Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you see current society playing out? Headed towards Civil War Lite?

TheGreatBuzz

11 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Looking at what is going on in France now with their protests.  Getting pretty nasty.  Now imagine something like that here.  Except our population has a **** load of guns to add into the mix.

Frances unemployment rate is more then double ours is, that's a different situation.

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I'm sorry I can't find an exact comparison.  

That's important because the rhetoric in this country feels like more bark then bite compared to other countries actually going through civil wars, revolutions or straight anarchy.  I don't believe our country has it in us to ruin the good thing we got going because we have nothing to compare it to, we ah shucks at what goes on in other countries but don't really want that here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That's important because the rhetoric in this country feels like more bark then bite compared to other countries actually going through civil wars, revolutions or straight anarchy.  I don't believe our country has it in us to ruin the good thing we got going because we have nothing to compare it to, we ah shucks at what goes on in other countries but don't really want that here.

I think it is also important to note that at least most aren't predicting full civil war.  But you don't think there would be at least some large scale bloody violence?

1 minute ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

I think it is also important to note that at least most aren't predicting full civil war.  But you don't think there would be at least some large scale bloody violence?

No, you see how many people raised their hands at the Bernie Fox town hall for medicare for all?  Like a riot if Trump lost?  Where?  

If your asking if there will be more mass murders because of Trump loss, maybe, but if not the tip the scale into full blown chaos and civil war, what good would that do?  In other countries people think the election is stolen and take sides, but that's because they likely are.  That institution in this country is about as trustworthy as it gets.

16 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Like a riot if Trump lost?  Where?

Look at an election map.  See all the red places?  There.

17 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

If your asking if there will be more mass murders because of Trump loss, maybe,

Well that is certainly a part of what I'm asking. 

18 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

what good would that do?

Never said it would be good or useful. 

19 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That institution in this country is about as trustworthy as it gets.

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt. 

17 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Look at an election map.  See all the red places?  There.

Nebraska doesn't care about this stuff as much as some people on this board do.  There's articles and polls about that.

Well that is certainly a part of what I'm asking. 

That's so much different then what many of y'all are "predicting".

Never said it would be good or useful. 

You do realize that's why other countries do that, right?

Denial isn't just a river in Egypt. 

Name democratic transition system better then ours?  We've been peacefully transferring between political parties for years when some have never done that, ever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Name democratic transition system better then ours?  We've been peacefully transferring between political parties for years when some have never done that, ever.

You have arguably the most morally bankrupt person to ever hold the office. The only thing that's keeping him out of jail potentially is the presendency. I don't think it's out of the question that the peaceful transfer of power will end if he is voted out of office. The democratic transition of this nation has been the best in the world but given all of the other norms that are being broken folks need to see what's on the horizon here.

4 minutes ago, Isifhan said:

You have arguably the most morally bankrupt person to ever hold the office. The only thing that's keeping him out of jail potentially is the presendency. I don't think it's out of the question that the peaceful transfer of power will end if he is voted out of office. The democratic transition of this nation has been the best in the world but given all of the other norms that are being broken folks need to see what's on the horizon here.

Ya'll seriously believe Trump won't leave office?  You know why his subordinates didn't execute the orders that would've been clear obstruction of justice?  Because it made them uncomfortable and knew odds were they would get in trouble for it instead of getting away with it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Ya'll seriously believe Trump won't leave office?  You know why his subordinates didn't execute the orders that would've been clear obstruction of justice?  Because it made them uncomfortable and knew odds were they would get in trouble for it instead of getting away with it.

Dude is keeping kids locked up in cages. Do I think there's a chance he won't leave office? Yeah I'd say he doesn't give a **** about norms.

7 minutes ago, Isifhan said:

Dude is keeping kids locked up in cages. Do I think there's a chance he won't leave office? Yeah I'd say he doesn't give a **** about norms.

It doesn't matter what he wants its the people around him that matters.  Courts got in the way of him putting kids in cages, that's different then the killing some other governments do to stay in power, we are nothing like that.

17 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

It doesn't matter what he wants its the people around him that matters.  Courts got in the way of him putting kids in cages, that's different then the killing some other governments do to stay in power, we are nothing like that.

And yet there are still kids in cages and he continues to purge the people around him. How many acting positions are there again?

1 minute ago, Isifhan said:

And yet there are still kids in cages and he continues to purge the people around him. How many acting positions are there again?

