Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game of Thrones Season 8

Voice_of_Reason

• 2 months later...

@visionary I was coming on here to post basically the same thing. I've linked the actual Instagram post above.

The most interesting thing in the post is the hashtag "LastWomanStanding" and then "Barely."

Things that make you go "is that a spoiler?"  

Anyway, I'm hazarding a guess we're less than 12 months away from the conclusion of Game of Thrones. So I guess we'll find out ... soon?  Depending on your definition of soon I guess.  

• Like 2

No way would a major star spoil something on social media like that. She probably literally meant it as the last woman to leave the set physically or something.

I'm curious now that GoT is over how many of the stars will have staying power in Hollywood. I think many of them will as a lot of them have gotten multiple movie roles. But I think they'll all be known as "X from Game of Thrones", at least the major ones.

I'm surprised Natalie Dormer(Queen Margary)hasn't completely blown up. She's young, talented, and beautiful. She could carry movies.

Edited by Warhead36

I haven't seen that other show (the Tudors) to get a better gauge on her, but from what I've seen in a few movies, she hasnt really stood out. Most of them havent.

I think it's fairly normal for actors and stars of major hit tv shows to get the "Hollywood Bump" while it's going, but for every George Clooney or Will Smith, there's a hundred Matthew Fox's, who get a few solid movies, almost all while they're at the top of their game as top tier actors of said tv show, and then they fade away.

It's just a different realm of acting.

Edited by Mr. Sinister
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

No way would a major star spoil something on social media like that. She probably literally meant it as the last woman to leave the set physically or something.

I'm curious now that GoT is over how many of the stars will have staying power in Hollywood. I think many of them will as a lot of them have gotten multiple movie roles. But I think they'll all be known as "X from Game of Thrones", at least the major ones.

I'm surprised Natalie Dormer(Queen Margary)hasn't completely blown up. She's young, talented, and beautiful. She could carry movies.

I think Lena Headey could really be something, awesome actor

I know I'm a couple months late to the discussion of favorite scenes, but for me it was the loot train battle.  Visually, I think it is the most impressive thing I ever saw on tv.  But I think the most epic thing about the battle was the shifting emotions.  

I was so pumped up by the Dothraki/dragon show of force after the Lannisters string of victories, wanting to see some payback.  But then it is so brutal that I feel bad for Lannister army.  I'm rooting for Bron and Jamie to live.  Big sigh of relief when Bron kills the guy chasing him, straight to "oh no!  He is going to kill Danny!" I love the back and forth tension and mixed feelings throughout the battle.

• Like 5

I don’t see Kit being a star but I can see Emilia Clarke having a long career in movies. Alfie Allen could be typecast as a weasely villain for 20 years and I’d be ok with it. Basically his role in Jon Wick. That’s probably it.

Nickolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime) is pretty talented and I loved him in Shot Caller. Left a review in the movie thread. I just don’t know how much big time opportunity he will get. 

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2018 at 8:54 PM, zoony said:

I will be in Dubrovnik for a week this fall.  Hoping there might be some GOT stuff to check out

Definitely a lot of things.  Do a Game of Thrones tour though not with one of the big groups.  There are small companies, often with guides who were extras in the show.  We had a private tour and it was worth it.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I don’t see Kit being a star but I can see Emilia Clarke having a long career in movies. Alfie Allen could be typecast as a weasely villain for 20 years and I’d be ok with it. Basically his role in Jon Wick. That’s probably it.

Nickolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime) is pretty talented and I loved him in Shot Caller. Left a review in the movie thread. I just don’t know how much big time opportunity he will get. 

Yes, I see Kit's career going a lot like Orlando Bloom after the LotR trilogy was done. He'll get into some roles doing similar things he did in GoT. But Kit doesn't have the best acting chops to go any further. I find Maisie interesting, she's still young, so I don't know how far she'll grow as an actress. I actually think Emilia's career with be similar to Kit's. She's delivered lackluster performances in the roles she's done during GoT. But she's hot, and popular, so we'll see her for a little while. 

19 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Yeah the dude who plays Jaime has good charima and range. He could easily do drama or comedy.

