Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The ES Heavy Metal Thread

JCB

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The women of Iran's underground metal scene

Iran might seem an unlikely hotbed of heavy metal music, especially as western pop has been officially banned there since the Islamic revolution of 1979. Yet despite the risk of floggings and long jail terms, the genre continues to thrive in secret underground venues.

Some of the biggest names in the country’s heavy metal scene are women, despite the fact that they’re forbidden from singing publicly, except in choirs or female-only company. A new short film entitled Forbidden to See Us Scream in Tehran highlights the danger they face.

Click on the link for the video

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Sadly this thread doesn’t get much use, anyway….

not really digging Wilderun anymore or a few of the other bands I posted. some guys sound great to me initially and then I get bored with their stuff really quick.

However, I just came across these guys a couple of days ago. This has to be one of my favorite new bands out there. The ending reminds me a little of Strapping Young Lad’s ****storm. They have 3 albums, but their new one “All That Was Promised” is the best:

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm here to inflict more of my metal upon you all.  Some backstory for this track:
At the end of Gloryhammer's last album, Prince Angus McFife XIII was stabbed by the knife of evil while saving the universe from the evil wizard Zargothrax, and he descended into a fiery volcano to sacrifice himself before he could be corrupted by the cursed blade.

In the real world, the band's singer, Thomas Winkler, who portrays Angus McFife, was kicked out of the band quite unceremoniously and lot's of drama ensued.  Thomas said "screw you guys, I am Angus McFife; I'll make my own Gloryhammer".  So here's his first single for his new band, Angus McSix, in which he is implying that Angus McFife XIII survived the volcano and now he's back as Angus McSix.  Video starts off with him wearing his old armor and a knock-off astral hammer before tossing them away for some new duds and a sword.

Edited by PokerPacker

• 3 weeks later...

I just saw that Russkaja, a metal/ska/Russian folk band, broke up the other week.  They dropped a new album and the same day announced they were disbanding because they didn't want to continue associating themselves with the Soviet imagery that they'd built their band around due to Russia's ongoing war in Ukraine.

https://russkaja.com/the-end

This song feels like an appropriate one to post given the change the band members are going to have to go through after 18 years.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

One of the few times you can judge a book by its cover. I honestly don't know if this is a particular sub-genre of black metal...maybe something like "nightmare/abyss/esoteric"...either way, I've been listening to Akhlys for a few years now along with the side projects Aoratos and Nightbringer.

• 4 months later...