Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Miami Herald: I’m done trying to understand Trump supporters. Why don’t they try to understand me?

On 3/26/2024 at 2:02 PM, PleaseBlitz said:

Wouldn't this work against the Fox News argument that Joe Biden is responsible for inflation?  Are they suggesting that the Biden Administration caused a Singaporean cargo ship to have a fire and crash into a bridge?

Yes. Yes they are.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/03/27/politics-baltimore-bridge-collapse-republican-conspiracy/

• Haha 1

Truth Social Won’t Bail Donald Trump Out

To a casual observer, it may seem that Donald Trump’s bet to build up his own social network—after getting booted from his own “beautiful Twitter account” post-insurrection—may have literally paid off. On Tuesday, shares in Trump Media & Technology Group, the parent entity for the ex-president’s homegrown Truth Social platform, began trading on the NASDAQ after the company’s successful merger with a highly capitalized special purpose acquisition company, or SPAC, known as Digital World Acquisition Corp. Debuting on the charts with a “DJT” ticker, Trump Media saw a 55 percent surge in valuation right after markets opened.

Huge influx of cash, right? With Trump holding about 79 million shares, equating to 58 percent of available stock, the SPAC debut balloons his net worth by nearly $5 billion; there were about 136 million shares outstanding post-merger. What a turnaround, right after the lamestream media kept claiming that Trump was in the tank! Another genius business move from the Donald, right in time for him to cover his somewhat discounted legal bills!

Except … not really, because a lot of what’s powered this first-day boom is not super tenable in the longer term—much like Truth Social’s business itself.

To put it simply: The success of Trump Media’s public debut has less to do with its viability as an enterprise and more to do with the fandom surrounding that famous name. Before going public, this company was far from profitable: Truth Social itself only garnered $3.38 million in total revenue over the first three quarters of 2023—and lost $49 million over that same period, with over half of that loss occurring in the third quarter. Per Axios: “The company’s cash-on-hand dwindled to just $1.8 million at the end of September … while its total liabilities climbed nearly 72% to $60.5 million.” (Digital World’s pre-merger federal filings noted that “management has substantial doubt that [Trump Media] will have sufficient funds to meet its liabilities as they fall due.”) Considering that Truth Social remains a free platform that’s financially dependent on ads convincing users to buy, uh, collectible gold coins of Trump’s mug shot and pillows manufactured owned by a broke election denier, there’s no real financial lifeline on the horizon. And there are no incentives for more lucrative advertisers, seeing as the 2-year-old platform only commands about 5 million active users, has lost 39 percent of its active user base over the past year, and has persistently seen reduced traffic and download numbers from its peak, per CNN Business.

As I noted last year, those pitiful earnings represent a steep drop from the hundreds of millions of dollars that Digital World Acquisition had raised from investors, some of whom yanked out their commitments before the merger. Bloomberg reported Monday that some initial DWAC investors were so bearish that they redeemed their shares before the merger was approved, taking a 75 percent loss on those investments. In other words: The company is a financial mess.

You may be wondering just whence that staggering valuation arises, then. There are a couple factors at play here—namely, rich friends and then retail-level suckers.

Click on the link for the full article 

• Like 1

'It's the End Times': Mike Lindell says God will rapture him over voting machines

MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell this week said God could initiate the End Times if he is unable to abolish voting machines.

On his FrankSpeech platform, Lindell referred to a Georgia court case about voting machines.

"And you'd think that would be the number one story in the world," Lindell said. "Because what's happened in our country, and I told our real president [Donald Trump] this, here's a bucket. Call this the bucket of common sense."

"Everybody is jumping into this bucket of common sense," he continued. "They look for Jesus when things are going bad. They're praying, and they're jumping in this bucket, and they never get out."

Lindell called his voting machine crusade "the greatest revival in history for Jesus Christ."

"And I tell people, we're in a win-win situation," he explained. "If everything I'm fighting for, if we don't save our country, it's the End Times, we all go to heaven as believers. It's a win-win. Everybody's got to embrace it."

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, China said:

'It's the End Times': Mike Lindell says God will rapture him over voting machines

MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell this week said God could initiate the End Times if he is unable to abolish voting machines.

