Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

8 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I have my doubts that Bruce will trust a make or break year on Colt's health, Johnson and a rookie. 

I agree, we'll bring someone in.

I think we'll view Smith as being done, simply a cap number now, so I believe we will spend more cash on a new starter than people think. I can really see Dalton, two years left on his deal. Think that fits with where we are. 

8 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I have my doubts that Bruce will trust a make or break year on Colt's health, Johnson and a rookie. My guesses Tyrod Taylor. He'd be fairly cheap, will likely accept being a backup and wouldn't get in the way of a rookie or Smith's return. 

Well the thing is that Bruce is cheap. So Mr Pennypinching Bruce isn't just going to go to Taylor and say here's a 20 mil deal. So instead he'll get a competitive offer. That'll be something that other teams (maybe Jax) can compete with and probably beat. So then we'll have Bruce saying "but of course they'll choos DC, Its the Skins for heavens sake. We have 3 SB wins" and then Taylor will choose to play in Jax, or to sit out of football until somebody gets hurt. I think thats the main fear about this offseason, Bruce being Bruce

27 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I agree, we'll bring someone in.

I think we'll view Smith as being done, simply a cap number now, so I believe we will spend more cash on a new starter than people think. I can really see Dalton, two years left on his deal. Think that fits with where we are. 

So then our QB situation would be Dalton, McCoy & say Drafted QB as the 3rd.... I be fine with that scenario if it happened.  My only hope then would be not to draft a guy any higher then the 3rd or 4th then.

im going to get blasted for saying this, but has anyone ever thought that if the OL got better and we actually had more targets then our TE when healthy that maybe just maybe Colt McCoy wouldn’t be that bad (and stays healthy) I mean I’m old enough to remember that Mark Rypien wasn’t anything to write home about, he was Jay Schroeder back up for years and I could even go as far as saying when we had Rich Gannon and Trent Green too that nobody would have ever thought they would have had the careers they had when they got the chance.  I’m not saying Colt will ever be any of those guys I mentioned but I still think put him in a scenario and surround him with actual talent to succeed and he could actually do something as be successful 

9 hours ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

I have my doubts that Bruce will trust a make or break year on Colt's health, Johnson and a rookie. My guesses Tyrod Taylor. He'd be fairly cheap, will likely accept being a backup and wouldn't get in the way of a rookie or Smith's return. 

I heard it yesterday and couldn’t believe it so I googled it myself.  Tyrod Taylor got a 2yr 30,500.00 deal from the Browns (even in a great season he wasn’t worth that) so I’m wondering if he really would come cheap to the Skins or any other team for that matter?

I’d rather trade a 3rd or 4th for a Jacoby Brisset and have him on the cheap for one year. He seems to provide similar on field attributes (Don’t have enough info to comment on intangibles off the field) of an Alex Smith. Pretty sure Brisset is getting paid 3rd to 5th round money on his current rookie deal. 

I recognize above requires a trade and is less likely to happen. Point being, I’d rather trade for a guy on a rookie deal. 

Ill pass on adding average salary QBs (15-20mil) who are average, due to current status of funds as it relates to Smith. 

6 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I have my doubts that Bruce sees it as a make or break year.  None of the actions taken to this point indicate that he’s in any trouble.  He’s like a kid with parents that never discipline, he can just do whatever he wants without fear.  

An understandable opinion, and one that's hard to argue with. However, given the years of failures, the declining ticket sales combined with any fan takeovers, the now basically unanimous media condemnation, the #FireBruceAllen campaign and the reports that Bruce is selling Dan on the "we're close, but injuries" narrative, even he has to worry about what a 6-10 season would pretend for him.

And, more relevant to my point, if Colt predictably gets hurt and the contingency plans are Josh Johnson and/or a rookie, even with an easy schedule 6-10 is optimistic.

6 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

Well the thing is that Bruce is cheap. So Mr Pennypinching Bruce isn't just going to go to Taylor and say here's a 20 mil deal. So instead he'll get a competitive offer. That'll be something that other teams (maybe Jax) can compete with and probably beat. So then we'll have Bruce saying "but of course they'll choos DC, Its the Skins for heavens sake. We have 3 SB wins" and then Taylor will choose to play in Jax, or to sit out of football until somebody gets hurt. I think thats the main fear about this offseason, Bruce being Bruce

5 hours ago, ashlynskins said:

I heard it yesterday and couldn’t believe it so I googled it myself.  Tyrod Taylor got a 2yr 30,500.00 deal from the Browns (even in a great season he wasn’t worth that) so I’m wondering if he really would come cheap to the Skins or any other team for that matter?

Taylor got that deal from Buffalo, not Cleveland. And he was coming off two fairly decent years and was their only real starting option. He ain't getting that deal again, much less $20 mil.

