Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

Count me among those that feel that Anderson is headed for ILB. Short arms, lowest level athleticism but good instincts and work ethic.

Allows them to have Spaight as a reserve on run downs and JHC grows in passing sets. Vigil is the reserve for Foster. All seemed to do reasonably well on special teams. Saves a ton of money at the position.

Galette and Murphy I expect back, the latter on an inexpensive one year prove-it deal. Even if there is only one who returns of these two, that's the minimum. 

Based on the database above, and obviously anything can happen with these players before Next month, but let’s dissect this a little and see where we should really be pursuing FAs and what we should be finding in the draft.  I think it’s also notable to consider balancing younger rookie players with veterans at any given position.  This helps to balance cap space, right?

so:

RB

Bell (!?)

Mckinnon

Hyde

lets make a run at any of these guys.  Any of them will balance well with CT and Perine.

OG

A Norwell

J Pugh

J Mewhort

DT

S Richardson

D Poe

B Logan

S Lotululei

Kyle Williams

CB

M Butler

Tr Johnson

Kyle Fuller (why not?!)

Morrus Claiborne (ding ding ding)

S

L Joyner

E Reid

M Burnett

WR

Allen Robinson

S Watkins

M Lee

D Montcrief

J Brown

EDGE

D Lawrence?  He’s more of a 4-3 end... not a lot of edge this year on the market.

i think in this order of importance, based on these few selections, we should prioritize these positions in FA:

DT

RB

OG

WR

safety depends on what the deal is with Su’a.  Hoping and praying he returns because the dude is a straight playmaker and he had serious concussion symptoms until Last December.

so that said, in the draft in rounds 1 and 2, assuming we don’t trade back, we should be considering BPA.  To me snagging one of the top two WRs will make a huge difference in the offense and would fill an immediate need.  We need like two new WRs.  I just don’t see this FA pool being the whole answer for WR.  DT draft class is deep and we have the coaching to bring someone along from the later rounds and up to rotate with Johnathan and one of these FA DTs that can make an immediate impact.

And then if Lamar Jackson is there in 2nd round, or even mason Rudolph, I think we’d have to really think about that.  This class of QBs is incredible and it’s not out of the question to still pull one in the 2nd, but also a deeper QB could be just as valuable.

Lots of ways to cut it!  Just spitballin 

1 minute ago, DC9 said:

Leveon Bell is a tremendous running back, but if he wants 30 million guaranteed (which he said he wanted at the Super Bowl) then that is a hard pass.

Man, was just reading up on a Bell. Yep seems like the Steelers will get him back but 30mil plus over the first 2 years, fully gtd, that's a stack.

17 minutes ago, freakofthesouth said:

A Norwell

J Pugh

J Mewhort

Think Norwell hits the Giants.

Really like Mewhort, wanted him drafted here. Knackered knee's now though I think.

18 minutes ago, freakofthesouth said:

safety depends on what the deal is with Su’a.  Hoping and praying he returns because the dude is a straight playmaker and he had serious concussion symptoms until Last December.

Don't hate your list at all, but I would like to bring in dudes to fill a specific role in FA.  Having all of the talent in the world isn't going to help us win games if those guys aren't able to do what the team needs them to do to win football games.  This is why the Eagles have 26 running backs.  It's why they ran cover 2 beaters last night with big WRs like Jeffrey and Agholar.  Then occasionally they'd pepper in TE and they'd do well running the ball.  Philosophically the only dude to understand this the last 20 years has been Scot.  Unfortunately he missed on some picks and rubbed whomever the wrong way. It's part of the disappointment from the Fuller trade - which represents a departure from that line of thinking (dude is the best slot corner in the game - you can't just get a Josh Norman who is a great corner to come be the slot corner, cause it's a different skillset). I digress.

I think we can move on from Sua from what I've read.  There is a lack of trust with him there.  Another Scot miss.  A "football player" who isn't in love with the game.

I'd love to draft a kid in the 1st two rounds to get back there with DJ.  Monte also looked fantastic when he was healthy.

9 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

Man, was just reading up on a Bell. Yep seems like the Steelers will get him back but 30mil plus over the first 2 years, fully gtd, that's a stack.

