Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Which position would you like to see the Redskins address with their first round pick?

wolfsire

Which position should we address with our first round pick?  

195 members have voted

1. 1. I'm thinking LB. A guy with a real nose for the football and all the tools it takes to make big time plays.

• QB
    • WR
    • LB
    • DL
    • OL
    • S
    • CB
    • RB
    • TE

this team could draft barkley at 13 and the run game would still suck due to the oline not being able to run block.  the only person that is good at that is T. Williams.  dline is where this team needs to draft if they want to compete against the NFC East.  stopping the run (DALLAS) and generating pressure on QBs (PHILLY/NY) will fix that.  generating pressure will force the qb's to throw it away quickly.  the team did pretty good until Allen got injured.  even if they were able to resign brown, and get Poe in FA, getting either Payne or Vea would greatly improve this defense.  hey but what do I know, I just watch the games and wonder when will this team ever be competitive.

On 2/6/2018 at 2:09 PM, Darth Tater said:

In no way was I arguing that I want a RB at 13 here.  Seattle's defense did take a step back but its run offense has been falling off for about 3 years.

Jax was a better team because they gambled on Jack and Ramsey who were generational talents who missed their final years because of crippling injuries. Imagine our FB blowing up using high picks on injured players.

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'd love another Dline man or ILB, but if Fitzpatrick drops, that's who I want. Maybe not as exciting as Adams last year, but the same type of firey leader, can play slot and is a true FS. I think that's been the defenses biggest hole.

Read a really cool story on Fitzpatrick in SI weeks back. He's a workaholic, smart, great guy -- Alabama players said he was the leader of that team.

I am with you on loving the player but I am very pessimistic that he drops that far.  I guess anything is possible.  Hopefully a couple of teams fall in love like last year with QBs that were previously not anticipated to go as high -- maybe someone falls for Lamar Jackson, ie. And the Bears take Ridley.  Two O lineman go top 10. 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Read a really cool story on Fitzpatrick in SI weeks back. He's a workaholic, smart, great guy -- Alabama players said he was the leader of that team.

I am with you on loving the player but I am very pessimistic that he drops that far.  I guess anything is possible.  Hopefully a couple of teams fall in love like last year with QBs that were previously not anticipated to go as high -- maybe someone falls for Lamar Jackson, ie. And the Bears take Ridley.  Two O lineman go top 10. 

Like I keep saying. Skill guys will fly up after the combine qnd draft day. I think he drops and we have a shot. Especially with all the james hype. CBs will go first. Offensive guys will rise after times. Etc. I doubt fitz/james gets Adams/hooker hype, so he should be there.

He puts DJ firmly at SS, locks down the top of our D and can run the locker room for years. It's been a constant need forever outside of a year and a half ST played well.

I also don't care if we end up with Payne or one of the ILBs. That's been another crazy need forever.

I think we trade out of 13 and pick up a couple slacker longer shots though. Bruce is cheap as **** and loves the trade back.

Here's hoping QBS don't slide.

I voted on O line. Trent Williams is a walking clinic . 

The revolving door, the Skins had to utilize to field a offensive line last season was a exercise of creativity to say the least.

Trent is a mainstay for the O line, but we need to think of the future, and think about the protection of a right handed quarterback.

Hopefully Trent will return to full active duties . Left guard is also a concern for the Skins and will need to address this position .

The over all opinion on this thread, Skins need Defense lineman (NT) and maybe a new top notch running back. To win games

you need to eat clock .

With a good O line, a football team can control and win games . Without a good O line, who ever lines up as a running back will fail.

I have been conveying this point for years, to win games it all starts with a offensive line .  Hail

8 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Spencer Long is a free agent and is not expected to be signed... Roullier is likely the starter for the foreseeable future unless something falls into our lap.  From what i remember he had a lot of fans, and adding a starting caliber LG could really open things up for him.  

I agree with you about O-Line as long as the right guy is there.. 

Maybe our new starting LG is already on our roster.

Kalis.

Wonder if they re-sign Bergstrom.  Capable (fairly cheap) backup G/C, competes with Catalina/Kalis for LG.

What’s the deadline to tender RFAs?  I’m assuming they tender Nsheke...

I didn’t really like the combo of Long and Lauvao in the middle.  I have higher hopes for Roullier and Kalis, but it’s a risk putting two inexperienced guys there.  

I’m still of the mindset that better olineman will help, but 1) we may already have upgrades, 2) I think the TEs poor blocking is even more of a culprit.  Not sure a better back will help much when they’re getting hit in the backfield, but they could be a big help on runs that reach the 2nd level.  

Barkley, Fitzpatrick, Smith and Payne are my picks at 13.  If those guys are gone, I’m hoping for a trade back and picking up maybe Guice or Kirk.  Trade back far enough and I’d consider a host of guys, including Goedert at TE.  

8 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Maybe our new starting LG is already on our roster.

Kalis.

That would be amazing... and the coaches would obviously know more about him than any of us.  I don't care where it comes from but we need a new LG... I'd still thikn that if Nelson falls we have to take him.  I want another Brandon Scherff on the left side.  Big, mean, hungry, meat and potatoes type guy who goes into each play like it's a street fight. 

If Baker Mayfield is there at 13 take him. 

Alex Smith is good for 2 - 3 years. 

