Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The ES Heavy Metal Thread

JCB

Let's do this!

Seems like there's enough metalheads on ES to get the ball rolling. I'm currently listening to some old Mercyful Fate, and I figured why not.

What's everyone rocking out to lately?

I've been unable to stay away from this album for too long since it came out last year.  A lot of incredible vocalists featured on the album with an interesting Sci-fi story about a world taken over by machines and the few people who manage to escape the apocalypse to another planet.  Flows in nearly seemlessly to an album released nine years before that this is a prequel to.

This is from a new band's debut album released a few months ago that I haven't been able to get out of my head:

I saw Power Trip with Obituary and Exodus (if I'm not getting the shows mixed up). The vocalist for Power Trip was doing crazy high legs kicks on stage, almost went full Van Damme on his lead guitarists dome lol. Obituary stole the show that night.

Going to see Tesseract in a couple weeks, which should be sweet.

And of course the big show with Testament. Chuck Billy is insanely perfect live.

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 3:09 PM, No Excuses said:

A band I am really into these days is Periphery. They are maybe one of the few current metal bands who I like. Otherwise, I think I’m recycling a lot of material from 90s and 2000s from bands like Nevermore and Opeth.

Nevermore was so great.  I had totally missed it until a few weeks ago, but Warrel Dane passed in December.  Freaking sucks.  Jeff Loomis plays guitar for Arch Enemy now, which I suppose is cool, but I kind of feel like his talent is wasted on that band (not that I don't like them).  At The Gates has a new album dropping next month that I'm pretty excited for, although it will be their first without Anders Bjorler so I'm holding my breath a little bit.  I thought At War With Reality was really solid considering it was their first album in almost 20 years.

10 hours ago, HooHog said:

Nevermore was so great.  I had totally missed it until a few weeks ago, but Warrel Dane passed in December.  Freaking sucks.  Jeff Loomis plays guitar for Arch Enemy now, which I suppose is cool, but I kind of feel like his talent is wasted on that band (not that I don't like them).  At The Gates has a new album dropping next month that I'm pretty excited for, although it will be their first without Anders Bjorler so I'm holding my breath a little bit.  I thought At War With Reality was really solid considering it was their first album in almost 20 years.

Loomis is gawd.

Nevernore forever.

• Like 1

I saw the KillThrax tour twice in the past year or so.  I'm old school Anthrax guy, so it was great.  I tried listening to Killswitch prior to the first show and just hated it.  Then I saw them live, and was blown away.  They were incredible.

So I tried to listen to them again after.  Yeah, still hate them otherwise.

Slayer's final tour is here in June, I'll be going.