Apart from us, there appear to be 3 teams that definitely want a new starting QB next year- Jacksonville, Denver, NY Giants- and maybe Carolin will go for someone to hold down the fort if they think Cam won't be ready to start the season. Meanwhile, looks like at least 3 QBs will likely go in the top half of the first round and there are at least two vets who will be available who are a good deal better than Taylor- Foles and Flacco. Then there's Bridgewater, who you could argue vs Taylor, but is definitely younger and seems like much more upside. There are also a couple of other QBs who could slip into the first round and a couple of decent stop gap FA options- MCown, Fitzpatrick.

BTW, there are three other teams who could also go fro new QBs this year-Miami, Cincinnati, Oakland- but each of those teams would then likely dump QBs who are better than Taylor onto the market. So that doesn't really change the QB market it just shuffles pieces around.

There is no starting spot for Taylor out there. And certainly no team that's going to spend a ton on him. He'd be lucky to find a spot like ours where he has a good chance of playing. His price tag is likely to be somewhere between  Fitzpatrick (3.5 mil) to McCown (10).

36 minutes ago, Mrshadow008 said:

I am absolutely baffled right now there are actually people on the redskins Twitter that are staunchly defending the FO 

The thing is that if you judge the FO solely by the moves they made, the track record isn't that bad. So if this were say a game of Madden and it was just players in and players out, no news media leaks, no twitter rumors, no coaching interviews for positions that aren't available, etc. If we judged by the Ruben Foster pickup (again without the charges) its a good move. Heck, even with the charges its debatable. 

But our FO is a circus in the media. I've long debated why, and I think certain papers and certain people at certain papers have frustrations with the team for various reasons, but much of the circus is self made. Whatever was going on with Scot, and all the rumors that came out, they put out there that he was away because of his grandmother. It'd be one thing if that was the story that they and Scot had agreed was going to be pushed, but that was so easily exposed as a lie. And thats why we're stuck in this cycle. We're good enough to compete with just about anybody but at any time in a season (more likely in November) things can just blow up and take the whole team and fan morale down to nothing. 

Honestly, I wonder what the next big story will be? I doubt its something lame like who we sign (or don't sign) in FA or who we draft (or don't draft). Those are the frustrations and excitements of every team. Nah, we're going to take things to new levels. What big trade are we going to make? Are we going to lock the doors on some coach? Will Snyder be seen with some big personnel guy or ol school coach? I heard he likes Cowher. Or will it be another Zorn-like "I won't fire him, but I'll make his work environment so bad he'll want to quit". We'll see

15 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

The thing is that if you judge the FO solely by the moves they made, the track record isn't that bad. So if this were say a game of Madden and it was just players in and players out, no news media leaks, no twitter rumors, no coaching interviews for positions that aren't available, etc. If we judged by the Ruben Foster pickup (again without the charges) its a good move. Heck, even with the charges its debatable. 

But our FO is a circus in the media. I've long debated why, and I think certain papers and certain people at certain papers have frustrations with the team for various reasons, but much of the circus is self made. Whatever was going on with Scot, and all the rumors that came out, they put out there that he was away because of his grandmother. It'd be one thing if that was the story that they and Scot had agreed was going to be pushed, but that was so easily exposed as a lie. And thats why we're stuck in this cycle. We're good enough to compete with just about anybody but at any time in a season (more likely in November) things can just blow up and take the whole team and fan morale down to nothing. 

Honestly, I wonder what the next big story will be? I doubt its something lame like who we sign (or don't sign) in FA or who we draft (or don't draft). Those are the frustrations and excitements of every team. Nah, we're going to take things to new levels. What big trade are we going to make? Are we going to lock the doors on some coach? Will Snyder be seen with some big personnel guy or ol school coach? I heard he likes Cowher. Or will it be another Zorn-like "I won't fire him, but I'll make his work environment so bad he'll want to quit". We'll see

What stunned me more than anything was I literally posted #FireBruceAllen and #Winningoffthefield and there were literally people going off on me. I mean I’m talking cussed out and told to go find another team if I didn’t like the decisions the team makes. I mean I understand sticking by your team but good lord. 

15 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

What stunned me more than anything was I literally posted #FireBruceAllen and #Winningoffthefield and there were literally people going off on me. I mean I’m talking cussed out and told to go find another team if I didn’t like the decisions the team makes. I mean I understand sticking by your team but good lord. 

1 hour ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Are you sure they're real people?wouldn't surprise me if the front office hired some bots to auto reply to fans who are upset, particularly with that hash tag

4 hours ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Mere cattle

8 hours ago, Mrshadow008 said:

I am absolutely baffled right now there are actually people on the redskins Twitter that are staunchly defending the FO 

I haven't really bashed Bruce on twitter in part because I follow a bunch of Redskins fans and try to not say much about much just to get as much full gamut opinion -- out of curiosity to see what the fan base thinks.  On this board, I am not shy to attack Bruce and Dan and its led me into some heated debates with some of their defenders for years.  So I know that rodeo well.

