Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

Smith would be awesome on a 3-4 year deal while drafting someone’s in the 3/4 to groom at QB but no way trading for him. 

Im intrigued by Bridgewater. My concern is the Cousins situation won’t be resolved (tagged and maybe not traded until right before the draft) and we won’t  have the ability to go spend on a guy like Bridgewater, even at $8-12mm a year.

hes young ahd looks good before that awful injury. 

25 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Im intrigued by Bridgewater. My concern is the Cousins situation won’t be resolved (tagged and maybe not traded until right before the draft) and we won’t  have the ability to go spend on a guy like Bridgewater, even at $8-12mm a year.

hes young ahd looks good before that awful injury. 

Not saying Cooley is right, who knows but he ironically did a breakdown of Bridgewater today.  His conclusion "meh", backup.

DU0RbsoXkAUERv5.jpg
0 replies0 retweets0 likes

45 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not saying Cooley is right, who knows but he ironically did a breakdown of Bridgewater today.  His conclusion "meh", backup.

I'm not really sure how anyone could even properly evaluate Bridgewater. His rookie season was relatively strong. His sophomore season was okay. But he hasn't played a meaningful snap in two years (okay, he did throw two passes this year). And while he showed positive signs the first two years, he had his flaws too. Not to mention there's a question on if his injury has affected him long-term. He's a complete wild card, which could go either very well or very badly or somewhere in between

8 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

It kind of boggles my mind that folks want to invest 10M a year in an ILB that can't do it all. 

Perhaps this is how the fence riders in regards to Kirk feel too.  I absolutely want to keep Zach Brown but not at anywhere close to 10M a season.  The only difference for me is the supply and demand market for ILB's is much easier to make up ground on than the QB market.

Agreed. Also not sure why Brown's market would be that much more lucrative than last year. He was a free agent then and got a frigid market. It'll probably be better this year after another strong season. But there's a ton of landing room between his 2017 deal and $10 million per year

6 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I'm not really sure how anyone could even properly evaluate Bridgewater. His rookie season was relatively strong. His sophomore season was okay. But he hasn't played a meaningful snap in two years (okay, he did throw two passes this year). And while he showed positive signs the first two years, he had his flaws too. Not to mention there's a question on if his injury has affected him long-term. He's a complete wild card, which could go either very well or very badly or somewhere in between

I caught the tail end of his assessment,  from what i heard he looked at multiple games of Bridgewater and watched his mechanics, the full 9 yards and wasn't impressed.  It doesn't mean he was right.  That's just his take. 

Martavis Bryant, Paul Richardson, Jarvis Landry in order probably get you as close in FA to Tyreke Hill status in terms of taking the top off defenses. 

Would still love Allen Robinson on a big deal to lock up for a while. Only 24. Then maybe draft a fast deep threat in the 4th or 5th. We need to get Smith weapons. Reed being healthy would be huge but we can’t rely on that. 

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Figured Smith was our man at QB for months.

I expect Brown re-signed now. Not sure we'll cover Breeland, but Brown will get paid im sure.

I think if he escapes Miami we will sign Landry now.

Unless Brown says “f-u” because of the trade of Fuller.  

I’d like to see brown and Landry.  Immediate upgrade.

Battered fan my "market value" comment wasn't directed at you but those that want to lowball everyone except Kirk Cousins.

Now that the QB situation is resolved I'd like the team to resign Zack Brown and Breeland, extend Crowder and Scheriff then go after TE Tre Burton (Eagles), LG Patrick Omenah (Jags), one of WR Martavis Bryant or Paul Richardson and DT Beau Allen (Eagles). Then an ILB Preston Brown (bills).

Then draft DT Vita Vea

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Unless Brown says “f-u” because of the trade of Fuller.  

I’d like to see brown and Landry.  Immediate upgrade.

I suspect Brown just wants paid. The outpouring of emotion for Fuller will soon pass, well other than here on ES where we will track his career for the next decade.

If the cap hit on Smith this year is only $17 million (what he was due in KC) ... throwing Dunbar and Foster in there, I guess we’d have $32 million to spend in  FA. I suspect our draft pool will be in the $7-8 million range and you typically want about $7-8 million for in season signings (reason last year was so high - injuries = lot of $$ spent on replacements). So let’s round up to $18 million for draft and in season moves to be safe and have a cushion. You’ve now got $14 million to spend and maneuver to get in FAs and anyone you want to re-sign. Not ideal, but we’ve made moves with less. 