C'mon, man, you say purge like he's sending them to the Gulag or something.  Are they putting new kids in cages?  From what I'm reading, 2,700 kids were detained like that before order to stop, and as of mid-2018 there were 500.  What is it now?

11 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I absolutely think he will leave office.  It's a matter of how.  And how his mouth breathing supporters will react.

Though if he gets one more spot on the SC I could see him finding a way to at least delay leaving. 

Edited by TheGreatBuzz
Spelling

2 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

So what is your prediction?  Look at not only trump but society in general.  What do you see happening over the next few years?  

When we first talked, we agreed to bump this thread after the midterms.  America put it's vote where its mouth was, blue wave actually happened.  I can see the next president trying to implement policies the GOP and Fox rally against but then can't get rid of, like preexisting conditions.  The real threat is democracy is in retreat and i don't believe that can be fully addressed in next few years, our house is that messed up right now, gonna take time.

Edited by Renegade7

Man, I wish I could agree with Renegade that our system of election was especially trustworthy, but the last four years have opened my eyes to the foreign tampering, voter suppression and gerrymandering running rampant in this country. That's a huge fissure in this country's foundation that many would view as a good excuse for civil war. 

As we all know, those who denied collusion and voter suppression will gladly change positions if their team loses. It's just a matter of results. 

There is nothing about our system that should be trusted anymore. 

After all we have seen, after all they do, after everything he's said..  to be so naive as to just expect it all to go according to the expected plan peaceably is something i do not understand.

I will play my part, i will vote and hope it all works as it should.

But the GOP and Trump in particular have done nothing BUT erode our institutions, they have done nothing BUT ignore the rule of law, and worse, cultivated in their base a sense that the laws should be destroyed in order to further consolidate power. that they deserve it, and worse, need to to fend off the evil liberals who they have been convinced will destroy everything they love. Everything,, right on down to the steak they eat. (these people are being convinced that science wants to kill their children with vaccines. NOTHING is too low for them to believe. They are so well conditioned by 25 years of propaganda that they will literally believe ANYTHING.)

for 20+ years it has been a scorched earth policy of zero compromise, and worse, creating a very real sense that a person with political differences is someone trying to destroy the country, destroy god, take guns, burn the constitution, kill children,, every single ****ing boogeyman that can be conjured to de-humanize anyone not toe-ing their line has been conjured without shame or need for reason.

They have given absolutely no reason to believe they will do anything the right way. They have given EVERY indication that massing power and keeping it by any means necessary is the goal, including the President himself saying out loud in public multiple times that he thinks his being President for Life is a good idea.. making public threats from his "bikers and his police" to beat up democrats and anyone else not supporting him,, or as he puts it, "destroying America". "i don't know folks,, i don't know".. when he says that, he is making a THREAT. Pay attention to him.

"Just because" is no reason to expect they will do anything but what they have been saying they will do,, and ARE doing. (How do you like their new fast-track to judgeship?  That wasn't in the rules. But they have changed it to suit them and stack the deck. 

I've been in plenty of fights..  and in most of them, you know its going to happen. in most of them, you try to keep it from happening, but you fill your hands anyway. 

Fill your hands. You can always put whatever it is back down. But you best be ready.I mean, they are telling you what they will do. Listen to them.

~Bang

Edited by Bang

20 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

When we first talked, we agreed to bump this thread after the midterms.  America put it's vote where its mouth was, blue wave actually happened.  I can see the next president trying to implement policies the GOP and Fox rally against but then can't get rid of, like preexisting conditions.  The real threat is democracy is in retreat and i don't believe that can be fully addressed in next few years, our house is that messed up right now, gonna take time.

Go read the twitter posts that @The Evil Genius made in the Fixing The Republican Party thread by the Washington state legislator.  And read the threads below them.  Still sticking with your predictions?

EDIT:  Why did they get rid of the post numbers?  It made it so much easier to refer to a specific post.  And I don't know how to quote a post in a different thread.

Edited by TheGreatBuzz

2 hours ago, Bang said:

every single ****ing boogeyman that can be conjured to de-humanize anyone not toe-ing their line has been conjured without shame or need for reason.

This is the scariest thing.  Once you can dehumanize a group it's just a small step to do things to them you would have before listed as inhumane.  It sneaks up on people and in the aftermath we wonder how normal everyday people could commit such atrocities.  I hope it doesn't play out like that.  I think 2020 will tell a lot.