We could get two starting linemen for that money, haha.

7 minutes ago, DC9 said:

7 minutes ago, DC9 said:

Don't hate your list at all, but I would like to bring in dudes to fill a specific role in FA.  Having all of the talent in the world isn't going to help us win games if those guys aren't able to do what the team needs them to do to win football games.  This is why the Eagles have 26 running backs.  It's why they ran cover 2 beaters last night with big WRs like Jeffrey and Agholar.  Then occasionally they'd pepper in TE and they'd do well running the ball.  Philosophically the only dude to understand this the last 20 years has been Scot.  Unfortunately he missed on some picks and rubbed whomever the wrong way. It's part of the disappointment from the Fuller trade - which represents a departure from that line of thinking (dude is the best slot corner in the game - you can't just get a Josh Norman who is a great corner to come be the slot corner, cause it's a different skillset). I digress.

I think we can move on from Sua from what I've read.  There is a lack of trust with him there.  Another Scot miss.  A "football player" who isn't in love with the game.

I'd love to draft a kid in the 1st two rounds to get back there with DJ.  Monte also looked fantastic when he was healthy.

Yeah I mean I hate the idea that things got so botched with our QB situation that we had to let go of a seriously talented young draft pick of ours.  That said, the QB position, with all of its intricacies and responsibility, is the most important position on the field.  Kendall Fuller was an epic slot corner and was coming into his own and will be missed.  torian Gray may or may not have known this was going to happen... being a V tech guy it’s tough for him... you gotta figure that they have a plan either via FA or just were feeling good enough with Moreau coming up that they could part ways.  Questionable for sure and he will be missed, but I get the smith trade and I like that we have him.

now re Su’a I for sure heard he was still recovering from his concussion symptoms all last year... it’s vry strange and maybe we don’t have the full story, but I’m not writing him off yet. HE was our 2nd rounder, I mean, that’s a bigger loss than fuller IMHO, at least, asset/value-wise.

id also add in that re safety, we just drafted monte and it’s going well. We just signed D.J. and it’s going well.  Inevitably, really only two safeties can be on the field at the same time (obviously sometimes teams employ 3 safeties).  So all in all, that’s a lot of resources to spend in a short time on a position if we went 1st round Derwin, which I am not altogether opposed to.  Plus again, I feel like there are some Fa options there as we have a lot of youth currently on the roster at FA and not a lot of vet savvy aside from DJ who I love btw.  Just trying to sort out the Shhh storm if you will.

38 minutes ago, freakofthesouth said:

id also add in that re safety, we just drafted monte and it’s going well. We just signed D.J. and it’s going well.  Inevitably, really only two safeties can be on the field at the same time (obviously sometimes teams employ 3 safeties).  So all in all, that’s a lot of resources to spend in a short time on a position if we went 1st round Derwin, which I am not altogether opposed to.  Plus again, I feel like there are some Fa options there as we have a lot of youth currently on the roster at FA and not a lot of vet savvy aside from DJ who I love btw.  Just trying to sort out the Shhh storm if you will.

James is a gamechanger though, allegedly.  If you have a chance to draft a dude who is supposed to be the next Earl Thomas then you take him.  In theory you can only have two safeties on the field, but I would bet that one could play nickel or dime or even LB.  I'd be totally fine with a dude anywhere in the middle of the defense in round one.  Ideally it's a LB, but we'll see.  Can't go wrong making the spine better.

24 minutes ago, DC9 said:

James is a gamechanger though, allegedly.  If you have a chance to draft a dude who is supposed to be the next Earl Thomas then you take him.  In theory you can only have two safeties on the field, but I would bet that one could play nickel or dime or even LB.  I'd be totally fine with a dude anywhere in the middle of the defense in round one.  Ideally it's a LB, but we'll see.  Can't go wrong making the spine better.

Oh totally agree, you really have to draft a gamebreaker with your #13 overall.  I’ve seen D James get the Eric Berry comp... but then again if you also have on the board, a ODB type WR, or a Marshawn Lynch type RB in Guice, who’s the best option?  What about the Michael Vick esque QB that could absolutely light it up into the NFL?  Can we really pass on that?  I mean at this point we probably will, but there is a ton of talent this year.  

