Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins receiving corp is beginning to shape up

Burgold

12 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

So, how many and which teams do have a worse WR corps anyway? 

So, how many and which teams do have a worse WR corpse anyway? 

Arizona and SF are in the mix, and maybe Tennessee. Way to go Titans!  We need that Amari pickup to fail miserably.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Eagles felt undermanned at Wr with a WR crew that IMO was superior to ours.  And they were the ones that shot for the upgrade with Tate who IMO is better than any receiver we have.

Yep. Buddy told me the Saints are hunting around for Dez now too. Guess elite QBs need better WRs too sometimes. 

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

To add insult to injury, I hope we don't see D. Jax burn our secondary the way he would here to his former team. 

This made me most sad. I was good with getting HHCD like that, but I most wanted to see a trade for DJack. I'd have gone as high as a 3rd rd pick for him. :( 

3 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Arizona and SF are in the mix, and maybe Tennessee. Way to go Titans!  We need that Amari pickup to fail miserably.

I would take Marquise Goodwin over any 2 of the WRs at the top of the depth chart. Seriously. He's really good, and that deep speed is top shelf. I can't even think of who AZ has, other than Fitz. 

2 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Looking at the WR depth charts, I have to say we definitively have the worst WR depth chart in the league.  Arizona at least has Fitz, who still performs at a high level, but Christian Kirk is a nice rookie there.  SF has Garcon and Goodwin, which I would swap outright for Doctson and Richardson/Harris.  Both those situations suffer more from QB play than WR.

Tennessee and Dallas are the only ones that comes close.  Cooper might be enough to push Dallas up a little because he at least has the potential to deliver a big game.

8 minutes ago, justice98 said:

Looking at the WR depth charts, I have to say we definitively have the worst WR depth chart in the league.  Arizona at least has Fitz, who still performs at a high level, but Christian Kirk is a nice rookie there.  SF has Garcon and Goodwin, which I would swap outright for Doctson and Richardson/Harris.  Both those situations suffer more from QB play than WR.

Tennessee and Dallas are the only ones that comes close.  Cooper might be enough to push Dallas up a little because he at least has the potential to deliver a big game.

Thanks for the insight. Kirk was the name I forgot in AZ. Garcon has not been as expected in SF, but a lot of that has been on Beathard and even Jimmy G for not throwing accurate passes to him. Even at his age, I'd have Garcon on the field instead of Doctson, tbh. 

I actually like Dallas' now trio of Cooper, Beasley, and young Gallup. Much rather have that group right now.. though it's not what I'd call a huge margin of superiority. (looking beyond current Redskins' injuries)

I don't really know how good that young WR Davis is for Titans... and I recognize not one other named WR they have.

52 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

Yep. Buddy told me the Saints are hunting around for Dez now too. Guess elite QBs need better WRs too sometimes. 

I've never argued they don't.  I think two things can be true.  A. Alex struggling.  B.  Receivers are mediocre.   Is there overlap and crossover with the two points?  Sure.  But what got me a bit sour on Alex's play was Cooley's film break down which made me watch some coaches tape and see for myself receivers getting open and Alex not throwing to them and or just being flat out inaccurate at times with open receivers.  And I am still not in the mix of the crowd who thinks this is Alex's ceiling, still hoping and think improvement could be coming.  And agree injuries and this FO hasn't made it easier for him. 

I am not in the camp that some here on which is that its a waste to load Alex up on weapons because it won't matter.  IMO they are wrong.  Every QB does better with better weapons.  Heck the mighty Aaron Rodgers complained an off season ago that he needed more weapons.

So if the argument is the passing weapons on this team is pathetic and Alex would play better if that's fixed.  I agree with you.  But he needs to play better, too.  And I know not everybody feels that way but I don't get that as to the weapons won't matter.

