Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Bruce Allen/GM Thread

Makaveli

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I believe this is true.  I think he knew what a mess this organization is and wanted to follow McVay to LA.

I don't think Pleasant is some sort of big loss. That secondary, with all the talent they have, has underachieved this season

10 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Spot on, SIP.  Dan is not listening to the fans.  The big question is will he ever?

My gut is he has to see everything that happened last year happen again.  Bruce seemed to convince him it was all about injuries.  And Jay likely convinced him they will be fine with Colt.  And Bruce blamed lack of fan attendance on Lafemina.  And TV ratings declining on injuries or whatever.  I think they likely see some of the fan angst but attribute it to just run of the mill upset about the losing at the end of the season and fans are missing the forest for the trees.

It looks like it has to go down again.   Bad attendance.  Declining TV ratings.  Fans going ape.  Losing.  And my gut is it all happens. 

I've never been so relaxed about an off season because I really don't care what they do.  There is an upside for every scenario.  If by chance they get it right by some hook or crook then great. 

If they don't, then I think they maybe lose the battle to win the war. The 2020 draft is looking epic and not just at QB.  If 2019 needs to crash to get rid of Bruce and they luck into a franchise QB or a Beckham type receiver like Jeudy, I am cool.  

And heck I'd love it 1000 times more if it makes Dan sell but am skeptical on that so I'll be satisfied for him being at least humiliated and maybe then the 50th time is the charm for him and he finally learns about how to build a winning culture -- doubt it though. 

2 minutes ago, method man said:

I don't think Pleasant is some sort of big loss. That secondary, with all the talent they have, has underachieved this season

To me the point about Pleasant is they lost him because they were outbid for him by the Rams.  If the new reality is the culture at Redskins Park is checkered at best and they are cheap too -- might not be easy to land your targets.

1 minute ago, dyst said:

Blache, Haslett, Barry and Manusky...these names tell me this...

1. We probably can't get top echelon coalesces to come here or  Jay is an idiot.

2. With that Mount Rushmore of names, it's no wonder our defense has sucked for decades.

3. I don't think any of those guys got DC jobs after leaving us, and probably never will.

1. Nope. Jay may or may not be an idiot--Snyder and Allen definitely are.

2. We finally have a modicum of talent on the defense: Allen, Payne, Swearinger, Clinton-Dix, Ionnaidis, Kerrigan...and we are completely inept and ends up getting Swearinger cut.

3. Don't think they even got any consideration after leaving here.

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

I recall reading that the Rams offered him more money and the Redskins liked him a lot but didn't want to pay what the Rams were paying -- and got Torain cheaper.

That's right.  They were waiting on his decision and it took a long time.  Thanks again, SIP.  :)

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I recall reading that the Rams offered him more money and the Redskins liked him a lot but didn't want to pay what the Rams were paying -- and got Torain cheaper.

Bruce offered him a deal, and he requested more money. The team said no, and went and got Gray.

They weren't technically outbid. They were being cheap, and didn't want to pay what he was looking for.

From the dude who worked with Bruce in Oakland -- I presume Bruce is involved in the coordinator hiring process

https://theathletic.com/754125/2019/01/07/nfl-hiring-coaching-process-2019-frank-reich-sean-mcvay/

Why is the system so flawed? Some of it has to do with what former NY Giants General Manager George Young called the “guard your desk mentality.” Young believed that most NFL executives never want to hire the most qualified person, they want someone who’s easy to get along with and who has minimal coaching experience, which won’t allow them to threaten the General Manager’s authority. (I realize for fans that is hard to understand as they want to win and want the best coach possible and it’s difficult to grasp the extent of  the politics that occur in most organizations over the desk guarding mentality. My next book might be titled, “The NFL: Where Politics Rule”). Protecting the GM’s turf 

5 minutes ago, Tay said:

They weren't technically outbid. They were being cheap, and didn't want to pay what he was looking for.

I’m not sure there is much more depressing than being frugal on non salary capped entities like front office, coaches, trainers, doctors, facilities.  Particularly when the business is one that makes money and increases in value for the mere fact of existing.

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I’m not sure there is much more depressing than being frugal on non salary capped entities like front office, coaches, trainers, doctors, facilities.  Particularly when the business is one that makes money and increases in value for the mere fact of existing.

That's a narrative I've heard quite a bit lately. Dan had been known to be willing to throw around money for players, but has always been cheap when it relates to all other staff.

Sad that they don't truly invest in the entire organization.

1 minute ago, Tay said:

That's a narrative I've heard quite a bit lately. Dan had been known to be willing to throw around money for players, but has always been cheap when it relates to all other staff.

Sad that they don't truly invest in the entire organization.

He did though pay big for coaches and coordinators.  Doesn't seem the case anymore.  Where he was cheap rep wise pre Bruce was the FO -- personnel, scouting.   Now it looks like he's cheap on everything. 

The idea that he will spend whatever it takes to win (that used to be the mantra to defend him) -- that's passe.  Not the case anymore.