I admire the people that are doing the firebruce stuff on twitter and I track it.  And the fact that the movement has gotten press play I think is huge.  So I hope it keeps cooking. I get the impression listening to reporters that Bruce likely is telling Dan something to the effect that it will die down once they start winning next season.   Thus, Dan might not like it now but he's likely reassured that its going to go away.

I'd say before the last season there was about 20% give or take of fans that had Dan-Bruce's back on twitter.   Now I'd put it at about 5% at best but they are very vocal.   The key is I think they feel surrounded by the critics (which they are) and lash on to the idea of having Bruce-Dan's back makes them better Redskins fans.

My thought on that is to each their own so if they want to think that way fine.  My opinion is they are the worst Redskins fans in part because some of the people who cover the team say Bruce-Dan (especially Bruce) cling to these homer fans to justify everything they do and act like they represent the majority of them.   

8 hours ago, Mrshadow008 said:

That surprises me, because I’ve been paying attention to everything the Skins put up on social media, and it’s always bombarded with #FireBruceAllen.  There have been times where over 100 comments in none are positive.  Warms my heart.

2 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

That surprises me, because I’ve been paying attention to everything the Skins put up on social media, and it’s always bombarded with #FireBruceAllen.  There have been times where over 100 comments in none are positive.  Warms my heart.

Wouldn't shock me me if Bruce has some burner accounts on it now.  The idea that Bruce is gatekeeping letters going to Redskins Park that talk about firing him -- another sign that he's trying to gate keep the whole thing.

It doesn't worry me much because I think it comes crashing down when they likely have a bad season next season.  As Michael Phillips said the other day the one good thing about the Bruce press conference from a fan point of view is he doubled down hard that they will have a good season next year so if it doesn't go down he has no way to wiggle his way out.

On 1/30/2019 at 9:41 AM, XtremeFan55 said:

Richardson was forced to sell the Panthers last year over sexual harassment claims.  Same thing almost happened with McNair of the Houston Texans.  So it can happen if the national heat becomes too intense and the revenues get threatened.

It is all about money.   Jerry Jones owns the most profitable franchise so he is safe regardless of any personal scandals.  But when the League sees the 3rd most profitable Redskins fall off a cliff like what happened last year, there is that chance because now it’s about revenues.

The TV negotiations will be coming up soon and the league is already dealing with declining fan interest issues which they blamed on the National Anthem protests but in reality the millennial generation is not as interested in sports like the previous generation due to a wide spectrum of entertainment choices. The League is scared and have been the past several years.  Therefore they will act more severely than in the past like in the days of Al Davis.  They have to protect the Shield and the status quo at all costs. 

When you add in the precipitous drop in attendance in Redskins games in 2018 from 3rd highest to 27th place....then see the fan revolt coupled with the Redskins not doing or being able to improve for 2019 which could very well see those attendance numbers drop even more....the League is going to see a problem and a threat to their revenues that they share.  You can’t have a team that was consistently ranked third in attendance with a reputation of having extremely loyal fans that made Washington one of the premier markets come tumbling down due to dysfunctional management and cavalier arrogance.  The League will tolerate personal scandals as long it isn’t damaging like sexual harassment which came to the forefront due to Harvey Weinstein which forced them to act or become a national target....but they can’t tolerate damage to their revenues.

The League knows Dan and Bruce are inept and a laughing stock.   Another year like this year of even greater decline in attendance at games plus a losing record with Elizabeth Warren bringing back the issue of the Redskins racist team name and Dan’s stubbornness to keep it at all costs could very well lead to the League stepping in and forcing change first then voting to have the team sold at auction.  I believe LaFemina was sent to try to salvage the business side of the Redskins due to the declining revenues and now that he has been fired, I believe the League is at the tipping point of dealing with this ‘bad’ partner in their Cartel.

I know it's all about money, but you're overstating the importance of the Washington Redskins franchise to the rest of the league, particularly in light of the fact that the NFL has now penetrated and earned the market interest of the 3rd most economically prosperous city in the entire world (Los Angeles) by fielding two winning teams. Money is rolling in. Would the NFL *like* a strong and prosperous Washington Redskins franchise? Of course. But are the losses the organization have incurred over the past decade and more enough to raise concerns from the other owners? I don't think so. We've been losers for a long time. If the 'Skins were vital or important to the NFL, the league would have stepped in a long time ago or at least we would have heard murmurs about it by now. We haven't heard a peep in over 20 years of futility.

We all want someone to come in riding on a white horse to save us, but the owners look after their own and the commissioner doesn't have that kind of pull 

Archived