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I think there's another big move on its way. Bruce is on a roll. Contract restructure, another significant player trade out potentially. It's just got that feel about it right now. 

Because the team has been silent on everything? Cousins has? I honestly haven't been following along today. Quite bizarre either way, since we can't hear anything official on this for almost 2 months. The timing is just off. I mean, I guess I could see them doing some sort of tag and trade of Cousins with the cooperation of all involved. But, IDK, that still seems super unlikely 

I'd resign Brown and sign Trent Murphy to a prove it deal.

I then sign in FA. Lamarcus Joyner S, EJ Gaines CB, and Sammy Watkins WR

All young and fill needs, and in Watkins case room to improve.

Draft - Trade back to the 20s pick up a 2nd. Draft Taven Bryan in the 1st and best RB avalable with the first 2nd. With the other 2nd, you have the flexibility to truly go BPA

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

If the cap hit on Smith this year is only $17 million (what he was due in KC) ... throwing Dunbar and Foster in there, I guess we’d have $32 million to spend in  FA. I suspect our draft pool will be in the $7-8 million range and you typically want about $7-8 million for in season signings (reason last year was so high - injuries = lot of $$ spent on replacements). So let’s round up to $18 million for draft and in season moves to be safe and have a cushion. You’ve now got $14 million to spend and maneuver to get in FAs and anyone you want to re-sign. Not ideal, but we’ve made moves with less. 

That sounds about right.  I can’t get a handle on whether 49 or 54 mil was our starting point because the rule of 51 clouds it for me, and I’m dumb like that.

So between 9-14 for FA should be the range.  We can land a good FA and maybe sign a couple/few cheap ones (Murphy on a 1 year deal, Bergstrom as insurance or what have you).  Of course, if we tender Nsheke and Everett, that’s going to have an impact.

Think we’re in the neighborhood of 1) choosing between Brown and Breeland, 2) going with a G or DL instead of those two, or 3) signing a bunch of cheaper guys.  

@skinsOLfanLike your thinking, but unfortunately I think it’s wildly optimistic unless we make a major move... and I don’t see many to make on that front.  

Anyone we trade away, we have to pay out their guaranteed money.  Any of our real options to cut come with dead cap. :(

10 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

That sounds about right.  I can’t get a handle on whether 49 or 54 mil was our starting point because the rule of 51 clouds it for me, and I’m dumb like that.

So between 9-14 for FA should be the range.  We can land a good FA and maybe sign a couple/few cheap ones (Murphy on a 1 year deal, Bergstrom as insurance or what have you).  Of course, if we tender Nsheke and Everett, that’s going to have an impact.

Think we’re in the neighborhood of 1) choosing between Brown and Breeland, 2) going with a G or DL instead of those two, or 3) signing a bunch of cheaper guys.  

Over the cap has us at 52.3mill.  Foster listed as FA, so about 50, but there could be other things that changed, but I'm not looking through all.

Brown and Breeland, would bode better for comp picks as Cousins, Pryor, Long should sign deals.  Pryor and Long not large, but should be something.  Not just that, but we know Brown and Breeland play decent in our system.  

31 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

Over the cap has us at 52.3mill.  Foster listed as FA, so about 50, but there could be other things that changed, but I'm not looking through all.

Brown and Breeland, would bode better for comp picks as Cousins, Pryor, Long should sign deals.  Pryor and Long not large, but should be something.  Not just that, but we know Brown and Breeland play decent in our system.  

Yeah, a few days ago Spotrac had us at 54, 49 or so under the rule of 51... but I don’t think they had Foster or Dunbar on there.  So yeah, I don’t really know what we’re working with.  If we go with your 50, minus 3.5 for Dunbar, 17 for Smith and 17 for draft picks/PS/in-season signings, we’re at 12.5.  That’s not going to get us far.  

Breeland and Brown are tough for me because they might be asking for a lot of money.  Not sure if we could swing both if they ask for 7+, and if they ask closer to 10?  I just don’t see it.  I was going to say I’d love to be wrong, but I’m not sure I’d be happy with either one making close to 10 mil.  

Adding onto that, theoretically, Smith’s cap number shoots up several mil in 2019, and we’ll have Scherff, Smith and Crowder due for contracts.  Might be prudent to try to roll over some cap to help there.  