52 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

This made me most sad. I was good with getting HHCD like that, but I most wanted to see a trade for DJack. I'd have gone as high as a 3rd rd pick for him. :(

Me, too. I clamored for it before the trade deadline.  I almost doubled down it on the FA thread after the deadline because I was thinking it which is Richardson is banged up what happens if they actually lose him?  I didn't want to rain on the Clinton-Dix parade because i liked the move.  But the more I digested it, the more I thought geez they should have gotten Tate or D. Jax. They had enough picks to do a S and WR.  

If Thompson isn't on the field what player freaks out opposing defenses?  It used to be Jordan Reed, too.  Hopefully, that's coming.  I wonder if the toe injuries has effected his speed.  Jordan has been decent.  But when Jordan is right, he's better than decent, he's special.  And he hasn't looked that way, yet.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Maybe the Jets?  They really don't have a #1 guy.  Not that we do either.  

31 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

I actually like Dallas' now trio of Cooper, Beasley, and young Gallup. Much rather have that group right now.. though it's not what I'd call a huge margin of superiority. (looking beyond current Redskins' injuries)

I'd agree definitely better than our receivers.  I don't think its even that close -- maybe pre Cooper it was

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Maybe the Jets?  They really don't have a #1 guy.  Not that we do either.  

I'd agree definitely better than our receivers.  I don't think its even that close -- maybe pre Cooper it was

Thanks for your thoughts on it.. and the Jets heads-up too. I remember the name Robby Anderson flashing some, but can't say I really know for sure what he's about. I liked Kearse as a weapon in Seattle, but no idea what's become of him these days. Enunwa is another name maybe flashing here or there, but like Anderson, can't really say. I remember liking Burnett as a prospect, but again, dunno if he's even played a down. 

Fitz is not really playing at a high level IMO, but that could be the lame duck QB factor in play. Or, father time is tick tocking away.  He has gotten > 10 fantasy points just once this year.  Josh for all the grief he takes still had 6 TDs last year, same as Fitz on presume far less targets. Goodwin owners know he needs a TD to be starting viable, topping 12 points just once this year. He has been targeted more than 4 times this year just... twice. He may be getting stuffed at the LOS?

Again, possibly the QB thing, but then eventually, our QB is holding back our WRs as well. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

Thanks for your thoughts on it.. and the Jets heads-up too. I remember the name Robby Anderson flashing some, but can't say I really know for sure what he's about. I liked Kearse as a weapon in Seattle, but no idea what's become of him these days. Enunwa is another name maybe flashing here or there, but like Anderson, can't really say. I remember liking Burnett as a prospect, but again, dunno if he's even played a down. 

Anderson is a good deep threat.  Seems to be a bit of a head case though.  None of them are on pace to even hit 50 receptions right now.  Though their yard per reception aren't bad.  Kearse isn't bad.  But they remind me of our receivers.  Anderson like Richardson is a poor man's D. Jax/Hill.  They got a couple of other guys who are OK, not bad. 

I am not even one of the Doctson haters here.  I think he still has a shot to develop.  But he doesn't look right now anywhere near a #1 WR  probably not a #2 either yet.  Richardson i like more than most, he's though to me more like a #3.    Crowder is a good slot receiver when healthy and right but nothing special.    IMO you can't have a receiving crew without even a legit #2 let alone without a #1.  

This receiving crew is a mess.  I've heard good things about Quinn, supposedly he's a good blocker too.  I think he's back against the Texans.  Maybe he helps some.

Ironically, i was just listening to Paulsen on 106.7 who knows Kirk well.  And he repeated a conversation he had with him last year and he told him without the deep threat and the injuries what happened was that teams were just sitting on the underneath stuff.  To that point, you don't have a deep threat now.  And you don't have a YAC guy either who take an underneath pass and create havoc.  That's why to me getting Thompson back is so key.  He's the only dude who can take a short pass and do something with it.  Maybe Peterson, too because he's not known as a pass catcher. 

