Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The ES Heavy Metal Thread

JCB

A genius among metal and industrial music, Tristan Shone, discussing his "band" called Author & Punisher. He makes everything himself. I believe he toured with Tool recently. Anyway, he creates the heaviest sound in the known universe. * Edit - I should add that if you have the right set up and bass in your car, truck, etc. (or doorless Jeep in my case) you will shake every other car around you off the road.

Edited by Metalhead

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Probably one of the better covers I've heard.  Didn't know Fishbone was still around.  Loved these guys back in the 90s and saw them live a couple times.  Glad they're still around.  Fish is still one the best metal drummers out there.  Makes me want to back and listen to "Give a Monkey a Brain.."

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, HooHog said:

RIP Alexi Laiho.  

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/04/entertainment/alexi-laiho-children-of-bodom-death-intl-scli/index.html

I know CoB might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but their first four albums were hugely impactful on me as I expanded my range in metal.  Absolute virtuoso on guitar.  One of the all-timers.

Not a Children Of Bodem fan, but I was familiar with his talent.  I probably was most familiar with him because of some of the work he did with Warmen.  I also remember him being one of the 12 guitarists on 12 Donkeys.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been having a hard time finding newer bands that I like. I want that feeling when I first heard Devin Townsend's - Terria, Porcupine Tree's - Signify, Opeth's - Still Life and a few others. I haven't had an album on repeat since about 2006? It was Porcupine Tree's - Fear of a Blank Planet. While I know Porcupine Tree aren't heavy metal, I just want that emotional connection to the music. I'm just not getting that anymore. I listen a lot, and I listen to tons of new bands, but there just isn't an emotional connection to anyone.

Gojira's - Another World was just another Gojira song. But, Born for One Thing is badass. Plus JoeGira is letting his hair grow out again - that's not a bad thing.

Some newer bands I'm enjoying:

New album by Baest today. A lot thrown into this 4 1/2 minute song

I'm liking DVNE. I'm interested in their future. They seem like they are heavily influenced by Mastodon.

I don't think many people know about Garganjua. They do the clean vocals and growl thing, but they're music is close to doom territory.

A little black metal:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

New Gojira album is a 10/10. 

A single album with this many bangers should not be allowed. 

Amazonia -> The Sphinx -> Hold On 

The opening riff for the Sphinx is just *chefs kiss* amazing.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

New Gojira album is a 10/10. 

A single album with this many bangers should not be allowed. 

Amazonia -> The Sphinx -> Hold On 

The opening riff for the Sphinx is just *chefs kiss* amazing.

Agreed.  Gojira never fails.

Cant wait to catch em live again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...