On his FrankSpeech platform, Lindell referred to a Georgia court case about voting machines.

"And you'd think that would be the number one story in the world," Lindell said. "Because what's happened in our country, and I told our real president [Donald Trump] this, here's a bucket. Call this the bucket of common sense."

"Everybody is jumping into this bucket of common sense," he continued. "They look for Jesus when things are going bad. They're praying, and they're jumping in this bucket, and they never get out."

Lindell called his voting machine crusade "the greatest revival in history for Jesus Christ."

"And I tell people, we're in a win-win situation," he explained. "If everything I'm fighting for, if we don't save our country, it's the End Times, we all go to heaven as believers. It's a win-win. Everybody's got to embrace it."

Welp. There it is. He's done it. Mike Lindell has finally made me actually wish that their God exists. Whooda ever thunk it possible?

8 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

And I'm skeptical that Junior doesn't have cocaine-induced damage to his brain.

Side note:  when I googled to find that article, the first thing that came up in the Google search results was  "Help is Available" with a suicide and crisis hotline number.  Maybe someone can send that to Junior.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

I’ve read stories about the current phenomenon of stay-at-girlfriends. So they do exist.

Perhaps it’s not a female problem… and more just a YOU problem. Women just don’t find you desirable.

Maybe Chet should try sucking *ick.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Trump’s Supporters and Their Threats of Violence Against Any Who Stand Up to Him

Donald Trump and his sons put a bullseye on the Hispanic daughter of New York Supreme Court Judge Juan Merchan this week, identifying her by name and picture in repeated posts on his Nazi-infested social media site. Predictably, she’s now receiving threats of violence, as is her Colombian-born father.

The stock-in-trade of fascists is violence and the threat of violence.

When he was rising to power in Hungary, for example, Victor Orbàn’s right-hand-man led a torchlight march into a Budapest Roma neighborhood threatening to burn the “gypsies”—who fled in terror—out of their homes. More recently, Orbán started arresting people who “defamed” him on social media.

Fascist movements within democracies are always minority movements and have been throughout history, from Mussolini and Hitler to Pinochet and Putin. Because they’re minority movements, fascists always use violence to cow enough people that legitimate political challenges to them quietly die.

We’re seeing this exact phenomenon today across America in response to Donald Trump’s fascist MAGA movement. While he recruited people to violate the law with his “fake electors” scheme in seven states (Arizona, Georgia, Michigan, Nevada, New Mexico, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin) only Fani Willis in Georgia has had the courage to criminally prosecute him for that crime.

She’s not only receiving regular threats of violence in a state with a long history of lynching and political assassinations; now Jim Jordan is trying to drag her through the mud in Washington, DC, after rightwing Georgia Judge Scott McAfee allowed weeks of baseless, nationally-televised character assassination.

Similarly, although Trump’s apparently committed massive bank, tax, and insurance frauds in multiple states, only Letitia James in New York had the courage to prosecute him and his company. She and her family have also received death threats and other promises of violence.

Just this week, Trump promised to pull a Hitler on her, saying that if he’s back in the White House he’s going to drag her up on charges. His lawyer, Alina Habba, told Fox “News”:

“Letitia James is not going to get away with it. We will come at them. We will come hard and we will literally fight until the truth comes out.”

Literally fight? Yeah, violence and the language of violence are, as I said, the stock-in-trade of fascists.

The legal ground in Washington, DC is littered with Trump’s crimes: blatant violations of the Constitution’s Emoluments Clause (which is the supreme law of our land), the Hatch Act (5 years in prison), and campaign finance laws. So far, the only person with the courage to prosecute him for his campaign finance violations has been Manhattan DA Alvin Bragg.

So, of course, Bragg has also, along with his family, received multiple death threats and promises of violent retribution for daring to charge Trump with the crimes we all saw him commit. It’s got to be both terrifying and exhausting to take on the leader of today’s American fascist movement.

Every time Trump has been challenged, from legal challenges to the January 6th Committee investigators, he has tried to incite violence against the prosecutors, judges, witnesses, legislators, staffers, and potential jurors.

This is what fascists always do.

Click on the link for more

• Like 1
  • Thumb down 1