cupboard is bare

3 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

We have no young talent at ILB or edge rusher.  Try again.  

At ILB..JHC or SDH could develop nicely and if nothing else one of the two could start in the next couple of years. I think edge rusher and defensive depth is needed.(everywhere). The rest can go to the offense...line..TE..WR...developmental  QB..etc. I would say corner but who knows how Adonis..Fabian develop...

1 minute ago, Vanguard said:

OMG.  I had a problem with that move from the start.  I can't remember where I posted it.

Lol I didn't like the move either but he had an injury and I'm not sure if he's on another team right now.  

Archived