46 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the Skins 2018 QB

• Sam Bradford
    • Teddy Bridgewater
    • Case Keenum
    • Colt McCoy

45 minutes ago, rdskn4eva said:

If its not Cousins, Im gonna be pissed.

I've talked to fans from many teams at work and they all agree Cousins is really freaking good.  On both Jags message boards and Minnesota boards, they want Cousins.  One of my good friends is a cowboys fans and he thinks Cousins in the best QB in the division.  Seems like everyone recognizes that Cousins is the real deal except the Redskins front office.

To be fair, that's all just fan talk (here and in other places). We actually have no clue what other FO's, HCs, OCs truly think about him. Hell, Scott M recently said when asked about Kirk that he was a good QB but not special. We don't know exactly what other coaches and FOs will think when they put on his game tape. They might think he is truly special or they might go "eh, good but not great". Fan feelings don't necessarily mean all that much.

9 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Fan feelings don't necessarily mean all that much.

No doubt.

But I do find it interesting that literally everyone I talk to that has no emotional attachment to the Redskins think Cousins is really good, worthy of a big contract, and that the Redskins are foolish.  I'm not talking about folks that simply play fantasy football and don't watch him play, I'm talking about folks in the local area that are engulfed in Redskins through sports radio and local programming.  The folks that know a lot of about the Redskins whether they want to or not.

2 hours ago, Unbias said:

Does anyone else see the possibility of Bradford becoming a Redskin a bit funny? He is the only Native American I know of in the NFL and with all the racial slur garbage wouldn't it be fitting to see him in burgundy and gold?

Would the mascot people even know what to do with that image? 

Actually When I read this, I was just getting ready to type that no one seems to remember a Bradford quote saying he hoped he didn't end up in DC because of the name.

A quick Google found multiple sources saying he basically "no commented" it.

Whatevah.... I want KC.

Some miscast egotist that Dan Snyder trades up big time for......   wait a minute,  he tried that....

Some aging veteran from another team and time..........  wait, he tried that also....  now wait, don't rush me

Holding a proven QB hostage on 1-year franchise tag..... now wait a minute, he's done that also.....  yeah, but this actually worked unlike his other schemes, so Snyder will do it again..... 

3 hours ago, Unbias said:

Does anyone else see the possibility of Bradford becoming a Redskin a bit funny? He is the only Native American I know of in the NFL and with all the racial slur garbage wouldn't it be fitting to see him in burgundy and gold?

Would the mascot people even know what to do with that image? 

Funnily enough I recall reading when Bradford came out that he would never play for the Redskins for this reason.  There were some rumblings that Danny want to try and pull a megatrade to move up for him but at that point the Rams didn't want to deal and were set on taking him but it generated enough buzz for the idea to be discussed and the word was Bradford would rather not play at all than play for the Skins.

Regarding the original topic, if Kirk goes I would start McCoy and I would figure out what Cleveland would accept for Kizer, doubt it would take much as they are ready to turn the page and I actually think with decent coaching he is better than anyone in this years draft.

4 hours ago, rumplestilskin said:

Alex Smith

Trade Cousins rights to Cleveland, who then transition tags him (I think they can do this).  They get him for a year at least, and can easily match any offer.

Flip the return for Alex Smith.  I suspect the pick(s) to be close to similar value.  Draft a QB in round one, let him sit behind Smith for a year.

Can we hire Peyton Manning or Brett Favre as our QB's coach?.....If that happens, I don't care who's in the pocket because I know they'll get the mechanics right and learn from the best...

All this talk of letting Colt McCoy play and the new guy learning is a crock of crap.... Colt is not a good guy to learn from... You need someone good in place to learn from, IMO.

19 minutes ago, DiscoBob said:

Trade Cousins rights to Cleveland, who then transition tags him (I think they can do this).  They get him for a year at least, and can easily match any offer.

Flip the return for Alex Smith.  I suspect the pick(s) to be close to similar value.  Draft a QB in round one, let him sit behind Smith for a year.

A kid like Mayfield behind Smith could really benefit. The kid has talent and a desire to win but he needs a mentor to keep him down to earth.

18 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

A kid like Mayfield behind Smith could really benefit. The kid has talent and a desire to win but he needs a mentor to keep him down to earth.

To be honest, how he actually measures at the combine is going to affect his draft stock. He's listed at 6'1 but I've read that he's closer to 5'10-11. Sure, Russel Wilson is very successful but I think he's by far the exception and he's a different sort of player and the Hawks use him correctly. Wilson's size also definitely pushed him down draft boards. IMO if he had been 6'3 or something he would have been a top 10 pick with his skill set. 

Mayfield is also another Big12 QB who put up gaudy stats in a QB friendly system throwing to lots of wide open guys. Though I do like his ability to improvise and make off schedule plays.

