Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The ES Heavy Metal Thread

JCB

Speaking of Enslaved:

Old Opeth is probably my favorite band of all time. But, their last three albums have been hit and miss. I don't mind that Akerfeldt doesn't growl anymore, but at least do some more upbeat songs like Era:

Also, Primus is great live. Saw them with Mastodon and they did a lot of jamming. They did so much, even my wife who loves Primus complained about it.

So, cool little story since I saw Anciients posted in here. My wife and  I went to Chattanooga a couple years ago for a quick getaway. We were looking for something to do and went into a small dog pet store. Everything is nice and pretty. I walk to the back and for some reason check out their board with advertisements. Low and behold in three hours Lamb of God was playing within walking distance. My wife's favorite band.

So, of course we walk over and buy tickets. Some guys were standing out front and asked if we liked LOG. I said Opeth was more my style. They said to make sure I watched Anciients. They were badass. Bought their album the next day.

This Sunday I will see the Slayer tour. Little bumbed that Chris Adler won't be on drums. But, I usually don't pay attention to LOG anyways. They are a pit band for me.

Edited by Fan since a Fetus
  • Like 1

Went to see Revolution 3 tour last night.

Opening act was a Vegas band called The Dirty Hooks.  They sound exactly like every other millenial rock band.  Stone Temple Pilots were next, they were surprisingly good.  New singer has a lower range, but they were solid and their new songs are pretty good.  Then the band I was really there to see, The Cult.  They were good.  Not great.  But outside amphitheater sound system affected them.  Ian Astbury is still a great front man.  They played a good mix of songs from most of their albums.  Bush was last, so we left early.  

Going to see The Alarm next tuesday and Steel ****ing Panther next Thursday!  And apparently my wife bought tickets for Def Leppard/Journey next weekend.  That's a fun drink beer singalong evening.

Had a chance to see Godsmack and Shinedown last night. I'll leave Shinedown out because my connection with them is more about having similar life experiences to Brent Smith before he got clean, but I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Godsmack. I don't think I'll ever listen to them on a regular basis, but Sully was of course plastered and his drunk ramblings actually made me laugh. I was also a little surprised that in a place like KC the crowd was much more hyped for Shinedown. 

Side note, Pandora needs to stop associating Otep and In This Moment with nonsense like Halestorm and Paramore. Not a thing in common outside of female vocals. 

26 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

I can't stand pandering lyrics that rehash the same subject over and over and over and over again. Yes, angry sex is a thing. How many friggin songs can you write about it?!

It's weirder when you know that the vocalist's brother is the drummer, and her father used to be the bassist.  "Don't mind me, I'm just keeping the rhythm as my daughter sings about having rough sex".

33 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

The quality of “Metal” discussed in this thread had really taken a nosedive recently.

I take the blame.  I associate all hard rock with Metal, and took the opportunity to talk about concerts as well.

And I think Halestorm kicks ass.  Just got tickets for December.

Edited by Kilmer17

2 minutes ago, Berggy9598 said:

If you made a thread for every genre and sub-genre I listen to the board would collapse my music taste is pathologically eclectic. 

Mine too. I'm everywhere from Keith Urban to the Partridge Family. I decide what I want to hear as it hits me.