Edit: forgot to ask if Dunbar was included in that 50 mil number, and I forgot to mention Nsheke/Everett as RFAs.  So I guess I’ll stick with my estimate of 9-14 mil in cap space to work with.  I dunno, this stuff hurts my brain.  

20 minutes ago, skinsOLfan said:

Remember DHall, Lavou and Spencer Ling will also be coming off the books. And maybe we restructure Norman, Trent Williams and Kerrigan.

The numbers I listed already had them off the books (along with all of the other FAs).  Restructuring is a possibility I guess (even though Williams and Kerrigan pretty much just got their deals), but I have serious doubts we could work that out... at least in any sort of responsible manner.  

We seem to have some combination of cap wizards and buffoons in the FO, so anything is possible I suppose.  

I trust our FO to manage the cap. One thing they're actually good at. But that being said, one big reason we haven't made big splashes outside of Norman is because it KEEPs us out of cap hell. We haven't had to cut anyone to make room or "save" our space recently, which is good.

But if we go out and sign some huge deals this off-season it will probably put us in that position in the next year or two, although we do have decent cap space in 2020 (like $112 million) so in theory there's room to put contracts on the books down the line.

2 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

I trust our FO to manage the cap. One thing they're actually good at. But that being said, one big reason we haven't made big splashes outside of Norman is because it KEEPs us out of cap hell. We haven't had to cut anyone to make room or "save" our space recently, which is good.

But if we go out and sign some huge deals this off-season it will probably put us in that position in the next year or two, although we do have decent cap space in 2020 (like $112 million) so in theory there's room to put contracts on the books down the line.

That’s a bit misleading though.  Looking at 2019 is easier for me to explain.  We’re projected to have 68 mil in cap space.  That doesn’t include Smith (let’s say 23.5, though it could vary of course), so that takes us to 44.5.  Minus 5 for Foster and Dunbar = 39.5.  Minus 17 for picks, etc. = 22.5.  Minus the 14 or so we use in FA this year (presumably it’s not a bunch of 1 year deals) = 8.5.  Then we subtract whatever we pay the rookies we draft this year... and we’re down to maybe a few million bucks in cap space.  

Sure, we likely cut/trade/restructure some guys, but we also have to make a decision on Scherff (we likely take the rookie option... but we may then extend him in-season) , Smith, Crowder and some lighter weight contracts.  

It’s not cap hell, it just means our resources are very limited.

Point being, looking ahead like that looks great until you dig down.  

FYI, Spotrac now has us at 36 mil in cap space, which included Smith’s 17.  For some reason they don’t have Foster or Dunbar listed yet, so we’re down to 31 or so.  Minus 17 for draft picks etc. puts us at 14 mil remaining for FA this year, which is consistent with what I’ve been thinking.  Hey, maybe I’m not so dumb after all (don’t tell my wife I said that).  

36 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

That’s a bit misleading though.  Looking at 2019 is easier for me to explain.  We’re projected to have 68 mil in cap space.  That doesn’t include Smith (let’s say 23.5, though it could vary of course), so that takes us to 44.5.  Minus 5 for Foster and Dunbar = 39.5.  Minus 17 for picks, etc. = 22.5.  Minus the 14 or so we use in FA this year (presumably it’s not a bunch of 1 year deals) = 8.5.  Then we subtract whatever we pay the rookies we draft this year... and we’re down to maybe a few million bucks in cap space.  

Sure, we likely cut/trade/restructure some guys, but we also have to make a decision on Scherff (we likely take the rookie option... but we may then extend him in-season) , Smith, Crowder and some lighter weight contracts.  

It’s not cap hell, it just means our resources are very limited.

Point being, looking ahead like that looks great until you dig down.  

FYI, Spotrac now has us at 36 mil in cap space, which included Smith’s 17.  For some reason they don’t have Foster or Dunbar listed yet, so we’re down to 31 or so.  Minus 17 for draft picks etc. puts us at 14 mil remaining for FA this year, which is consistent with what I’ve been thinking.  Hey, maybe I’m not so dumb after all (don’t tell my wife I said that).  

thats also not taking into account that the cap has gone up each year, and is expected to continue.. 

25 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

thats also not taking into account that the cap has gone up each year, and is expected to continue.. 

Yep.  That’s maybe 10 million more, assuming things don’t take a downturn. Doesn’t really change the fact that we’re not (and won’t be) in good shape cap wise - instead of looking at 112 million in cap space for 2020, a 10th of that is probably closer to the truth.  

Archived