The chick who plays Missandei(Dany's chief of staff or assistant or whatever the hell the title is)could see her career take off too. She won't be typecast because her part is more minor in GoT but she's young, talented, and beautiful.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2018 at 1:52 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

Not that I really care, I’m not a book reader, but o did a quick google search and found GRRM has made numerous, conflicting comments about release dates over the past few months.

I personally think we’ll see Winds drop right around the same time s season 8 debuts, just so Martin can try and steal some attention back. 

On 3/25/2018 at 1:57 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

That would be a start. Still a long ways off. I’m not a book reader but I do want to read them if he ever finishes 

I had read the books... and was REALLY jazzed when the series was coming out.

but frankly.... while the first three books were great (I would still recommend reading them, even having seen the show), the last two books were a bit like pulling teeth.   he doesn't know what the **** he actually even wants from the stories at this point, much less how to get there.   

I am fairly certain GRM would be happy to let it slide, while pretending like it is somehow beyond his control.   

On 3/26/2018 at 11:57 AM, Voice_of_Reason said:

I honestly think that the biggest issue is that the Double D's spent 2 years-ish (in real time, not season time) waiting for GRRM to finish Winds of Winter so they could use it.  Season 5 is essentially 7 episodes of stall technique.  How many times did we see that guy go ask Danny to open the fighting pits?  Like 5 minutes in every episode...  They were just killing time trying to get to the next book.  Which never came, and still hasn't come, and might never come.  

Season 6 was was the first season (to my understanding, since I'm not a book reader) where there was significant content ahead of the books.  However, from what I've heard from the book-reading crowd, they still went back and used some content from earlier books to fill it out.  

My guess is that somewhere along the way, the Double D's got drunk and realized that they couldn't stall anymore, and they just shot ahead at light speed to try and get everybody into the right places, kill the characters they needed to kill to set up the ending.

They needed to get Danny, Jon and Cercei together in the same place, and they needed the wall to fall and get the Night King on the south side of the wall.  

So after twiddling their thumbs for a season and a half, they had to accelerate past the point of warp speed to get it all done, and it was somewhat jarring.

I think if GRRM had just dropped dead somewhere during the production of season 4, and they weren't waiting for book content for 2 years, the path would have actually been more linear.

That's just a hunch, though.  

that wasn't just waiting for the new book that never came... that was MOSTLY sorting through the morass of bull**** that was the last book, also.   

I am not sure GRM is actually much of an asset to the storyline anymore?  he may be in his behind the scenes discussions with the HBO team... but the outward appearance is of somebody that has lost control of his story and is at a loss of how to finish it all.    

@mcsluggo Obviously I have no idea of the morass of the last two books, but one of my favorite podcasts, Binge Mode, has said that the fantasy aspect of the TV series really struggled when the show got out in front of the books.  I have to take their word for it, but will say the zombie polar bear was pointless as hell.  

As to which actors/actresses will have longer careers,  the best actors are Lena Headey (Cersei), Nikolai Coster-Waldau (Jamie) and Peter Dinklage (Tyrion). They really all should get a lot of roles going forward, either TV or Movie.   

There are a bunch of "really good" character actors who I'm guessing will keep popping up, and we will say, "oh, I remember them in GoT..  Liam Cunningham (Davos), Ian Glenn (Jorah), Conleth Hill (Varys, though we might not recognise him with hair), Aiden Gillen (Baelish), etc  

Sophie Turner is going to disappear into being hot and married to a Jonas brother, (until their eventual divorce for irreconcilable differences) probably do some movies where she ALMOST takes off her clothes but doesn't, and then fade into irrelevance.  Pity, I like her and I like the character, but this seems pre-ordained.

Maisie is destined for rehab.  What effect this has on her acting career is unknown. 

Emilia is willing to take off her clothes, is hot, and a passable actress, so she'll stick around for a while.  

Kit is now married to Rose Leslie, who's a better actor than he is.  I hope she gets some good roles she could sink her teeth into.  She's talented.  Pity that git Olly killed her.  Kit probably will get some action-hero type roles here and there, then will fade into darkness.  

Natalie Dormer is also a good actor, but is probably best suited for supporting actress roles on either Netflix or HBO.  I'd like to see her in something "big" that's set in current day.  Her two big roles are GoT and Tudors.  

