Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Tulsa Race Riots

Going Commando

Not sure where to start. 

What OP said is bad and hopefully never happens again.  That is a sense of context when people talk about racisim today, I don't know what they are comparing to.  People carrying tiki torches, ohz noz, we're doomed they've gone that far.  Not even close, some of ya'll talk about today's racist like they compare to when we needed an underground railroad, or when when free black men were being kindnapped and made slaves in the south. 

Think about if for a second what we're really dealing with, and if we can survive it.  We can, classism is the real problem.

18 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We're at the 97 year anniversary of this mostly forgotten atrocity.  NPR ran an incredible interview with perhaps the only remaining survivor of the incident.  You can find the article and interview here: https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2018/05/31/615546965/meet-the-last-surviving-witness-to-the-tulsa-race-riot-of-1921

If you're unfamiliar with the history of the incident, take some time to read the well-detailed wikipedia article about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_race_riot

I think it's extremely important to remember and reflect upon our country's gruesome history of the racial oppression that black people have faced, particularly so now that overt White Supremacy is becoming mainstream right-wing politics again.  Brutality and injustice like this are the end result of traveling down that road.

Thanks for sharing this. Most of this board are not aware of the atrocities this country has done against black People just trying to live their lives. Many are also in denial. Glad NPR ran this story and you shared it.

29 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

@PeterMP

Personally, I still want to know what the people he had investigating it found that we wouldn't believe.”

when he said “they” he meant his supporters, and what they wouldn’t believe is that Obama was a natural citizen of the united states.

This is what white supremacist sympathizers would say, fyi.

3 hours ago, nonniey said:

Correct -  I think the only times they ever won was when they ran as Democrats.

Except for the Nazi that just won the Republican primary in Illinois this March...

• Neo-Nazi and Holocaust denier Arthur Jones won the Republican nomination for the 3rd Congressional District in Illinois.

The problem is that white supremacists aren’t shunned and ridiculed the way they should be.  I feel like 10-20 years ago, these people existed but didn’t display their disgusting views because they felt shame for it.  Nobody would stand for it.  Now, we have a president who doesn’t publicly denounce white supremacists and even gives them value with his stupid “both sides” comments.

These people should be shamed into non-existence.  That’s one problem with political correctness, it’s backfired in a way.  We are so concerned about being nice to each other that we haven’t even considered if we should be.

Take the Confederate flag, for instance.  People should be ashamed to fly it.  It’s a flag of a foreign nation that is counter to the United States interest, it represents oppression and white power.  People feel pride when flying the confederate flag when they should be shamed into keeping it out of sight.  They shouldn’t feel comfortable displaying their support for an enemy in public.

56 minutes ago, Burgold said:

Except for the Nazi that just won the Republican primary in Illinois this March...

• Neo-Nazi and Holocaust denier Arthur Jones won the Republican nomination for the 3rd Congressional District in Illinois.

Who did he defeat?

Did he get a participation trophy?

they ain't no except there, just a loser.

6 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

I remember reading about this, but I can’t remember if I learned about it from here. I was never taught this in school. 

It was intentionally forgotten.  It was an insane spasm of hatred and violence, committed mostly against the most prosperous black community in the country, with the aid of the State.  And after it was over, it was swept under the rug until the 90's.

We don't teach about the majority of social problems, nor about the bad **** we've done as a country in a standard grade school History education.  Particularly not in Red State America, where our history is intentionally white-washed.  I had a hippie History teacher in tenth grade who assigned us Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee for summer reading and that was a game changer for me.

Did you know that White supremacy was invented in America?  Specifically in Virginia colony, around the 1670's.  It was created by a planter elite to control restive lower class Whites.  Prior to Bacon's Rebellion, enslaved blacks actually had avenues to obtain freedom and social status and property and voting power.  We actively created the legal system and philosophy to establish and enforce White supremacy, it doesn't have some nebulous medieval origin in Pre-Columbian Europe.  White supremacy is a uniquely American social issue--our family disease.  It's the philosophy that undergirded the genocide of the Indians and the oppression of black Americans, and the philosophy that undergirds anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim sentiment today.  And one of the reasons White Supremacy is still alive and well today is because it's so poorly understood.  It's crimes and costs and origin, and even it's very presence in mainstream America today, are not well taught.

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It was intentionally forgotten.  It was an insane spasm of hatred and violence, committed mostly against the most prosperous black community in the country, with the aid of the State.  And after it was over, it was swept under the rug until the 90's.

We don't teach about the majority of social problems, nor about the bad **** we've done as a country in a standard grade school History education.  Particularly not in Red State America, where our history is intentionally white-washed.  I had a hippie History teacher in tenth grade who assigned us Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee for summer reading and that was a game changer for me.

Did you know that White supremacy was invented in America?  Specifically in Virginia colony, around the 1670's.  It was created by a planter elite to control restive lower class Whites.  Prior to Bacon's Rebellion, enslaved blacks actually had avenues to obtain freedom and social status and property and voting power.  We actively created the legal system and philosophy to establish and enforce White supremacy, it doesn't have some nebulous medieval origin in Pre-Columbian Europe.  White supremacy is a uniquely American social issue--our family disease.  It's the philosophy that undergirded the genocide of the Indians and the oppression of black Americans, and the philosophy that undergirds anti-immigrant and anti-Muslim sentiment today.  And one of the reasons White Supremacy is still alive and well today is because it's so poorly understood.  It's crimes and costs and origin, and even it's very presence in mainstream America today, are not well taught.

Hitler loved America and learned a lot from what we do.

6 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Think about if for a second what we're really dealing with, and if we can survive it.  We can, classism is the real problem.

