Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Kicker Thread

757SeanTaylor21

If I am Jay, I at least bring Nick Rose back during training camp to compete with Hopkins.  Hopkins was money when we first signed him, the first guy since maybe Gano that had a cannon for a leg, however Hopkins started to miss too many gimmes and one that likely cost a playoff berth in 2016.

Nick Rose probably hasn't been put in the ice cold situation yet of winning/losing the game based on his kick, but so far he seems to make the kicks that need to be made.  I am not ready to say he unseats Hopkins, but what is the harm in bringing him back to compete?

1 hour ago, Bonez3 said:

Still hasn't really hit a 'big kick' that counted. Seems like he has English on every kick that makes me sweat every time he goes out there. Color me skeptical but I'm not sold

I don't think he's really been given the chance to. That 55 harder when we needed points against minny is worth mentioning. 

5 hours ago, Bacon said:

We could have beaten the Saints if not for Jay refusing to let the man kick. 

But that's the past. I guess. 

Man I wish he had the damn chance to kick for the win there.  The more I think about how the refs screwed us those last 30 seconds the more I get pissed off.  I personally think he would have made a 52 yard FG for the win.

13 minutes ago, TheGreek1973 said:

Man I wish he had the damn chance to kick for the win there.  The more I think about how the refs screwed us those last 30 seconds the more I get pissed off.  I personally think he would have made a 52 yard FG for the win.

If they hadn't wasted their time outs they could've ran the ball a couple times and made it a 40 to 45 yarder. 

Of course it's possible that the script would then require the refs to call a questionable offensive holding on our OL. 

I think Rose has done a good job so far. He definitely has a strong leg has been accurate. The kicks in the Giants game were really crazy though. I've never seen so much movement with the ball but they all went through without issue. He just needs more practice with his onside kicks.

• 2 weeks later...

Rose has certainly done enough to warrant being in the conversation for next year. I'm hopeful that the next 4 games will allow Gruden to get a better feel for how he stacks up against Hopkins. Rose has been money to date, both with distance and accuracy. Sans the blocked attempt during Dallas1 and a quirky onside kick in his first start of course. Not that it is significantly greater, his 55 yarder already beats Hopkins career longest. Dustin is eligible to return week 15, but unless Rose blows an opportunity, we may not see him again until training camp.

Archived