Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Washington Nationals - Weak Cheese

@DCGoldPants

13 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Don't blame them for trying. I know his stats have been trending down, but someone was to sign him. Only surprising thing to be is 3 years and not 2.

It's not a terrible contract, and since the Phillies have to pay no one anytime soon, it's not a big deal for them. They'll pay him $30m next year. I have major, major concerns about him this year. After signing so late, with a very unorthodox delivery, he's almost destined for the DL.

9 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

Soto shoots one the other way to the left center gap for an RBI double. Prettttty swing.

Helllooooooooooo Soto!!

08ff30cc2ff22f74ecc00896c473a24a.gif

So. so, so glad we didn't trade him.

Grade A ****tard Bob Nightengale was said "after Bryce Harper leaves the Nationals, the division will be wide open!" Right, because he is our only good player. Moron.

This year's outfield has the potential to be one of the best--and NO ONE is talking about them. Eaton and Taylor are really underrated, even if Taylor only hits .240/.290/.450, his defense makes up for it. And, of course, Harper is Harper. Then, we have Robles waiting in the wings--and has he put on a show in Spring Training! If Stevenson can hit at all, he'll be very good depth, and if Goodwin continues what he did, then there's Howie...

Anyone catch Boswell's chat today re: Harper's contract?

Because of the cataclysm in free agency, every team which currently has a mega-star in his walk year -- Harper, Manny Machado, Josh Donaldson, Craig Kimbrel, the whole gang of 'em -- just got about a $50m-to-$75M "home town discount" on what it would cost them to keep their star on a long extension.

Why?

Because we have enough data now to guesstimate -- and that's all, just guess -- what the value is to MLB teams (translated into free agent dollars) of losing two draft picks and $1M international money if they sign a star (rejected Qualifying Offer) free agent.

What is that number? Well, Moustakas, not a top star, but still relevant, essentially signed for NOTHING. KC -- his old team and thus NOT obligated to give up any picks of Inter cash-- basically said, "We'll take you back if you play this year for free." He made $8.5M last year.

What this says to me is that the $85m-to-$95M 5-year contract that was generally ASSUMED to be the ballpark to sign Moustakas as a free agent -- FansGraphs entire staff did estimates of his value and all came in that range -- went to almost NOTHING. He may not have even gotten a single solid offer. (That's how I saw him quoted in one story, don't know if it's accurate.)

Does that mean that MLB teams now "value" the compensation for a QU free agent at something like $85-to$95M? No. It's a lot more complicated than that. I don't know exactly what it is. But it is now A LOT.

In other words, if Harper was worth $400M/10year ($40M x 10 = $400M) six months ago, maybe now he is worth ($37.5M x 8 = $300M) $300M because everybody is getting somewhat lower dollars for somewhat lower years, especially years past 30. And Harper's 9th and 10th free agent years would be age 34 and 35 for a player who already has an injury history at 25. 

So, in a level market, Harper is "worth" $300M to the Cubs, Dodgers or whomever. But that includes perhaps $50M-to-$75M is "cost" in lost draft picks and international $ that the Cubs or Dodgers would have to pay. so, maybe they would offer Harper ($300M -$50M = $250M)  $250M next winter.

The Nats would not suffer that cost in young players of $50M (or whatever number you want to put on it.) So, if the Nats bid $275M NOW, maybe Harper would be wise to sign because 1) he may not get $275M as a free agent in this re-set market with Your New Team factoring a big cost in future talent to get you and 2) you could get hurt in '18 or have a bad year like '16 and see your value go down.

Obviously, I don't know the market's secret soul! If Boras reads this, he'd probably scream. But this is a fact: Harper is worth LESS now than he was a few months ago. So is Machado, etc. There is no new CBA coming to help these guys. They are stuck with the current system. (Even if, someday, collusion turned out to be true and was proved, it would be years before that was determined -- long after the '18 free agents made their new beds to sleep in.) Throw that $400M out the window.

He keeps going for awhile.  Bottom line, the FA market has changed radically in the past year and Harper got much cheaper, especially for just the Nats.

If we get a good deal on Harper, by all means lock him down ASAP and flip the OF depth to beef up catching and pitching. I still remain skeptical that we'll be able to lock him down, purely because I'm a DC sports fan and thus very familiar with pain. 

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

If we get a good deal on Harper, by all means lock him down ASAP and flip the OF depth to beef up catching and pitching. I still remain skeptical that we'll be able to lock him down, purely because I'm a DC sports fan and thus very familiar with pain. 

giphy.gif

Archived