White supremacy actually has it's origin in class conflict between Whites.  The real design of White supremacy has been, since the very beginning, to keep middle and lower class Whites hating someone other than upper class Whites.  To co-opt them into enforcing a social code that arbitrarily put someone below them so that they wouldn't actualize their demographic power and deal with the social injustice they faced by rebelling and attacking the rich like they did in Bacon's Rebellion.  Make poor whites despise black people and see them as something lower than you and they will serve as the militia that enforces the structure of your slave state.  Hunt down runaways, put down slave rebellions, etc.  Give them stake in preserving your society by being placed above another class within it.

It's important to note that the poor Whites who participated in Bacon's Rebellion were operating upon a different type of racial/ethnic superiority in philosophy.  They revolted because they wanted to wipe out the Indians and steal their land and the upper class Whites wouldn't let them because they wanted to cut off their expansion and social mobility.  Anti-Indian sentiment and racial conflict was rooted in traditional English ethnocentrism and the widespread belief within Christendom at the time that non-Christians were subhuman.

45 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It's crimes and costs and origin, and even it's very presence in mainstream America today, are not well taught.

Yep, we're always taught we were the good guys in school, another reason why people don't understand our real relationship with other countries, like Iran.

8 hours ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

You missed my point then, this is not good, but we're nowhere close to where we used to be. You think we've never had attacks on black churches before? You see another Tulsa Riot happening in our immediate future?  Keep this in context, people wigged out over Charleston, the internet is taking people that were there and putting it out so their employers know.  That guy going off about women speaking spanish in New York, how you think his life is going right now?  @Springfield is right, they aren't being shamed enough, and that starts at the top.

2 hours ago, twa said:

Who did he defeat?

Did he get a participation trophy?

they ain't no except there, just a loser.

If you don't like that as an example. How about Steve King, Jeff Sessions, or so many of the others? Racism is a very real and active force in the GOP. I wish it wasn't. I wish this was gamesmanship or imagination.

4 minutes ago, Burgold said:

If you don't like that as an example. How about Steve King, Jeff Sessions, or so many of the others? Racism is a very real and active force in the GOP. I wish it wasn't. I wish this was gamesmanship or imagination.

so you agree he is really a loser and a useful idiot for you? :)

Racist folk continue to be a problem but not limited to one party, race or ethnicity.

22 minutes ago, twa said:

so you agree he is really a loser and a useful idiot for you? :)

Racist folk continue to be a problem but not limited to one party, race or ethnicity.

I don't know yet. For the longest time, I was skeptical that Trump would win. He should have been a loser. He wasn't. Right now, the Republican candidate from Illinois is a Nazi. That makes us all losers.

As to your second question. Racism isn't unique to any party, social strata, or area of the country. However, racism has become a significant and epidemic plague within the modern Republican treatment. We see it in a rash of elected Republicans and a host of well-embraced candidates. We see it in the way they empower hate groups, white nationalists (which pretty much is a different way of saying racists), and alt righters (which may be a third way to accurately define modern racism). If the party does not start treatment soon it probably ought to be quarantined for the good of all.

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

The problem is that white supremacists aren’t shunned and ridiculed the way they should be.  I feel like 10-20 years ago, these people existed but didn’t display their disgusting views because they felt shame for it.  Nobody would stand for it.  Now, we have a president who doesn’t publicly denounce white supremacists and even gives them value with his stupid “both sides” comments.

These people should be shamed into non-existence.  That’s one problem with political correctness, it’s backfired in a way.  We are so concerned about being nice to each other that we haven’t even considered if we should be.

Take the Confederate flag, for instance.  People should be ashamed to fly it.  It’s a flag of a foreign nation that is counter to the United States interest, it represents oppression and white power.  People feel pride when flying the confederate flag when they should be shamed into keeping it out of sight.  They shouldn’t feel comfortable displaying their support for an enemy in public.

Telling a person how they should feel is an exercise in futility and only fans the flames of hatred.  Take the death of a spose, a cousin, a neighbor, a dog, an insect, or an unborn child.  Everyone mourns, or celebrates, differently in both method, length, and depth.  

People have different belief systems, education, and unique experiences that fuel their beliefs. For me, an abortion is nothing more than the expulsion of cells that we don't want.  

God?  I don't necessarily believe in a manevolant or benevolent God, nor heaven and hell.  

Dogs?  Vick should only now be getting out.

I think our future rests in the hands of education and the tolerance of different, even if radical, belief systems.  To that end, I will respect everyone's Constitutional right to enact change through our polititicians.  To spread hate through shaming a person's beliefs will only cause them to dig their heels in deeper and think you the moron for it.

Go Caps.

2 hours ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Hitler loved America and learned a lot from what we do.

I didn't know that, but it makes sense when you think about it.  He was trying to achieve the kind of continental population replacement that we did, and establish the kind of racially stratified hierarchies that we had here.  Specifically, he wanted to exterminate the Slavs and Jews of Eastern Europe to open up room for ethnic German settlers to replace them.  And he used ethnic minorities (and other vulnerable, low status populations) as political scapegoats to gain power and unify ethnic majorities behind his cause.

4 hours ago, Burgold said:

Huh so he is in office now? 

13 minutes ago, nonniey said:

Huh so he is in office now? 

Did you think this was a good point?

"REPUBLICANS" nominated a Nazi to be an elected official in the United States of America in the year 2018. Jesus Christ. The conditioned reflex to respond with nonsensical **** like this rather than do exactly what I said two posts ago is why your party is where it is... no accountability & no principals. Just mindless tribalism.

edit: Seriously, WHAT THE ****, MAN?!?! Actually stop and think about this for a second. A Nazi... An honest to God, card carrying Nazi won the Republican nomination. What kind of synaptically mis-wired minds has the GOP cultivated in it's base that they will reflexively defend something that is absolutely indefensible?

Archived