Still need a QB and I like is fire and **** attitude. At least watching the Skins lose every year could be entertaining again. 

Like when Sean Taylor was slapping ****es around in the field with his sick hits. A least I had something to watch each week. 

For me it depends on two things, 1. what we do in free agency, 2. who's available when we pick for instance if Vita Vea and Quenton Nelson are both available and both are positions of need I'm taking the highest rated player. In this senario I would take Quenton Nelson as he's rated the 2nd or 3rd best player in the entire draft and Vita Vea is rated 9th best.

And for those of you who feel Kalis or Catalina should be our starting LG you are crazy Arie came in and played very well at LG so of the guys already on the roster I'd roll with Arie to start at LG over Kalis, who needs to bulk up some and get stronger and Catalina shouldn't be on an NFL roster.

1 hour ago, carex said:

for years Skins fans were "build the trenches, build the trenches."  Now for many one OL and one DL over three years and the trenches are built

I get the sentiment, but it’s more than just 1st rounders.  Adding Moses, Scherff, Roullier, Nsheke, Ioannidas, Allen, Lanier, Francis, McGee and McClain - they’ve definitely addressed the trenches.  Guess you could add in Smith, Murphy, Anderson and Galette as nickel DEs, too.  With that said, the DL and Oline shouldn’t be seen as finished products - and several of those guys are either FAs or soon to be FAs.  Gotta keep the pipeline going, and need another starting caliber player on both sides of the ball.  

Edit:  didn’t include Kalis and Catalina, though I have hope for both.  

24 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

I get the sentiment, but it’s more than just 1st rounders.  Adding Moses, Scherff, Roullier, Nsheke, Ioannidas, Allen, Lanier, Francis, McGee and McClain - they’ve definitely addressed the trenches.  Guess you could add in Smith, Murphy, Anderson and Galette as nickel DEs, too.  With that said, the DL and Oline shouldn’t be seen as finished products - and several of those guys are either FAs or soon to be FAs.  Gotta keep the pipeline going, and need another starting caliber player on both sides of the ball.  

Edit:  didn’t include Kalis and Catalina, though I have hope for both.  

True, it’s obvious that there is a consistent effort to build the trenches.  Even like, the safety position, I’ve seen that some feel like that’s our biggest need, but like, we just signed D.J. Swear, spent a 4th rounder on a very athletic FS in Monte, and have decent depth there (Sua?), so yeah it’s not like we’re high and dry.

the overwhelming amount of injuries last year really tanked the season, so it might be difficult for folks to realize that, say, Johnathan Allen is actually already the anchor that we need on the DL.  I mean, not to say we shouldn’t draft more DL, of course we should, but to feel like in the draft it’s DL or bust in round 1, I just don’t see that.  DL is super deep in the draft this year and we have excellent DL coaching in Tomsula.  We gotta think about these things!!

heres another thought I had re 1st round pick-  Orlando Brown.  If he’s the top tackle and somehow falls to 13, could we afford to not scoop him?  A lot of tackles can switch inside, in the interior.  Didn’t Trent Williams do that one point this year too?  So yeah we could have a future stallwort tackle that could be a great solution for the o lines interior needs for next season as he develops in the league. Trent isn’t getting younger... and Moses I have seen him getting beat a lot though he is still very good when healthy.  Something to think about.  If Q Nelson doesn’t drop to us, and if o line is greatest need, we should consider this.

@freakofthesouthGreat point.  I’d been thinking we should start looking pretty soon at tackles because 1) no telling how long we have Nsheke (and we could always use an upgrade), 2) would be nice not to have to carry 2 expensive tackles for several years, 3) Williams is getting a bit older and has had injury issues, and 4) we should have a viable candidate to replace Williams in the next couple/few years.   

Then I thought, well, let’s put it off a year at least while we address our numerous needs, and Williams could possibly play another 5+ years for us.  

The idea of getting a guy that could likely play inside though and move back out to tackle if needed?   That’s smart thinking.  

@skinny21 exactly.  I mean we have lots of money tied up in OTs which makes sense, but with yes Nsecke potentially moving on and the extremely debilitating injury bug the line experienced, young depth is key.  If o Brown is avail he could for sure be one of the best tackles in the league in a couple years’ time, right about when we will need someone.

And yeah play him inside as a rookie.  probably q Nelson won’t slip to 13, and there really isn’t much in the way of interior OL in the draft. It’s a little thin, I think?  Will hernendez would be great or billy price, or will Clapp, but they’ll go earlier on, especially with the position being so think so yeah it might work out. I bet the team is preparing for that possibility.  Hopefully...!  He’s for sure the top tackle and 2nd best OL.

5 hours ago, carex said:

for years Skins fans were "build the trenches, build the trenches."  Now for many one OL and one DL over three years and the trenches are built

If we draft a starting DT and a starting LG, then both lines would be composed of all players we have drafted... Not saying we're done, but right this moment, 4/5 starting O-linemen are drafted here as well as 2/3 starters on the D-line.  

As it stands now, it's probably 70-30 that Z Brown doesn't sign here so I'd go with LB Roquan Smith. That would probably be 70-30 that he won't be on the board by 13 so I'd go with DT Da'Ron Payne, followed by my backup choice of S Derwin James. I think one of these 3 players will be our first pick.

Archived