I'm sure there are a bunch of folks I have missed.  The cast list for GoT is like 4 miles long...

• Like 1

A lot of folks from GOT have been all over British (and some HBO) tv shows for a while, especially the older ones.

I think HBO will bring back a few favorite actors in other shows, since they use casting directors and others in multiple series.

Edited by visionary

10 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Obviously I have no idea of the morass of the last two books, but one of my favorite podcasts, Binge Mode, has said that the fantasy aspect of the TV series really struggled when the show got out in front of the books.  I have to take their word for it, but will say the zombie polar bear was pointless as hell.  

On that note, the show always was going to have to shift into more fantasy elements and less political drama as the story progressed and the central threat from the opening scene of the series was realized. 

I think all of the series biggest flaws and that would include just about all of the flaws from season 7 could have been eliminated had they made it a full season and not rushed through so much. They could have added in more dialogue that we love that set up character motivations and actions better, delayed certain meetings until future episodes which would have reduced a lot of the jetpacking feeling of players skipping all over the map quickly. They would have told a a much better story. I'm not sure why they rushed but it gives me quite a bit of concern about season 8. Even something as simple as making Dany wait at East Watch would have made 7.6 so much better. Then all you have to believe is Gendry or a Raven made it back to the wall to summon Dany. You also could have added a scene with Dany and Davos where maybe Dany hints at some feelings she has or respect she has earned for Jon. Maybe she asks Davos about his "he took a knife in the heart" comment too. 

On 7/9/2018 at 12:48 PM, mcsluggo said:

I had read the books... and was REALLY jazzed when the series was coming out.

but frankly.... while the first three books were great (I would still recommend reading them, even having seen the show), the last two books were a bit like pulling teeth.   he doesn't know what the **** he actually even wants from the stories at this point, much less how to get there.   

I am fairly certain GRM would be happy to let it slide, while pretending like it is somehow beyond his control.   

Yeah, first three books were masterpieces of modern fantasy, while 4-5 were "meh".  I'm actually happy about certain things getting cut in seasons 5-6.  I think they could have cut the Dorne plot out from the series almost entirely, except for the Red Viper in season 3 (Pedro Pascal), one of the more interestingly side stories.  

I also feel the show didn't know what do with Baelish, and made him do foolish, completley out of character things like handing Sansa over to the Boltons, and his "downfall" was done clumsily.   The same goes for Ramsy.  One of the major themes that made the series interesting, how personal failings lead characters' demise, was pretty much competely absent past season 4. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DCSaints_fan said:

Yeah, first three books were masterpieces of modern fantasy, while 4-5 were "meh".  I'm actually happy about certain things getting cut in seasons 5-6.  I think they could have cut the Dorne plot out from the series almost entirely, except for the Red Viper in season 3 (Pedro Pascal), one of the more interestingly side stories.  

I also feel the show didn't know what do with Baelish, and made him do foolish, completley out of character things like handing Sansa over to the Boltons, and his "downfall" was done clumsily.   The same goes for Ramsy.  One of the major themes that made the series interesting, how personal failings lead characters' demise, was pretty much competely absent past season 4. 

What were your issues with how Ramsey was handled? 

5 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

What were your issues with how Ramsey was handled? 

I was looking for something a bit more than just being merely defeated in battle, being trumped at the last minute by the Riders of Roh- er Knights of the Vale.   Something like defection of one his "bannermen" finally getting fed up and turning on him.  That has been foreshadowed in the books, but they go in to way more detail with the Northern bannermen like the Karstarks, Umbers (btw, what happened to the Greatjon?), Manderlys, etc.  Something the show omits.  On the forums is called the "Great Northern Conspiracy"  The "lesson" being that fear and cruelty only takes a leader so far.  I think they didn't do something like this in the show, because after Rob got shived, the bannermen were never really developed as a characters - speaking of which, the Blackfish was another one of those unceremonious, pointless deaths.   

Its a general complaint with the show.  If they are going to merely kill of a character, with no narrative meaning, there's really no point in including them as even a minor character.  

Without the books, I suspect D&D (show creators) have simply been winging it and simply don't know what to do with alot of the characters. 

• Like 2