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He did though pay big for coaches and coordinators.  Doesn't seem the case anymore.  Where he was cheap rep wise pre Bruce was the FO -- personnel, scouting.   Now it looks like he's cheap on everything. 

The idea that he will spend whatever it takes to win (that used to be the mantra to defend him) -- that's passe.  Not the case anymore.

Maybe it's because Dan is running out of cash?

Just now, bird_1972 said:

Maybe it's because Dan is running out of cash?

Who knows.  But the Dan is willing to spend whatever it takes to win -- that narrative is come and gone.  Redskins now seem to be cheap across the board.

This place is now like Cleveland once was -- an undesirable place to go to.  In Dan's younger years he could at least lure some top names by overpaying and over-promising them.  Those days seem to be gone, too. 

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Who knows.  But the Dan is willing to spend whatever it takes to win -- that narrative is come and gone.  Redskins now seem to be cheap across the board.

This place is now like Cleveland once was -- an undesirable place to go to.  In Dan's younger years he could at least lure some top names by overpaying and over-promising them.  Those days seem to be gone, too. 

Reason I even mention the cash-flow issue, it appears (and I believe someone mentioned it's a known phenomenon) that Snyder is cash poor. Most of his net worth is tied up in illiquid assets. This might explain why he's looking to sell that garish house of his in Potomac, MD: 

https://wtop.com/local/2018/10/redskins-owner-snyder-is-selling-his-md-mansion-near-the-potomac-river/ 

5 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Reason I even mention the cash-flow issue, it appears (and I believe someone mentioned it's a known phenomenon) that Snyder is cash poor. Most of his net worth is tied up in illiquid assets. This might explain why he's looking to sell that garish house of his in Potomac, MD: 

https://wtop.com/local/2018/10/redskins-owner-snyder-is-selling-his-md-mansion-near-the-potomac-river/ 

That could be it.  But whatever it is, the dude these days is mostly cheap across the board.   I still sometimes hear people say at least the dude is willing to throw his money at problems.  That's not the case though anymore.

His business failings actually affecting his lifestyle (due to lack of liquidity) is our one and only chance he ever sells. Really though it's hopeless. NFL teams are rarely sold unless someone dies or there's a scandal. 

2 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Did your ears itch or something, summoning you here to defend your honor?  Don’t flatter yourself, there were more than a few brimming with optimism over the offseason per usual, touting the exact same thing you were.  

I actually think it’s ridiculous that Gray was served walking papers because he was asked like many in Washington, to turn poop into ice cream...quickly.

The main point was that players will always reign supreme over coaching and letting folks go and expecting a coach to make everyone awesome is what losers do.

My spidey senses were tingling.

Very good argument to be had that if we hadn't cycled through 4 QB's we would have hosted a playoff game last weekend. But we'll never know. And before that gives you a coronary, remember, I'm fully supportive and have advocated we need a change at the top.

Gray was given some good pieces. Let's not act like Haha, Norman, and Swearinger are nobodies. Moreau was a first round talent as well. But overall I thought he did a pretty darn good job in some tight spots and was good at developing players, sad to see him go.

Just listened to Russell. What he's hearing:

A. They are hot for Bowles, its beyond just poking at it, they are pursuing it.

B.  They see this also as giving something to fans especially if Bruce stays -- Russell thinks Bruce stays

If B is true, hiring Bowles doesn't mean squat to me.  I don't know much about him aside from he runs an aggressive defense and the NY reporters thinks his mild manner demeanor allows the prisoners to run the asylum 

4 minutes ago, Capsman said:

Maybe keeping Allen for a couple more years is our best road to Trevor Lawrence.  Give him more time to screw things up.  

I was thinking the same thing last night. Maybe we want Bruce around for 2 more years.

True long term planning

7 minutes ago, Tay said:

I was thinking the same thing last night. Maybe we want Bruce around for 2 more years.

True long term planning

My thought is I think they have it in them to pull off a down year in spite their best efforts to avoid it.   I've not felt that way in previous years.    So am sure Bruce and Jay (and I understand why they'd do it and don't fault them for it) would never take a step back to take a step forward later considering I do think their job status is tenuous for 2019.  I think they might just take a step back even though they'd fight it from going down.  But yeah another "meh" FA crop from Bruce, letting your FAs go, not building depth at O line, etc -- that might be what we need for Tua in 2020 or better yet Lawrence in 2021. 

The thing about Dan's years is he never lucked out to be in a position to get a bonafide franchise QB in the draft.  They often stink but they are never the worst team in the NFL or really the 2nd worst sans 2013 when they ironically didn't own the pick.   And while I disagree with those who imply Dan does things ok but he's just been hampered by bad luck at QB -- I do agree that a franchise killer good QB can overcome some of the dysfunction that you continually get under Dan.

The problem is Gruden is just barely good enough of a coach and Skins have just enough talent to consistently pull out 5-8 wins every year.. doesn't matter if the teams waterboy is your QB. That will make it real tough to have a shot at a top flight QB prospect.

Archived