Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Miami Herald: I’m done trying to understand Trump supporters. Why don’t they try to understand me?

Trump sues ABC News and George Stephanopoulos for defamation over Nancy Mace interview

Former President Donald Trump filed yet another lawsuit against the news media late Monday, accusing ABC News and George Stephanopoulos of defamation over assertions the anchor made in a combative interview.

In an interview on “This Week,” Stephanopoulos pressed Republican Rep. Nancy Mace, a rape survivor, over her continued support of Trump after a jury found he sexually abused writer E. Jean Carroll in 1996, awarding her $88 million for battery and defamation. Stephanopoulos asserted multiple times in the interview with Mace that Trump had “raped” Carroll.

“You endorsed Donald Trump for president. Judges and two separate juries have found him liable for rape and for defaming the victim of that rape. How do you square your endorsement of Donald Trump with the testimony that we just saw?” Stephanopoulos asked Mace.

The South Carolina Republican defended her support of the former president, arguing that the jury decision was merely in a civil case. “It was not a criminal court case, number one,” she told Stephanopoulos. “Number two, I live with shame. And you’re asking me a question about my political choices trying to shame me as a rape victim.”

While a Manhattan federal jury last year found that Trump had sexually abused Carroll, sufficient to hold him liable for battery, the jury did not find that she proved he had raped her. Dismissing a countersuit months later, however, the judge in the case concluded that the claim Trump raped Carroll was “substantially true.”

“Indeed, the jury’s verdict in Carroll II establishes, as against Mr Trump, the fact that Mr Trump ‘raped her’, albeit digitally rather than with his penis. Thus, it establishes against him the substantial truth of Ms Carroll’s ‘rape’ accusations,” Judge Lewis Kaplan wrote.

Click on the link for the full article

Why Trump’s case against George Stephanopoulos is politically risky

The New York Times reported:

Former President Donald J. Trump filed a defamation lawsuit against ABC News on Monday, arguing that the anchor George Stephanopoulos had harmed his reputation by saying multiple times on-air that Mr. Trump had been found liable for raping the writer E. Jean Carroll.

Legal experts can speak with more authority than I can about the case’s prospects — though given recent history, the former president and his followers should probably keep their expectations low — but I wonder if Team Trump appreciates the political risk it’s taking.

For one thing, there's not much of an upside for a presidential candidate to effectively argue, "I was held liable for sexual assault, not rape, even if a judge said there's little meaningful difference between the two given the details of the case."

For another, the “Streisand Effect“ keeps coming to mind.

Remember, recent polling suggests many Republican voters have no idea that Trump was recently held liable for sexual abuse. The more the former president goes after Stephanopoulos and ABC, the more likely it is that voters will hear about the case — in an election year — which is the opposite of what the presumptive GOP nominee should want.

Click on the link for the rest

• Like 2

Jesse Watters Has Really Dumb ‘Proof’ That Trump Loves Hispanics More Than Biden

“The Five” cohost Jeanine Pirro had blasted Biden’s “mighty desperate” plea for Hispanic support on radio and at a Mexican restaurant in Arizona this week. The president reminded listeners of Trump’s bigoted name-calling of migrants as far back as 2016 and his recent statement that immigrants were poisoning the blood of the country. “I need you badly,” Biden told the voters, drawing parallels between his Irish heritage and Latinos.

Pirro passed the baton to Watters, who called Biden’s attempt to reach those voters “pretty pathetic.”

Then he offered his seemingly serious theory, presumably about the taco bowls sold at Trump Grill in Trump Tower. (Yes, the same taco bowl that Trump once used to declare his love for Latinos.)

“One word ― actually two, judge ― taco bowls,” Watters said, apparently without a hint of irony. “Donald Trump sells taco bowls. They’re the greatest taco bowls you’ve ever eaten. I’ve tried them. They’re delicious. Does Joe Biden sell taco bowls? No. His family thinks Mexican Americans are tacos.”

Click on the link for more of the nonsense

• Haha 2

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

I love that he started with “one word.”  Like he thought for a second that tacobowl was one word, or alternatively just is a moron. 

More likely?  

When he said "one word"?  He hadn't actually thought of any, and was stalling.  

Trump Media merger wins investor approval, netting Trump a potential windfall

Shareholders voted Friday to take former president Donald Trump’s media company public, a long-delayed move that will open the owner of Truth Social to stock-market investors and grant Trump a stake worth billions of dollars he could use to pay down his legal debts.

The vote Friday by investors in Digital World Acquisition authorized the special purpose acquisition company, or SPAC, to merge with Trump Media & Technology Group as part of a process that will avoid a more traditional public offering.

Trump will own about 60 percent of the company, which at Digital World’s current share price would be worth about $3.3 billion. He and other investors could earn tens of millions more shares through an “earnout” provision tied to the stock’s performance, Digital World said in a Securities and Exchange Commission filing.

Digital World raised $300 million from investors that will carry over to Trump Media. But some of that money will go toward the SPAC’s more than $60 million in liabilities as well an $18 million settlement with the SEC, which Digital World agreed to last year after regulators charged it with misleading investors about its merger plans.

Trump’s allies and company executives will be granted bundles of shares in the new company that could be worth millions of dollars. But trading on the stock market will also open the company to more public scrutiny, and any drops in share prices would affect the value of those stakes.

Digital World’s share price fell as much as 12 percent Friday and was down 8 percent within the last hour of trading.

Because Trump will be given roughly 78 million shares in the company, the falling share price for him was equivalent to a roughly $280 million loss.

Critics have said Trump Media is a “meme stock” with a more than $6 billion valuation they say is out of sync with its financial outlook. Trump Media lost $49 million in the first nine months of last year and brought in $3.4 million in revenue, Digital World said in an SEC filing.

Click on the link for the full article

So will the stock crater before Trump can get his money out in 6 months?

5 minutes ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Yknow…it just might cause a ripple or two in the supply chain tho.

Second clip not as bad. Probably will affect supply chains. Probably not affecting inflation though.

Edited by Cooked Crack