Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Worried About Montae Nicholson's Health & Future

method man

So it looks like the team finally put Montae on IR for the season after missing the past four games. This is a bit eerie to me for a few reasons.

I know many of us are banking on him to be our starting FS in 2018 and I believe at, full health, he is capable of filling this role. I am worried about is the concussion he is currently recovering from. My guess is the team put on him IR not just because they want to take a look at Smithson before the season is over but also because they don't believe he can play the remainder of the season despite already missing four games.

There is good reason to believe Montae suffered at least one concussion prior to this against the Niners and came back into the game to play shortly after.

https://www.maxim.com/sports/montae-nicholson-hard-hit-2017-10

The science is out there that when you suffer two concussions in a short timespan, the second concussion is more severe and takes longer to recover from, which is what we are seeing now.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/261726.php

Once you start to build this sort of concussion history, you are also just more likely to keep getting concussed in the future if you keep engaging in the activity. (For the boxing /UFC fans out there, this is the equivalent of a fighter losing his chin after a few KOs.)

For his sake, I really hope he is doing well. From personal experience, when I suffered a concussion, the two month period after was the worst time of my life. I didn't feel fully normal until a year later. Furthermore, recovery from a severe concussion is the equivalent of torture - as an example, UFC fighter Matt Brown had to sit in a room with no lights for 10 days.

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/09/after-scary-concussion-ufc-welterweight-matt-brown-taking-his-return-slowly-1

Football-wise, this situation is unfortunately starting to mirror Jordan Reed's. The implication is that as much as we as a fanbase like him, I don't think the FO can depend on him to be a fulltime solution at FS next year. Hopefully Smithson shows in these last 2 games that he is a good backup plan. If not, we will need to find a FS who is capable of being an above average starter in FA or the draft as that is a major reason we have struggled on D in recent weeks.

Is he the closest thing we've had to a center fielder type free safety that can eat up ground in the back end since 2007? Hope he's ok because he could be another piece at a lower cost, much like Crowder, Ioannidis, Fuller, Roullier and Perine. Darn that McCloughan and his inconsistent drafting. 

Am I reading that right? The NFL with its new sideline safety tents allowed this player to get back in a game he was concussed in Or was that a concussion in a different game?

4 hours ago, method man said:

There is good reason to believe Montae suffered at least one concussion prior to this against the Niners and came back into the game to play shortly after.

Concussions and CTE are going to ruin the NFL and be the death of it. I hope he had no long term lasting effects of the concussions; just watched the 30 for 30 on the 85 Bears team and seeing Jim McMahon in it really opened my eyes to how serious of a life long issue they are to those men I never considered before

4 hours ago, Berggy9598 said:

Is he the closest thing we've had to a center fielder type free safety that can eat up ground in the back end since 2007? Hope he's ok because he could be another piece at a lower cost, much like Crowder, Ioannidis, Fuller, Roullier and Perine. Darn that McCloughan and his inconsistent drafting. 

As skinsfan2k alluded to, I think Kyshoen would’ve been the guy. He didn’t have Nicholson’s physical talent but he had the highest football IQ of any rookie in the secondary we’ve had during my time as a fan.

That guy’s ongoing problems with his dead nerves are scary. He now has the Bas Rutten problem going on where one arm is jacked and the other arm looks like a skinny high schooler’s. 

Ironically, I suffered a similar injury (nowhere near as severe and now fully healed) that ended my jiu jitsu training.

4 hours ago, bobandweave said:

Am I reading that right? The NFL with its new sideline safety tents allowed this player to get back in a game he was concussed in Or was that a concussion in a different game?

Concussions and CTE are going to ruin the NFL and be the death of it. I hope he had no long term lasting effects of the concussions; just watched the 30 for 30 on the 85 Bears team and seeing Jim McMahon in it really opened my eyes to how serious of a life long issue they are to those men I never considered before

The situation outlined in that article reminds me of the Tom Savage situation. He too twitched oddly after his concussion and he too was brought back into the game

In Montae’s case, what is particulary sad is I believe he is an academically smart guy. I thought I read he has an engineering degree. His ability to pick up the scheme so quickly as a rookie shows this as well. Honestly, if I were in his shoes, I’d walk away and use that degree

They've known about this from the beginning - he has one of the worst tackling techniques. It was just a matter of time before he ran into concussion problems with the disregard he has for his head. He's probably had concussions in college or high school to boot. The OP is right: Nicholson could come back to start, but anticipating him to be able to and expecting him to endure there is wishful thinking. 

Ducks head into tackles and doesn't consistently square up his targets causing excessive missed tackles.

This time of year, lots of teams place lots of players on IR, even for minimal injuries.  These are non-playoff teams of course.  Hopefully this was just the 'Skins freeing up a slot on the team so that they could grab someone that will stick around during the off-season. 

40 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

I don't believe in curses, but our safety position has been cursed for ten years.  Every time we find a safety, strong or free, they are soon gone because of an unforeseen event.  It's really infuriating at this point.

Excellent write-up, by the way.  :cheers:

How crazy is it, seriously?

Sean Taylor - RIP

Laron Landry - was playing like an All Pro in 2010 until he injured his Achilles and he was gone a year later

Ryan Clark - vintage Dan Snyder letting a guy who would blossom into a Pro Bowler go because he wanted to make a splash

Adam Archuleta - highest paid punt protector in the league

OJ Atogwe - another free agent bust

Kyshoen Jarrett - freak injury

Montae Nicholson - concussions

If I'm DJ Swearinger, I'm begging for a trade lol

Anyone else I'm missing?

I don't know if putting him back on IR is something to be worried about. We've been eliminated from the playoffs, so there's no need to rush anybody back who's injured. I honestly hope they put Trent on IR soon, and let him get the surgery and recover. There's no reason to keep playing injured players at this point. IR them and get them right for next year.

Archived