My hope for ILB is that we resign ZB.  He was a perfect fit and hopefully he feels at home maybe a little after a s pretty successful season?

The only thing a team can do is have an airtight big board and balance it with their current roster and possible FA targets.  BSed on that philosophy, I see very little in FA for the type of WR that we need on the field, like, now.  

Deeper safeties exist too in the draft that *could* pan out even better than James, who knows sometimes, right, anything can happen really.  However, speed is speed and athletic ability can be measured. James is a gonna test through the roof at the combine, no doubt.  Not ruling him out!  He will ball for sure.

12 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Would love to see us get another stud safety...havent had one since Taylor. I could also live with a stud offensive lineman to keep building that line. Not sexy but it's where games are won.

Hopefully we can snag one of these FAs, keep Long as a backup and develop Chase For starting C.  Otherwise, look, Q Nelson won’t be there at 13 and besides, having two 1st round guards on the payroll is a lot of cap space.  Totally worth it, but also not that feasible.  If we can’t find the right addition in FA then we should hope and pray that a will hernenedez is there for our 2nd rounder.  There is some depth later on in the draft here as well.  Day one starter they’d have to be early on.  Not a lot of Gs in FA so we’ll see, but it seems like they have to have a plan here to get a starter. Super important tho. We can get another RB but with no interior push we ain’t sheet.

1 hour ago, carex said:

I thought he had been playing well for them

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

For 2016. 
He was one of the worst starting/nickel corners this season.

They figured out the double move.... which got him cut here.  Among other things, including his attitude.

Im gonna geek out a little bit more and share with you guys my current madden roster.

resigned Z Brown.

made a trade for an OG whose name I can’t remember.

signed Jerrick McKinnon (beast).

“Drafted” via downloaded roster C Kirk, Dorance Armstrong Jr (edge), and Armani Watts (S)

developed I.e. bumped the stats only a little! On C Rullier, starting C, and Fabian Moreau, starting CB2.  Honestly I bumped c kirks speed a little too as I thought it was slightly underrated.

Net results are incredible.  Listen I play lot of madden, on all pro, and this team, in particular, this offense is sick nasty.  I kid you not, the season I just ended, Alex Smith had over 7,000 yards passing and C Kirk hauled in 152 catches for 4500 yards and 52 touchdowns.  I have never had that great a season.  Ever.  Lol man.

also Alex Smith is sneaky quick and mobile.  I heard an interviewer say ’hey you’re the fastest QB in the league’ and AS said that probably Marcus (Mariota) could take him but that’s about  it. 

15 hours ago, freakofthesouth said:

Hopefully we can snag one of these FAs, keep Long as a backup and develop Chase For starting C.  Otherwise, look, Q Nelson won’t be there at 13 and besides, having two 1st round guards on the payroll is a lot of cap space.  Totally worth it, but also not that feasible.  If we can’t find the right addition in FA then we should hope and pray that a will hernenedez is there for our 2nd rounder.  There is some depth later on in the draft here as well.  Day one starter they’d have to be early on.  Not a lot of Gs in FA so we’ll see, but it seems like they have to have a plan here to get a starter. Super important tho. We can get another RB but with no interior push we ain’t sheet.

Long is a free agent and reports are we don't plan on signing him.  

as far as free agents go, I've heard Chicago is planning on releasing Sitton in an attempt to save some money.   Might be worth a look. 

8 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

Long is a free agent and reports are we don't plan on signing him.  

as far as free agents go, I've heard Chicago is planning on releasing Sitton in an attempt to save some money.   Might be worth a look. 

*How 'bout 6'-4", 325 lbs., FREE AGENT, C/LG DAMIEN LOVE, of 'Bama State University (Alabama State -- HBCU)?!?

11 hours ago, LetMeSeeYourWarFace21 said:

I'm hoping we make a strong run at Jerrick McKinnon..........

Seems to be a popular choice.  One of those cats who seems like he's been around forever but he's only 25.

He knows how to get behind those pads, though.

Archived