17 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Ironically, i was just listening to Paulsen on 106.7 who knows Kirk well.  And he repeated a conversation he had with him last year and he told him without the deep threat and the injuries what happened was that teams were just sitting on the underneath stuff.  To that point, you don't have a deep threat now.  And you don't have a YAC guy either who take an underneath pass and create havoc.  That's why to me getting Thompson back is so key.  He's the only dude who can take a short pass and do something with it.  Maybe Peterson, too because he's not known as a pass catcher. 

Thanks overall. To this, I applaud your remaining optimism. I heard all these great things of CT.. even think I remember a play or two of legitimacy. Now, he's just like a Crowder or JR to me. An occasional splash nice! play.. but I barely remember anything worthy of much. Maybe I'm spoiled of watching so many wow plays from other teams. Maybe I'm just jaded, and Smith ruins everything he touches. 

Whatever it is, hope they fix it, of course. I want Guice coming into good things. Alex has had about all the good things he'll ever get, plus 150 million bucks to compensate the rest of the misery. Washington made a fan of me for life (probably) by adding Guice. If 2018 is to fall off the rails, I just want 2019 to begin with something worth enjoying. I know Smith deserves it, but I also know Guice deserves it perhaps even more. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

Thanks overall. To this, I applaud your remaining optimism. I heard all these great things of CT.. even think I remember a play or two of legitimacy. Now, he's just like a Crowder or JR to me. An occasional splash nice! play.. but I barely remember anything worthy of much. Maybe I'm spoiled of watching so many wow plays from other teams. Maybe I'm just jaded, and Smith ruins everything he touches. 

Whatever it is, hope they fix it, of course. I want Guice coming into good things. Alex has had about all the good things he'll ever get, plus 150 million bucks to compensate the rest of the misery. Washington made a fan of me for life (probably) by adding Guice. If 2018 is to fall off the rails, I just want 2019 to begin with something worth enjoying. I know Smith deserves it, but I also know Guice deserves it perhaps even more. 

I personally don't think Crowder is anything special.  He's good but not great IMO.  If Quinn plays starting next week and plays well I am ok with Crowder leaving in FA.

Thompson is special.  You saw it in the Arizona game.  Then Indy had a game plan to clamp down on him by blitzing and making him stay back to block.  Those rib injuries has slowed them down.

Jumping to next off season, yeah new LG, key.  Another young or veteran interior O lineman is needed.  A true #1 WR is needed maybe 2 more receivers.  The sad thing is in the moment the FA crop doesn't look that hot.  Maybe R. Cobb?  Tate if the Eagles let him go.  I think they are boxed in to draft someone.  Even though this team typically isn't hot at drafting Wrs. 

Guice was my big man crush last fall.  The one who is becoming my man crush is the context of this team is Marquise Brown. He's not the traditional #1 type, he's small.  He's more in the line of D. Jax, Hill.  Fast, explosive,

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I personally don't think Crowder is anything special.  He's good but not great IMO.  If Quinn plays starting next week and plays well I am ok with Crowder leaving in FA.

Certainly fits well with my less experienced outlook and expectations.

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Thompson is special.  You saw it in the Arizona game.  Then Indy had a game plan to clamp down on him by blitzing and making him stay back to block.  Those rib injuries has slowed them down.

Probably. Barely remember at this stage. At 4 mil next season, IIRC, not so bad. Not sure if there will be the need, but Guice shouldn't be relied on as a heavy load back.. certainly not yet. Want AP back for rotation, if reasonable. 

Agree with overall sentiments of what will be needed. Where are you on VD and even JR for TE in 2019?

7 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Guice was my big man crush last fall.

Same. Would have selected him at 13th overall, if in charge, lol. 

I don't know jack about prospects just yet.. if they are not LSU or Miss State. Used to love the draft process. Not sure just how much anymore.  (older and lazy)

Richardson has been disappointing. I accept he likely hasn't been 100% healthy, but I think he was slightly over hyped coming in. He was our primary target picking up an 8mil p/y deal which in reality is way short of elite WR money. Chances are we've got a solid #2 receiver in him next season.