11 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

All this talk of letting Colt McCoy play and the new guy learning is a crock of crap.... Colt is not a good guy to learn from... You need someone good in place to learn from, IMO.

Our current QB coach is Kevin O'Connell. In case you're drawing a blank on what sort of superstar he was before becoming a coach, he threw 4/6 for 23 yards and 1 sack in 2008 with the Patriots. That's not his highlight, that's his career. Colt McCoy is many things, but he is not such a bad QB that your rookie will turn into Rex Grossman just by accidentally looking at him.

26 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Can we hire Peyton Manning or Brett Favre as our QB's coach?.....If that happens, I don't care who's in the pocket because I know they'll get the mechanics right and learn from the best...

Most superstar players are horrible coaches. They expect the players to be able to play like them. There are very few great players that are also great coaches. Peyton could possibly be one of the outliers, but in general it's the guys who are not quite as athletic, not quite as gifted, that had to work really hard for everything (not saying those guys do not work hard), that are really good coaches. 

Colt would probably be a very good QB coach. He understands the game He has had at least some success here and there and clearly is good at communicating. 

More importantly, you are skipping or ignoring the part where most anyone suggesting Colt play is saying so as a last resort after, er uh, if the FO lets Kirk walk. I do not believe I have seen a single person that thinks this is option #1. 

16 minutes ago, mistertim said:

To be honest, how he actually measures at the combine is going to affect his draft stock. He's listed at 6'1 but I've read that he's closer to 5'10-11. Sure, Russel Wilson is very successful but I think he's by far the exception and he's a different sort of player and the Hawks use him correctly. Wilson's size also definitely pushed him down draft boards. IMO if he had been 6'3 or something he would have been a top 10 pick with his skill set. 

Mayfield is also another Big12 QB who put up gaudy stats in a QB friendly system throwing to lots of wide open guys. Though I do like his ability to improvise and make off schedule plays.

I think it’s worth the risk. If he doesn’t work we miss a pick. Not saying we should mortgage picks.  He could fall to us.  Brees isn’t a tall guy either. He doesn’t have to be a savior. Just having a player that oozes confidence at a position like QB can do so much. The guy quite simply doesn’t like to lose.  He broke down after the bowl loss.  Sure he had immature moments but give him a vet QB that mentors him and he’ll excel. If we draft him and throw him into fire then yeah it probably blows up in our face.  He’s got a attitude that we kind of need.  He feeds off disrespect and relishes making you eat it.

1 hour ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Colt McCoy while we groom Josh Allen (hopefully).

That's something I would take right now. Though I gotta look at a bit more of Allen. And if we don't have to trade up for Allen, it means things haven't gone well for him in the evaluation process.

One of the random thoughts I've had is whether we could interest Indy in Josh Norman and Preston Smith as part of a trade-up deal.

3 hours ago, rdskn4eva said:

If its not Cousins, Im gonna be pissed.

I've talked to fans from many teams at work and they all agree Cousins is really freaking good.  On both Jags message boards and Minnesota boards, they want Cousins.  One of my good friends is a cowboys fans and he thinks Cousins in the best QB in the division.  Seems like everyone recognizes that Cousins is the real deal except the Redskins front office.

This X 100.  It's amazing how virtually every other fan base recognizes what 1/3 of ours do not.  I've heard it from other fans too, they know a good QB when they see one. But it's the nature of all fans I guess, some just can't get past a late big game pick  and it washes away all that was done by the player to get us to that big game.    

As for Sam Bradford that son of a **** has stolen more money than Ringo Starr. He has never been good and he's always hurt, yet his career earnings dwarf players who are far far better,  

8 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

One of the random thoughts I've had is whether we could interest Indy in Josh Norman and Preston Smith as part of a trade-up deal

My random trade up is us swapping our first with Clevland for their #4, involving Cousins somehow.

44 minutes ago, mistertim said:

This too.  Below is the list of Big 12 QBs who lived up to their draft status and hype:

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

My random trade up is us swapping our first with Clevland for their #4, involving Cousins somehow.

That would seem to be the most we could hope for in a Cousins swap, and I tend to think that might be a bit much. 

But if Allen emerges as the clear third guy, I would expect Indy to be open for business with pick #3.

7 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

That would seem to be the most we could hope for in a Cousins swap, and I tend to think that might be a bit much. 

But if Allen emerges as the clear third guy, I would expect Indy to be open for business with pick #3.

I'm not clear on how that works. Would we have to full on franchise tag him in order to do a trade? Or can it be done with the transition tag? Kirk would also have to agree to the trade, wouldn't he? Otherwise the team in question will potentially give up a high 1st round draft pick for a one year rental.

Archived