The FA market looks bad. My number one consideration would be Funchess from the Panthers. After that we also need to draft an explosive play-maker/athlete for the offense. 

2 hours ago, Sandy Monk said:

Agree with overall sentiments of what will be needed. Where are you on VD and even JR for TE in 2019?

Both too much of a wild card to me, Davis because of his age, Reed because of injury history. I like them when they are right but wonder about how long their future will be -- one because of age, the other because of injuries.  Also, I'd like a well rounded TE who could block.  Not that I'd chase either out the door but I'd consider options in the draft, a guy like Irv Smith from the Redskins farm of Alabama is intriguing.

Obviously, you can't fix everything in one fell swoop though.  So for me WR, LG bigger priorities, maybe even OLB.   If they let Norman go maybe CB.  

• Like 1

On 11/6/2018 at 1:50 PM, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Richardson has been disappointing. I accept he likely hasn't been 100% healthy, but I think he was slightly over hyped coming in. He was our primary target picking up an 8mil p/y deal which in reality is way short of elite WR money. Chances are we've got a solid #2 receiver in him next season.

The FA market looks bad. My number one consideration would be Funchess from the Panthers. After that we also need to draft an explosive play-maker/athlete for the offense. 

Yeah, there's literally nobody I really want.  A trade for a WR is probably the only way they get what they need.  This year, decent WRs were flying around in trades for mostly reasonable prices.  Gordon, Landry, Cooper (not a reasonable price), Thomas.

A WR in the early parts of the draft would seem to be mandatory.

Edited by justice98

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

Yeah, there's literally nobody I really want.  A trade for a WR is probably the only way they get what they need.  This year, decent WRs were flying around in trades for mostly reasonable prices.  Gordon, Landry, Cooper (not a reasonable price), Thomas.

A WR in the early parts of the draft would seem to be mandatory.

I really wanted Landry. I even touted for a guy like Albert Wilson. I think we got fixed in on Richardson and thought that would do.

Drafting one does seem mandatory but damn I'm hardly banking on that turning out well.

• Like 1

I think at this point I can probably concede that this thread was a touch optimistic although I am encouraged by Harris and Doctson flashing a little, but I didn't really foresee Crowder, Thompson, and Richardson being hobbled for almost the entire year and Reed being a healthy non factor.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Burgold said:

I think at this point I can probably concede that this thread was a touch optimistic although I am encouraged by Harris and Doctson flashing a little, but I didn't really foresee Crowder, Thompson, and Richardson being hobbled for almost the entire year and Reed being a healthy non factor.

I think you and anyone else had enough justification in being optimistic. Takes a bit of a leap of faith to expect players to stay healthy and progress.. but what are fans for? if not throwing some faith out? ? 

Just some perspective on P Rich.

He was only targeted 35 times in 8 games and he had 20 catches, 2 TD's and 2 PI's (I think it was 2)

He had a 67% catch percentage until the last 2 games which dropped him quite a bit but IMO it was due to the fact he probably shouldn't have been playing and was trying to gut it out.

Point is, he never had a chance and neither does any other WR on this team.

If you thought we were getting a true #1 for $4M, $7.5M, and $8.5M over the next 3 years, then your just not paying attention, he was never a true #1, we needed Doctson and/or Crowder to be that true #1 with Paul using his speed to stretch the field.

Edited by JSSkinz

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

I think the fact that we lost 3 depth WRs really hurt us in terms of development. Plus Harris had the concussion in preseason. Add to that the fact that AP was balling out of control, and we haven't had to lean to our passing game like previous years. 

But I think we're going to do something similar to what we've been doing with our young players, kinda redshirt them as rookies and teach them to be pros, and let them play as sophomores. 

I know they were garbage stats but I hope this week is something to build on with Harris. He's been my favorite WR since his rookie year when Grant was getting time over him. If he and Alex can build a relationship then maybe these last 8 weeks can by more dynamic. 

• Like 1